Should I still use TF or Mamutu?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hugger, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I've been playing around with combinations and right now I have no noticeable slowdown using Defensewall, Antivir Premium and Prevx Edge as my always on protection.
    Do you think this is sufficient or should I go with Mamutu of Threatfire?
    If yes, which one and why?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Out of the 3 ones you got allready you only need 2 of em and certainly not add a 3d HIPS

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

id say keep the 3 your using, they shouldnt have conflicts/overlap cause they all work differently, and i dont think u need to add anything else.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i would say keep mamutu and defensewall:thumb: cause mamutu is a good alerter and defensewall is a good unknown malware blocker:thumb:

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Short answer No.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

FWIW, I ran Prevx Edge (trial version) for a while along side Threatfire (TF) and NIS 2009. Most of the time things worked, but I experienced slowdowns and boot problems. When I removed Prevx Edge (PE) my system returned to normal. That's not to imply there's something wrong with PE, but I don't think PE and TF are a good combination because they are too similar. If you have the registered version of PE (so you can use it to remove any malware it detects) I would not bother with TF or Mamutu. JMHO, YMMV :)

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You'll get lots of differing opinions and i hope you find the right combo you can be pleased and confident with.

MAMUTU for me compliments my HIPS but even if i didn't run any HIPS, Mamutu is a very immediate and so far seems a very good Behavioral Blocker, the best i ever seen in fact in this small field of products. I hope it stays that way because my HIPS + Mamutu is an extremely formidable defense.

Although DefenseWall is too strong :D for my needs, it should be perfect for you as it already is for most users of it because it bites hard too!

EASTER

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

easter did you find the link to download PG3.5?

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Like i said in another thread, next week i'll be on a different system so i'll see if i can chase it down then. I understand your anxious urgency over this version becoz it's really good & stable.

EASTER

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

TF & Mamutu are both of them behavior blockers. Their protective capabilities are approximately equal. Therefore, try them both & use whichever one *feels better* on your particular computer.

However, with your current security software plus an SPI-capable router, you don't really need TF or Mamutu or ANY more security.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

sorry easter i forgot:D

12. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

What you have now will do the trick. I am running pretty well the same setup except for Sandboxie instead of Defensewall. That could change when the new version of Defensewall with the new skinning engine finally comes out.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

EASTER, please, which is exactly PG 3.5 situation ? It is developed, continued, or it's an old version surviving ? Thanks. ;)

14. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

#Hugger, RemoveAny v2.5.21: see post #65, #75, #91 on software & services/'Your NEW BEST Free Softwares ...'

RemoveAny = I give the name of Another & FREE Mamutu!:argh:

Enjoy your meal!
    PROROOTECT

*puppy*

15. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Thank you all for your help.
    I installed Mamutu yesterday.
    This morning it incorrectly identified Firefox as malware with trojan like activity.
    I scanned twice with 2 different programs and found nothing.
    Also, Mamutu froze after alerting me.
    This is behavior that I've not had with Prevx Edge nor Threatfire.
    Mamutu gone.
    Testing Edge.
    No TF.
    Enjoy the day.
    Hugger

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey listen i was trying spyware doctor like a week ago and threatfire quarentine his own cousing spyware doctor:thumbd: both of them were out of my pc:thumbd:
    note:i wanted to give MAMUTU a try but i dont know anymoreo_O

17. firzen771

well ive never had a FP in Mamutu after using it all this time. never had any trouble tbh, whether it be compatibility, stability, i guess it might be something on your computer that is causing Mamutu to do this. and i havent heard of anyone experiencing those types of problems as far as i know.

18. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

Mamutu is a behavior blocker. So its common to see if it alerts you if there is any activity @ firefox - trojan downloader, spyware, backdoor. The thing with behavior blocker is you´ve got to know what´s legit and what´s not.

I´m sure it had got something to do with your extensions.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Don't be too put off just because that, if it happened in Mamutu you would have a choice and not like TF carrying off your program, i get explorer alerts occasionally in Mamutu on my dial-up untill it locks on to the RASAUTOU which "IS" a dialer Mamutu is alerting to. Once it's WhiteListed it quits alerting on normal programs but i always leave explorer.exe "monitored" just-in-case. It's easy to see what explorer wants to run and if i don't recognize it, i select Block no matter if it crashes or not because i rather have a authentic explorer rather then some malware that's trying to use it to do bad things.

TF is very undecided & unstable right now and not very smart at all from what i seen when trying it. It seriously still needs work.

I find Mamutu perfectly safe and even more efficient then i could have hoped for in a field that is drastically limited (Behavioral Blockers). That's why running a dependable HIPS with it is a very good combo IMHO. MAMUTU passes those type of choices directly to you and doesn't like TF carry off your good program to the hold area. TF carried my REGEDIT file to the hold area when i ran a simple script trying to add to the RUN instead of focusing on the genuine offender. Go figure

EASTER

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

trust me buddy i am very tempted to try it,i never try this one,this will be running with defensewall?do they get alone?
    how long is the trial?

21. illicit

illicit Registered Member

Runs great with Defensewall, in my experience at least. Trial is 30 days. Enjoy! :D

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

many many thanks:thumb:

23. firzen771

yep, when i used it with defensewall i didnt have any conflicts either.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for the value info:thumb:

25. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Just because I had a problem doesn't mean something is no good.
    As was said, it may well have been my machine.
    However, there are apparently a number of people who have had the same experience according to Mamutu's info.
    Maybe I'm wrong but that's a false positive in my eyes.
    I agree with Easter about TF. I don't like it. And that also doesn't mean it's no good.
    I might go back to Mamutu in a couple of months, but not right now.
    Hugger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.