Should I switch form avast Home to Aol's new freebie?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by brjoon1021, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Registered Member

... that is pretty much all I wanted to know. Your takes...

2. btman

btman Registered Member

avast is a great program. Only switch if you don't think it's doing it's job.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if AOL's active virus shield runs ok on your computer, id switch.

the original KAV 6 is light (for me) and of course detection rates are excellent.

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

agree with btman.
    avast is a full, light, free and great av, only move if you have to.

5. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I would choose AVS since it´s using the KAV engine, even if Avast! also is one of my favorite freebies! :)

Regards, C.

6. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i wouldnt AVS bogged me down Avast runs nice.. :D and has http scanner

7. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

maddawgz, I have experienced just a little bit of the opposite with Avast slowing down my PC ever so slightly while AVS hasn't seemed to. I do agree however, that the http scanner is a nice feature. AVS does scan files while surfing, but I realize it isn' the same as http. It's such a close call between them, but for me the GUI is the tie breaker. I like the AVS GUI better because once you get to know your way around in it, it becomes very simple to use. I must also say that it certainly updates more than any Antivirus I have used, even including Antivir PE. I always liked Avast though, and I'm waiting to see what version 5.0 will bring to the table. Take care.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  8. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

stick wid avast.you don't need 99.6% detection on most occassions.also AVS doesn't have all the features of KAV 6.0

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Why not just try it and see if it's something for you? If you do you should run a good regcleaner after removing it, they have a removal tool if you find it difficult to remove:http://www.avast.com./eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html + a good regcleaner.:)

10. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Also there's no proof that AOL shield will remain free after a year. I don't know why everyone is ignoring that. We will probably have to pay sooner or later, or at the least, it won't let us update anymore.

Avast is great, it will detect spyware (so will Active Virus Shield, and probably more then Avast) which is a plus. It also sort of has a firewall, in that it doesn't let known malware access the net.

11. Don Pelotas

No, thats true, but it would still have been free for a year, what exactly is so bad about that?

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Nothing is bad about that but I'm wondering who is going to pay for it then ? :cool: :shifty:

13. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I'll personally be ready for a change in a year, and by then, although Avast has been my favorite until now, the improvements with Antivir PE may well make it my next choice.

14. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Free for a year isn't enough because well, I wouldn't feel good paying for something I previously didn't have to. That's stupid.

15. Don Pelotas

Not, everything is free in this world all the time, saying that giving a year license to one of the best money can buy is stupid, is IMO silly, you can't go around and expect something that took several hundred employees to make, that this should be free all the time, it would be nice, but not realistic.

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Unless one enjoys using different products just to study them and have fun this is a good point. If I were using AVAST and liked it. I would not switch just for one year of free. All one needs is AV protection. Unless you are into switching around. ;)

17. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If you are really happy with Avast then keep it. But it is easy to uninstall and install again. So why not try the new freebie if you are curious?

Kinda funny, but I have KAV6 on one and F-Secure on another. The F-Secure is a years free trial. I wonder why I don't wonder who is going to pay for it after the year is upo_O:D

We used to say, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."
    For those of you who are not familiar with that, looking in the mouth is a way to determine age. But if it is a gift, so what if it is not in its prime.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.