Should I?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rico, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I've tried & used in the past: Pest Patrol too many FP's, Spysweeper ver 5 not stable, SSM reminds me of th PC/Mac commercial allow/block, PG where are you, TrendMicro, ZA, Norton like taking the brakes off, AdAware, SpyBot, TrojanHunder, AVG AS

I use IE7, spyblaster, MVPS host, IE-spyad, SeconfigXp

Currently resident: NOD32, LinkScanner Pro, Prevx1, Comodo, SuperAdBlock, RegDefend

On Demand: TrojanHunder, AVG AS, SAS Pro.

AVG/AS & TrojanHunter are coming for renewal, should Io_Oo_Oo_O?

From magazine articles I seem to be vulnerable to 'keyloggers', should I add SnoopFree to my current resident softwareo_Oo_Oo_O??

Should I enable SuperAdBlock's "enable SAS real time protection, or would the other resident items suffice.

I do not: P2P, visit XXX sites

I do rely on NOD32 scan of email & therefore feel safe to open attachements.

I do visit some weird sites, from searching for some things in general.

Does the KAV online scan plugin, active X scan protect, after the scan is complete? Would that have any benefit/value with my current AV NOD32o_O?

Special thanks to: Mrk way cool web site

Take Care
    Rico

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I was able to renew TrojanHunter at the discount price (I am a long-time user), but use it now as an on-demand scanner. I would suggest trying Comodo BoClean. It is free. I am using it and it works well with my other security software.

3. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I would not renew. But I would:

1. Get Comodo Boclean to protect me from trojans and
    2. Get Sandboxie or a similar program for when you visit oddball websites.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You don't need more security software ;)
    Enable it and see if it causes any slowdowns.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, rico, your past experiences w/ applications is very similiar to mine; I tried almost every single security app I can get a hand on it. At the end, I settled down w/ just few. Since you use AVG AS and TH for on demand, there is no strong need to renew them; you can use AVG`AS free for on demand, TH's days as a stand along AT application is numbered. You can add ComodoBoClean as realtime AT app. If you worry about keylogger, try HIPS, such as ProSecurity free,or SSM free, snoopfree is a past day's app, dev has been ceased. If these many apps would let your head spinning, you could entertain my other suggestion; to get a sandbox/virtualization app; preferable a virtualization app, such as powershadow, deepfreeze, shadowuser etc. Your current FW,AV, prevx1 etc are well placed w/ it. Good luck. BTW, I would not enable SuperADBlocker's AS real time function, it is wasting your resources and just help you a little.

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks! I forgot about one real time, RegDefend w/tony's ruleset

I've installed Comodo Boclean, matches my FW.

Take Care
    Rico

8. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I don't know if Prevx1 covers your registry or not. As it is a HIPS I would assume that it does, making regdefend duplicate coverage. But I don't know much about either application.

When V3 of the Comodo Firewall is released and stable, you might need to change things again as it is supposed ot have it's own HIPS.

9. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello Rice!

I wouldnt renew them, but it is your decision. Comodo Boclean is good addition to you set up. I would also look into what Perman and besafe sais about using a sandbox/virtualization app, like Sandboxie or Powershadow.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I see I'm mentioned here. Thanks!
    But how did I deserve the praise?

I think your setup is fairly ok... I would do a bit of trimming and polishing, but if it works for you and you're comfortable with it, then leave it.

Mrk

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Mrk,

You got the special mention, because I spent some time enjoying your web site. I liked your hillbilly physics, models, recommendations. Your site deserves a compliment.

Trimming & polishing, I'm not a good gardner any suggestions on what branches to trim, & could I borrow some polish?

Also you mention the KAV plugin, for extra protection with IE, is this a valid point when using NOD?

Take Care
    Rico

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Why not. Should not interfere. Might be useful if you wish to scan single files. Mind that the full scan takes quite some time. Either way, you get a free scan by another anti-virus, which is a bonus - if you care about the anti-virus scans and reports, that is.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.