Should I stick with MSE?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iravgupta, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

:p

for mom n dad....this should suffice..but thats just my opinion !

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The winlogon suggested it was a false positive, possibly a dangerous one. I'm not sure what to think of it, since it's not in a Windows folder.
    The other two appear to reside in a temporary folder, suggesting they won't pose a threat ?

Did you remove those with HitmanPro ?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Wrong, looks malicious to me, malware often have similar/same filenames as legitimate files to make people think they're legitimate... and it worked with you :p.

Also winlogon had 2 extensions - raises suspicion.

Also not detected in the correct folder (which should be c:\windows\system32), so winlogon and svchost should not be there - raises suspicion.

Temp is one of the more likely places to have malware.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If your complete question is something akin to:

"Since it looks Hitman Pro has detected malware that MSE has missed should I stick with MSE?"

I would say you should not "stick with MSE". It's clear that the detected files are malware because they have system file names and they are located in temp directories (plus the double extension on winlogon). That's pretty standard malware behavior. They are absolutely not valid system files.

5. volvic

volvic Registered Member

How do I do that?

6. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Just right-click on the Sandboxie icon in the taskbar (at the bottom), move the cursor over the name of the sandbox (DefaultBox if you have set up another one), the right click on Delete contents.

It is also possible to configure Sandboxie to delete the contents automatically by right clicking on the Sandboxie icon in the taskbar then Show Window>Sandbox>DefaultBox (or other name you have set up)> Sandbox Settings>Delete> Invocation.

I hope this helps.

I have found that with a little practice, Sandboxie is very easy to use. If you have not already done so, it would probably help to give your sandboxed browser access so that bookmarks are saved, and possibly cookies also. To check this out just go to Show Window>Sandbox>DefaultBox (or other name you have set up)> Sandbox Settings>Applications>Web Browser. If you change any of these settings, make sure to click Add then click Apply.

If you need additional just do a search on Sandboxie forum.

Good luck.

7. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Try NIS2010.

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello ravi16aug

no av can stop me if i want to get infected and no antivirus security suite program give me 100% security

so i can give you 3 advices

1 if you want to stick with mse go ahead no problem with that but please use good firewall like outpost free train it for a while then it wont give up any popus
    or get a decent router as your primary defence

or if you want to change mse you can use KIS/norton 2010 both where very good security suite

2 As your parents use and you dont want them to have pop up like trouble try to make their browser and chat clients by default to run under sandboxie so even if they get virus it keep inside sandbox so no big deal

3 please it would be very kind of you if you give your parents some time and little knowledge your safe surfing like for example about not to click on every mail that come in inbox ....etc

Old fellas are like cute excited kids who what to click on every thing and to explorer and see what happen now i learn that from my dad :D

please check these videos about sandboxie you get idea why people here love it

kis also got its sandbox which work same as sandboxie but you have to set to run browser chat clients to run under it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXDWkYaEamE

source:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/languy99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GueXMq-Vyi8

source:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mrizos

hope it help you a lot :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  9. Templar

Templar Registered Member

I had MSE on 3 comps in my household, I bought a Vipre Home Site License and Vipre detected 2-3 Trojans on every computer. I was very surprised especially since MSE has been getting such good reviews in tests.
    I had Malware bytes scan the last comp as well and it found those same trojans, both Vipre and MB rated them as very risky.

On my file server my copy and read speeds are also dramatically up with Vipre so yeah MSE is probably not bad at all but it makes you wonder how it can score so high all the time and what those tests are about really.

Simon

10. berng

berng Registered Member

Strange you had so many trojans on each computer. One would think then your computer have already been hacked to death.

I suspect they were Vipre false positives.

Did you send them to Virustotal to find out?

11. Templar

Templar Registered Member

Hi Bernq,

I believe they were all the same trojans on each computer so some browsing or DL to and from the same site must have caused it.

No I didn't send it to Vipre but I scanned the last computer with Malware Bytes which found the trojans too. I did a quick google search which did turn out a few directly relavant hits as well as double clicking on Vipre to get more info which they had so I don't believe these were false positives.

It's just one of those things, no AV is perfect and this just goes to show that even an AV that's scoring high on most tests has it's limitations and so do the tests themselves.

Simon

12. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Just after Christmas I've seen a friend's computer infected with MSE running. I don't remember the trojan's name but it was there for sure. One day after a reformat my friend "managed" to infect the computer and MSE did nothing (actually it did later that day...but it did not manage to eliminate the trojan which was there after every reboot). Finally we have made the cleaning with MBAM but we have decided to format again. I hadn't seen an infected pc for more than 7-8 years. I have to admit it nowadays I trust MSE less and use it mainly on mediacenters or combined with a-squared antimalware ( with real time protection ).

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Once bitten twice shy? Enter the world of security products.

But tests show MSE detection growing and growing. Just to add some confidence in a thread where it appears there is none.

14. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Actually my friend was bitten :D
    In any case I never trust 100% a security product and I don't believe much what others say since I don't know their behavior and habits in front of the screen. The fact is that there are various reports about MSE missed detections. Mainly infections via web. Personally I wish MSE to grow more and become better. I believe MSE is a product that has the potential to change many things about the computers security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.