Should the be shared or not?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SBMongoos, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

Is this something that should be allowed or not? Looks like it would allow me to share outside my local network.

http://www.yourwns.com/files/eset.jpg

Also, when trying to access my laptop (Win7 HP 64bit) from my desktop (Win7 Pro 64bit) I'm getting this error. I can access the desktop from the laptop however. Seems to be something in the firewall but I cannot figure it out.

http://www.yourwns.com/files/error-.jpg

Doesn't matter if I use name or IP address.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what did you connect to your machine, mobile or some other net enabled device?

3. SBMongoos

Well, this issue has been going on for a while. With my old laptop (Win XP Pro) and now my new laptop. I have added a NAS but I can see it fine. Odd it never shows up on it's own under Network (Windows Explorer) as most of the time I need to enter \\NAS into the search and then it shows in Windows Explorer. But I can never get to my laptop. If I enter the IP address I get the error message you see. If I enter the name of the laptop I get asked for the login information but the login always fails. User name and password are correct. So it seems something else is blocking me.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

anything that is on your trusted network allow to share

5. SBMongoos

I assume it's setup okay but apparently not. I have it set to "interactive". That's why I'm here trying to figure it out. No idea what might be missing in the rules for the firewall.

Maybe it's not sinking in what you are recommending.

6. pinjoa

pinjoa Registered Member

if you defined the option "strict protection", you computer will be invisible in your network and can't share resources or access remotely from other computers.

but you can access to your NAS, mapping directly the shared folder (giving username and password) ex: net use n: \\nas\shared <pw> /user:<user>

if you can't see the computers on your local network then you must enabled the network detection feature on your windows7...

are you using ESS and Win7 firewall enabled?

7. SBMongoos

I can access the desktop from the laptop. But I cannot access the laptop via the desktop. Win 7 on both PCs are setup the same for networking. This is why I'm thinking the issue is ESS on one of the PCs.

I can access the NAS from both PCs as well. The folders I have setup are mapped as drives on both PCs. The difference being is on the laptop when I click on Network in Windows Explorer (left column at the bottom) the Laptop, Desktop and NAS are all listed under "Network". On the desktop under "Network" only "Desktop" is listed and nothing else.

Where is this "Strict Protection" in ESS or ?

If I disable the firewall in ESS on the laptop still cannot access the laptop from the desktop.

8. pinjoa

pinjoa Registered Member

9. SBMongoos

I'll give this a shot. Doesn't look like there will be much I can change.

10. SBMongoos

11. SBMongoos

LOL... helps if I get the user/pwd right when asked for it. This laptop came set up as "Owner" and my login is "WNS". So I kept using WNS thinking it would work and that something else was wrong.

Now, how to I get my NAS and my Laptop to show up under Network all the time like my Desktop does. By default that is. I can if I type in \\blah or \\192.x.x.x. each time.

12. SBMongoos

Still unclear on the first part of my two questions:

Is this something that should be allowed or not? Looks like it would allow me to share outside my local network.

http://www.yourwns.com/files/eset.jpg

When pinging the 169 IP it fails and is trying to ping my desktop which is actually another IP address.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  13. SBMongoos

**bump**

14. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

169.254.*.* is the default IP range that windows uses when it cannot get a response from a DHCP server. It's probably a NIC in your computer that can't (Or couldn't) get an ip.

15. SBMongoos

That's what I was thinking but it happens on the laptop and desktop. Some times at boot up and some times just random. Maybe ESS does this at boot before the LAN makes a connection. And sense I just hit Cancel on the message ESS just randomly asks for authorization until I say yes or no.

16. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

That is an APIPA address. They are local addresses and have noticed they are sometimes created when a device is plugged directly into the computer that uses its own network interface, such as cellular phone.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

17. SBMongoos

Makes sense. Especially if I were actually plugging something into my PC at the time but I'm not.

18. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Do any new network adapters show up under Control Panel → Network and Internet → Network Connections? when the prompt for the APIPA address appears?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

19. SBMongoos

Could be. I'll pay closer attention next time as many time I'm doing things on the fly. Should have thought of that first, eh?

To answer your question. Yes. My LAN adapter does show up. I did recently plug in a USB WiFi adapter.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  20. SBMongoos

Okay...after some time I've discovered that this randomly pops up without me connecting anything at all via USB. Not sure what's triggering it or if I should allow it or not. I've been hitting cancel. Keeps popping up though. This never used to happen with ESS. Started about two months ago.

21. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

I suspect ESS isn't the cause here. Something else is trying to get an IP address and is failing, so Windows is assigning a 169.x address. ESS reacts to this by prompting you.

22. SBMongoos

Wonder what it is trying to get an IP. What you say makes sense it just doesn't make sense what it is that's trying to do this. It happens on my desktop and my laptop. Which both are running ESS. This didn't use to happen until, maybe, a few months ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.