Should i use KAV 4.5 or 5, Personal or Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, Can i firstly say sorry if this has been covered before. But i have browsed through some past posts and cant seem to see anything on this.

But i just wanted to ask the people in the know a few questions, I currently have Mcafee Virus scan Enterprise 8.0i but its the Beta version, and i am not sure about updating my Virus scanner (should i or is the beta version still ok to use), but if i do the front runner is Kaspersky.

But i was wondering if i do, which version should i go for, KAV 4.5 personal or Pro or KAV 5 Personal or pro (i know this last one isnt out yet but i am prepared to wait for it)

I have heard some mixed things about Kaspersky, but i like reading the comparison charts which rate Kaspersky very highly against other AV, but I have to say i do not like the sound of this adding file strings (or what ever they are) to every file i have on my computer, it just unnearves me with the sound of it, so which version should i go for considering this.

Also i am wondering should i go for personal or pro, as all i want is a virus checker thats very easy to use (but very effective) and one that i can just click on a couple of buttons and it will search my C drive for all viruses and stuff, and one that i dont need to worry about configuring and what not just something that when im browsing the net will just easily detect a virus and malware and just delete it or quarentine it and i dont need to worry about things like "are my settings right" or what not, just something simple but efficient. Is this what Kaspersky is, as Mcafee Enterpeise isnt the easiest to sort out iself is kaspersky easier or more difficult to use than Mcafee enterprise.

Another question that concerns me is in the requirements guide it states i should use XP SP1 or above, what will happen if i dont (As i currently only have normal XP installed), i am considering updating to XP2 (but only when outpost 2.5 comes out though as 2.1 doesnt seem to be compatable) so is Kaspersky (4.5 and 5) ok with SP2 or will i have problems using it with it.

Or should i just leave kaspersky alone and stick with my Beta version of Mcafee enterpeise (which being a beta version should i worry about that, even though its served me ok so far)

Thanks

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Anthony

Since you want something, that is easy to configure and easy in daily use, then 5.0 personal would be my choice, i doubt there will be much difference between personal and pro (in terms of detection, if any) when you consider the double pricetag. I have used 5.0 since the beta and have not had any serious problems, the only thing i find a little annoying is that accelerates fragmentation, but i just run a defrag a little more often than i normally would, it has to said that i have restore disabled. Regarding ADS i think it's a case of "much ado about nothing", i certainly haven't seen any increase in the size of my harddrive, and if it improves the speed of the realtime-monitor, then i am all for it, i will not be removing 5.0 anyway. Most of the issue's (if not all) will be addressed in the maintenance pack coming sep/oct.
    5.0 is SP2 ready, regarding Outpost 2.1 and SP2 Look here

Mcafee has just left betastage and who knows how long you wil be able to update it ? :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  3. Rommel

Rommel Registered Member

I tried searching the Kaspersky website but didn't find anything like what I wanted to read. Is there a product comparison matrix comparing the features you get in KAV Personal and KAV Pro? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.