Should I turn on what is federal information processing standards?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TheMozart, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

In Windows 7, using Wireless connection to my Router, I have an ability to select "Enable federal information processing standards (FIPS) compliance for this network".

I selected it and it reconnected, but what exactly does it do, and will it make my connection more secure or less secure?

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Billion Router.

So in other words, you don't completely understand or know what it does do or not do, and if I can turn it on or not?:blink:

I must confess, even after reading those links, I don't really understand

4. Tyrizian

I do know that government agencies use them, as well as affiliated agencies only. I have never heard of anyone using this inside the home, for personal advantage. Basing it off those factors alone, I wouldn't enable it for me...That is all I am saying.

By the way I read it, I see no reason to use it for home use.

5. Tyrizian

Alright here is an example. Let's say you work for the government, you have what you call a CAC card with all your government affiliated info on it. This CAC card is used to gain access to government buildings, machines, etc. This uses some form of FIPS for it to function.

I just called up a family member of mine, who works for the government and actually knows what FIPS is. This is one of the examples he just gave me.

I figured, I should talk to someone who knows more than I do.

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Thank you RADEON0101 :)

7. Tyrizian

No Problem :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.