Should I stay with Antivir and ProcessGuard Free?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hello. I am using ProcessGuard Free with Antivir PE to protect it of course, but to also stop the notify exe that causes nag screen to pop up during updates. I really like Antivir and want to keep it, but if I decide to remove PG Free for some reason, back will come the Nag screen. I have tolerated it in the past, but sometimes when I got on my PC there it was and although all I had to do I was hit the OK button, it still bothered me. Also the avguard goes up to around 25MB after update in my task manager, and I noticed logging off seems to take longer than usual with Antivir installed. Not complaining as this is all minor considering the effectiveness of Antivir. However, when I was using AVG Free it seemed alot more set and forget, and I didn't notice any slow down in my PC at all. I wonder if AVG Free is good enough at this point to use for a safe surfer using FireFox with Site Advisor, NoScript, and soon to be added next release of Comodo Firewall. Or should I stay with Antivir and ProcessGuard Free? I have Windows XP Firewall enabled currently. Thanks

2. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

From nine years of NAV and really like AntiVir free.

Know nothing of ProcessGuard Free but do use and like ZoneAlarm free (version 6.1.744.000) better than the Norton Personal Firewall of a year ago.

I also have the WinXP Firewall enabled and have seen no conflict.

I can tell you that if you block AvNotify with ZA that you will then see the equally annoying PopUp from AVIRA about Firewall Settings, so I keep AvNotify.exe allowed in ZA.

What works best to keep from ever seeing AvNotify would be the security setting described by Shek in
    {This Thread}
    This works with WinXP-Pro but you may need to do something in 'Safe' mode for WinXP-Home; read that thread for more details.

3. duke1959

pilotart. I was thinking of using ZA Free 6.1.744.001 with PG Free and Antivir. I realize Comodo is a very good Firewall and fairly simple to use, but I just wanted to at least give ZA free a try. How does it run on your PC? Memory, boot up, any internet, or other PC slowdown? Thanks for your reply about Antivir, I imagine you like it. Take care.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  4. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

BTW, the AVG guard has on-close scanning disabled by default. That is faster, of course.

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Antivir and PG is a good light combo, I'd suggest keeping them together. If not, there are ways to disable the notifier.

7. shek

shek Registered Member

Antivir plus pg free is a really good combo. But I think antivir + SSM free might be a better option.

8. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I agree. SSM free has more features than PG free

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Avg is good enough for the safe surfer for sure.Another option may be to purchase the premium antivir as you would get the additional ad/spyware detection ,mail scanning and...no notifier.It is one of the cheaper avs to buy.
    ellison

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Every AV software is good for a safe surfer. Your original combination is good
    enough. There is another free antitrojan, antispyware, antidialer from good
    old Andreas Haak. It doesn't have realtime protection though.

11. duke1959

Thanks folks. I have tried SSM Free but it is not yet able to run properly on a PC with more than one user yet. They assured me in their Firum of a new release that eventualy would do so, so in the mean time I chose PG Free. I'm now waiting for next release of Comodo Firewall, but was wondering how well anyone thinks ZA Free 6.1.744.001 would run with my current set up of Antivir, and PG Free, instead of just Windows Firewall? See ya's.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  12. pilotart

I have no knowledge or experience with Comodo or any of the other Firewalls, ZoneAlarm (three versions through 6.1.744.000) has been no problem or slow-down for me, I have followed instructions for 'clean' removal and install for each.

Version 6.1.744.001 has also been reported stable.

13. duke1959

Thanks pilotart. Did your post mean that your using Antivir now and like it better than NAV? If so, is it running okay with ZA Free, and can you change any of the settings in the free version of ZA? When I used Kerio, I could change "Any other application" to ask before allowing inbound or outbound internet access to Trusted and NON Trusted sites by programs other than my browser. Maybe ZA configures this automatically when you install it, I don't know. Thanks

14. pilotart

Yes, like AntiVir MUCH better than NAV.

