Should I upgrade to 9.0 ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thebigdintx, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

Hello. I currently have T.I. version 8.0 (build 937), and it works fine for me. I purchased it less than 30 days ago, so I should be able to upgrade to version 9.0 at no cost (I have already e-mailed support asking about this). Should I upgrade to version 9.0 just because it's free, even if there there is nothing new in 9.0 which I am going to use? My system has Windows XP SP2, and no drive partitions (except the hidden secure zone). I only do full backups (no incrementals) for my 40GB drive, and I do them about once a week to the secure zone. I have stored a full image on cd's (it only took 3 cd's), and every few months, I am going to store a full image on cd's. I am concerned that if I don't do the upgrade, that I will miss any important new builds(updates) that will effect the program from working properly in the future.

2. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

I am in same boat as you - in fact I haven't even opened the TI 8.0 box yet. I am assuming (but I would like confirmed) that since we qualify for a free 9.0 upgrade, we can do it at anytime (not jsut in next 30 days) - say in 6 months, after the bugs get worked out of 9.0?

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

You can download it now, and just not use it if it causes problems. ;) You will still have both versions.

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Never mind, rdgrimes has said it all ;)

5. thebigdintx

Ok. I will download the new version (9.0), use it, and if it causes any problems, I will go back to using version 8.0. Let me make sure I have the procedure correct for upgrading to a newer version:

1. It's better to uninstall the old version first from what I understand ( To do this I would need to delete my secure zone first in secure zone manager, and then uninstall version 8.0.).

2. Then download the upgrade (9.0). I should be receiving a new registration key from acronis in my e-mail. When I try to download the new version, will it ask me for the new key, the old one, or both? Also, when I register the new version, I assume that I will use my new registration key there?

3. Create a new Acronis Rescue CD.

4. Create a new image in secure zone.

Are these steps correct?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Acronis have stated that it's unecessary to uninstall V8.0

However if you do uninstall the previous version then, if it's the same procedure as for the V7.0 to V8.0 upgrade, you will need to enter your old key first followed by the new key. Also, you will need to register the new version using the new key in order to access future updates.

Yes but keep a copy of the previous version until your happy that the new rescue CD is fully compatible with your hardware.

Yes but I'm assuming you have a good reason for utilising the SZ (there aren't many!!).

Regards

7. thebigdintx

I use the secure zone because I don't have an external hard drive to do regular back-ups onto. And, doing the back-ups onto cd's all the time would get expensive (I currently use CD-R disc's...I suppose I could use CD-RW discs and reuse them). However, I like the convience of being able to create a quick full system image whenever I want in about 4 minutes just by clicking on my task which I set up to do that. And, restoring from hitting the F-11 during start-up should be easier than having to use the discs. I still do a full image onto discs once and a while so I always have a separate backup. I don't have to devote much of my hard disc space to the secure zone...I currently only have 8GB of my 40GB hard drive set aside for the secure zone to use. My back-ups are only about 3.8GB right now. Well, those are my reasons for using secure zone. If I had an external USB hard drive, I would probably just use that instead of using secure zone or cd discs.

8. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Well, I bought mine a few DAYS ago from a store. Now Acronis says that the free upgrade is only if you buy it from them!

9. thebigdintx

Well, I am still waiting to hear back from Acronis Support regarding whether or not I am entiltled to a free upgrade having purchased T.I. 8.0 less than 30 days ago from Compusa (I e-mailed Acronis support), but from the posts I have read on this forum, it sounds like you had to buy T.I. directly from Acronis to get the free update to 9.0. From all the problems I read about in this forum involving this T.I. software, I was debating on updating to 9.0 even when I thought it was free......I am definately not going to upgrade if it costs anything!

10. thebigdintx

Well, I got my answer : You have to buy directly from Acronis to be eligble for the free upgrade. Bummer, I wish they told you that somewhere on their website....like the page where they refer you to other online stores would be a good place!

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi thebigdintx,

The SZ is primarily intended for users with a single hard drive such as yourself so your reasons are perfectly sound. Just keep creating an occasional full image to removable media because, as you have realised, if your hard drive fails the SZ goes with it.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.