should NOD32 pick up trojans?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rumpleforskin, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumpleforskin

rumpleforskin Registered Member

I've just done an in depth scan and it found nothing. I then ran Trend Micro free online virus scan and it detected 2 viruses in two seperate rar archives (in the scan it said they were viruses anyway). NOD32 was setup to scan archives..both of the trojans were the same. See info below.

TROJ_INSERVICE.K

so why didn't NOD32 detect this when I did the scano_O Doesn't it detect trojans? If not, whats the best protection against them? Must be resource friendly! I did have Norton, but thats too bloated for me.

thanks

2. izi

izi Registered Member

3. claire

claire Guest

Hi Rumpelforskin,

Welcome to Wilders.

NOD32 picks up more and more trojans but if you want a specific protection
    you could try TrojanHunter

http://www.misec.net/products/

You have also other fine products like BOClean and TDS

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I would use a seperate program for trojan detection, with an AV. I find BoClean to be very resource friendly.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

You should try the NOD32 2.5 beta - It detects more types of nasties than the current version 2.0 (Not saying that NOD 2.0 is bad - its GREAT, but 2.5 is even BETTER :))

6. rumpleforskin

rumpleforskin Registered Member

alright thanks for the info :) Firecat, I am already using 2.5beta (and its great).

One other thing, I am currently using sygate firewall pro along with Trojan Hunter (trial) and Nod32. Do I need the firewall if I have nod32? I know nod32 is just an antivirus protection thing, but I was just wondering as I'm new to this stuff...doesnt bother me either way really, as Sygate is the best firewall ever, but I don't wanna be wasting resources!

thanks again

p.s. I will try trojan hunter trial until it runs out, at which point I will give Boclean a spin.

7. RayJay

RayJay Registered Member

Definitely run a firewall. NOD is an antivirus app. It can not stop someone from hacking into your system from the outside, that's a firewall's job.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Rumpleforskin, welcome to Wilders.

100% yes, you need a firewall and also that firewall ought to have Visual Outbound Alerts.

If you are concerned with resources then I'd throw a little more RAM into your machine.

In regards to security, you may want to take a look HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.