ZoneAlarm presents no problems, it will put up a box for 'permission' when any New application calls for access, sometimes just an Updated AntiVir *.exe, you can grant permission each time, or a 'check box' to 'remember this answer' for the future calls.

ZoneAlarm also has a 'Program Control' page where you can change, add/remove permission Settings for access within system as well as to internet (trusted/internet) with Access or Server permissions.

You can set Program Control to 'Ask' or use a 'Learning mode' or 'Off' with a warning, ZA-Pro also offers a High Control (must ask every time?).

15. duke1959

Thanks pilotart. Do you think I should set it on Learning Mode for a day, or just answer the pop ups as I try all my programs? Also, are using 6.1.744.000 because of the reported problems with the new version of ZA Free 6.5.731?

16. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Perhaps somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think ZA Free V6.1.744.001 offers any superior protection than ZA Free v4.5.594. However the latter runs a lot lighter.

Obviously the V6 pro version offers more with it's OS firewall

17. pilotart

Must admit that all those reported problems discouraged me from updating, could not see any advantages either.

As q1aqza posted, likely no advantage with newer versions, but there were very few problems reported by those upgrading to V6.1.744.000/1 and it seems to run light on my system.

I just answer all the popups and have a better idea of what is happening.

For that matter, there are a lot of apps. that I make ask every time, even though I usually 'allow'. :)

18. duke1959

hey pilotart, downloaded and am using ZA Free 6.1.744.001 with no problems or slow downs yet. Thanks for your help. I did however, and don't be upset, replace Antivir with AVG Free temporarily to see if the slowness I was experiencing with logging on and off improved. I think it did, but this may be at the sacrifice of better detection. I'll most likely return to Antivir after the August AV Comparitives come out. By the way, ZA is currently only running around 12 to 14MB while using the internet, and I think this is pretty good. This reminds me to ask if you noticed that the Antivir avguard exe increases to 25MB after an update? Mine did, and would remain there for quite awhile. Take care.

19. pilotart

No cause for upset at all, glad we have such a wide choice of security software, in fact when AVIRA puts up the next build, a lot of users will wish there were less users of AntiVir.

Never noticed the RAM bump you mention, just never looked, runs light on my systems, both WinKP w/1.5GB RAM and Win98 w/72MB RAM.

20. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I read somewhere in Wilders that teh reason AntiVir uses 25MB is that the defs are all loaded into memory. I think it is something that is being addressed.

21. duke1959

Thanks to both of you. Now that you mentioned about the defs being loaded into memory q1aqza, my memory kicked in, and I remember also reading about it being fixed. I also read that the way Antivir updates will be made better as well in upcoming versions. (you know with the way the Guard disappears during updates, ect) These are just more reasons to install it, and use it again I suppose. That is of course before a major new release comes out, and the servers are tied up, right pilotart? Take care guys.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  22. pilotart

Ok, I just did an Update while watching Task Manager Processes, avgnt.exe did a momentary +>20MB jump, but returned back to <5MB within less than one second.

BTW, On 'her' system, she has EZ-Trust, which does an ideal job for her despite "Detection Rate Score" and should she want a 'free' AV, I guarantee that I would install AVG and not AntiVir for her. "Different strokes..."

23. duke1959

I just wonder now why my avguard exe stayed so high? It would reduce if I switched users and back again, but not so fast by itself. One more thing. Have you thought about trying the latest version of ZA Free 6.5.731? Some people in the Zone Labs Forums claim they aren't having any troubles. Thanks pilotart.

24. pilotart

My avguard.exe is always close to 25MB and did not change on Update, it was avgnt.exe that I observed that brief increase on Update.

Recall that previous build (143?) had avgnt above 20MB all the time, but 163 brought it back below 5.

Avguard was about 18 on my system, several builds back and others report 12 or so, might be difference in setting or other loaded program (I load a lot and run 'settings' maxed).

For ZA 6.5.x, looked like a risk for which I could see no reward, (more the bother than the risk :) ) .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.