Should I remove Shadowsurfer first?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beetlejuice, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I'm thinking about purchasing FD-ISR but at present have Shadowsurfer installed. After reading threads on the subject, it seems the most prudent thing to do (since it appears that these 2 programs don't play well together) would be to uninstall Shadowsurfer before installing FD-ISR. Would most of you agree?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would un-install ShadowSurfer first, then install FD-ISR, but I wouldn't ditch ShadowSurfer immediately.
    I would try ShadowSurfer in a test-snapshot of FD-ISR and see how they work together. :D
    Of course you have to take precautions first to do this experiment : image backup, create a test-snapshot.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is it safe to play here?

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hey, BeetleJuice, how goes it?! Yeah, with FD you will no longer need Shadowsurfer, so go ahead and uninstall, in my opinion anyway. Good luck!!

Acadia

5. ErikAlbert

I don't understand what you exactly mean.
    If you have an image backup of your system and data BEFORE you start playing, you can do and try anything. :)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So u rae not sure what will happen, that I mean tp clarify.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

If he did, why would he be referring to it as an experiment ?

8. ErikAlbert

How can I know in advance what will happen, if I never tried it before.
    I never installed ShadowSurfer in a FDISR-snapshot. For me, it would be an experiment with possible risks, but if something goes wrong, I'm safe.
    If FD-ISR doesn't save me, ATI will save me. I do this for every new software, legitimate or not.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think there was a thread in FDISR forum where somebody tried SU / SS with FDISR successfully.

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

It's here, I tried it with success: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=769212&postcount=1
    My guess is that you just disable SU and then install FD-ISR. Make sure that in SU you exclude or auto-commit c:\$ISR.

11. ErikAlbert

I remember that test very well, but you don't know my personality.
    I don't trust anyone when it comes to softwares and I always do my OWN testings.

I didn't buy FirstDefense-ISR because everybody was recommending it.
    FDISR wasn't even my first choice, RollbackRx was my first choice.
    Raxco is just lucky, because RB isn't reliable.

Acronis Forum is full of problems with ATI in every possible way. If you read that forum, you have many doubts to buy ATI.
    I didn't believe all these posts, I did my OWN tests with ATI and I never had any of these problems.

12. wilbertnl

ErikAlbert,

If you only trust information that is based on your own practical experience,
    Why is it okay for you to give suggestions/advice that is not based on your experience?

Do I recognize a double personality here? :)

13. ErikAlbert

Nobody has to listen to my suggestions/advices, I'm just telling my opinion like anybody else.
    If I tell people not to use DVD/CD's for backups of harddisks, I don't expect they will listen to me and they certainly don't, if I read all the problems with backups on DVD/CD's.
    I don't always listen to suggestions and advices of other members either. I just pick the info, that might be interesting for me.
    Do you believe or accept everything what is told at Wilders ?

14. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I can't imagine doing it any other way. It's just natural and plain old common sense.

15. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I got rid of shadowsurfer and just used a frozen snapshot. It does the same thing as far as I`m concerned.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi BJ69

Indeed you can. Matter fact you don't even need to mess with a frozen snapshot. When I want to do some protected surfing I just boot do my 2nd snapshot and do it there. When done, I just boot back to the primary and do a refresh. I do it this way as there is no one state I want to go back to all the time, so I'd have to keep the frozen snapshot updated, so I don't see a gain. Thats the beauty here. Many ways to do the same thing.

Pete

17. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi ErikAlbert,

Can I ask you why you did your own tests with ATI even though the Acronis forum is full of problems but didn't do the same with Rollback Rxo_O Also, how can you say that RB isn't reliable since you seems to never made any test with it on your systemo_O

Best regards,
    Atomas31

18. wilbertnl

ErikAlbert,

I feel like you devalue my actual experience with FD-ISR/SU, and you reason that with your missing actual experience.
    When you don't provide help with information like "I remember that thread, let me find it for you", but make statements about your personality, I feel being censored for personal reasons. What is the reason that you 'explain your personality' in this thread? How does that contribute to answering the question?

I value your input, ErikAlbert, but when you say "nobody has to listen to me" I don't belief you.
    You want to be listened to when you contribute.

I remember how you were confused with the performance differences of ATI and your external drive, because of the way you conducted your actual test, and I want to remind you that you developed a better understanding of ATI based on the contribution of forum members here.
    That information was based on developed understanding and reasoning.

It strikes me as disrespectful when you sound like "Yeah, here is a lot of information, but only personal experience matters"
    In case you do have actual experience that validates a different opinion, you are welcome to share that experience.

19. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

hi.beetlejuice.ive been using the two together for a while now with no problems at all....

20. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings BeetleJuice,

I did some testing with this product a few months back. Here is a link with the details.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=736937#post736937

An update to that thread:
    1. The open file technology driver BSOD has been eliminated with the latest version of the ISR technology that uses the Microsoft VSS driver.
    2. You have to use the ShadowUser version of the product since ShadowSurfer does not contain the capability to exclude folders/files.
    3. No need to uninstall SU first, just make sure to turn off shadowing before you install the ISR technology.

I hope this helps.

21. ErikAlbert

Atomas & Wilbertnl,
    Sorry, but I'm not going to explain myself. I have my own working methods, based on years of experience at work.
    I have too much work and no time to answer your questions, which are quite of topic and personal.
    My wife is angry with me, because I spend so much time on my computer. :(

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

LOL!! I had the same problem, the solution: I bought her her own computer; now we surf side by side! :cool:

Acadia

23. Peter2150

ROFL. One sure could come up with some interesting follow on questions.:D

24. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I have both programs installed and have not experienced any problems. I had ShadowSurfer installed first, then left shadow mode and installed FD-ISR. I have not been using SS much since installing FD-ISR but left it installed anyway.
    For what its worth, my backup technique works like this... Three snapshots, one of which is pristine, the other two I update before I install anything new. If something goes bad I can restore to the non-active backup then update the previously active one, problems gone. In a worst case scenario I have the pristine image which lets me go back to a shiny new install and start over from scratch.

25. Peter2150

Hi Bob

Welcome to Wilders and the leapfrog forums. Sounds like you are a FDISR fan already.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.