Should my BIOS be set to 'warn' or 'turn off' on Temperature or fan stop? or nothing?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by google88, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. google88

google88 Registered Member

Should my BIOS be set to 'warn' or 'turn off' on Temperature or fan stop? or nothing?

I had a look in my bios about something else and i realised that my BIOS has not been set up to warn or stop if the temperature gets too high or the fans stop.

Is this the default setting?

Should i change it so that if the fans stop on my CPU or the temperature gets too high is shuts down?

Cheers

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if you haven't changed then sounds like default. I would chose warn (in case I forget I changed the bios setting and wonder why is comp shuts down all of sudden)

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

High temps and fan rotation are two different things.

If your fan stops, the computer needs to shut down now. A warning might be too late, especially if you are not present to see it.

For temps, you could set a warning at 60°C and turn off at 70°C.

The problem with instant shutdowns is they are instant - almost like yanking the plug out of the wall, and that is never good as it can cause corruption of critical system files on the hard drive. That said, file corruptions is better than CPUs burning up, or getting so hot they damage the socket.

Are you using a HW monitoring program like CoreTemp?

4. google88

Hi

I used a program called Fan speed

but i was looking in the bios for something else and i noticed there are no warnings set up

so if my CPU fan died my computer would fry

its a real concern but i didn't know if i should set it up to switch off if the computer overheats

i leave my computer on all the time, so it's a concern that an alarm wouldn't be useful.

How should i set up this section of my BIOS?

5. Bill_Bright

"In theory", no because the CPU itself "should" shut down out of self-preservation. But theory and real world do not always jive. Also, if the CPU is carrying a small load, it may not get "over" heated. But very high temps for long periods of time will age electronics faster than normal operating conditions and can cause other materials (plastics, for example) to become brittle. The CPU socket is a good example. And when brittle, micro-fractures can develop and this can affect CPU stability.

Well, I have mine set to shut down at 70°C.

Did you mean Speedfan?

6. google88

speedfan sorry

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Cheers

I might set a few precautionary setting in the bios

I'll take a good look first though ... i might post back if I'm not sure

I'd rather the computer shuts off than blows up :)

7. Bill_Bright

That's true, but it is likely you would suffer stability issues (sudden reboots and freezes) before it blows up.

The key thing is to keep the interior free of heat trapping dust and that the case provides good front to back flow through the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.