Should i install something else?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Creer, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't often get to say this, but Returnil is actually worth it.

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

ditto.
    I'll definitely buy the license when GAOTD expires :D

3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

When i have Returnil ON and smb delete for example system32 folder - when i restart this folder will be restored?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes it will be restored as nothing happened. Also changes caused by malware will be removed.
    I use a different ISR-software, but one day, I deleted MS Office Pro, Firefox and Thunderbird on purpose : one reboot and I was back in business and Returnil is faster than mine, because it's based on virtualization.
    When Returnil = ON, any change in folders, files, registry, ... will be removed during reboot.

I separated system and data :
    1. System Partition [C:] = Windows + Applications.
    2. Data Partition [D:] = documents, spreadsheets, emails, email-address-book, etc.
    That gives me complete freedom in my system partition without losing any data.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi,

I have the same separated partition as you. I still thinking about differences between Windows SteadyState and Returnil. First is free and offer automatic update programs which you can define in settings. I think it can be very usefull for me cause i using av software and it will be great when it can autoupdate unit im will using virtual mode.

Maybe someone can give me any reason, why Returnil is better than Microsoft product?

When i will have one of this software do i still need Image Backup program?

Regards,
    Peter

6. ErikAlbert

Never, ever ditch your Image Backup. You always need IB.
    Suppose a malware like killdisk destroys your system partition or your harddisk crashes. No ISR-software will help you then.
    Always have the worst scenarios in mind.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U need to trim down ur security applications. Remove all AS scanners. May be you can remove TF too.

9. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think you should get rid of Spybot and Comodo Firewall. Spybot, because SAS and MBAM are much better. Comodo Firewall, because you have Threatfire so the HIPS will duplicate.

10. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

What's the point of removing on demand AS scanners unless you just need the disk space?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i agree with aigle to trim down the set up a litle bit cause if you use sandboxie and returnil you are double cover there like two blankets.
    very secure and tight.

12. ErikAlbert

I also run a frozen system and I don't use any scanners.
    After more than 6 months living without them. I ran any scanner I could find during 2 months, they didn't detect anything except false positives like ShadowProtect, Anti-Executable, IZArc, ...
    This was predictable because I always boot in the same clean system and I only install legitimate softwares for permanent usage.
    Of course many users don't want to do this, you have to decide this on your own. Protecting your data in such a way, it can't be stolen or infected is the most important thing (locking data folders for instance). Once you solve that problem, malware can only damage your system and that is protected by your security softwares, ISR and IB.
    Security in a frozen system only has to prevent the execution of malware, not to remove malware (like scanners), because ISR removes all malware.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yep Erik, I am with you. Each person should have that one product you cant live without. Everything else, is fluff.;)

14. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi,

still i don't know - if ill have Premium ver. of Returnil, do i could update AV signatures until ill have protection ON?

Until instalation i choose option Disk Cache and set it on 1024MB
    Next step Partition i set 773MB
    (my orginal C partition has 11GB, and i have 768MB RAM) Win XP SP3.
    Maybe i should choose option Memory Cache? which would be better for me?

I'm really often using option Sleep in my computer. I have set in BIOS S3 mode - which means Suspend To RAM. When i have ON Returnil in my system and press button Sleep my session will be lost?
    I can't check this now so i inquire, maybe somebody knows this problem.

I uninstall TF as your advices.

Regards,
    Peter

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

let avira update while returnil is on. Then once every few days exit out of returnil and avira will re-update to that point. You are never unprotected. Well, maybe not by Avira.:cautious:

16. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Each to his own of course, but I myself will keep TF in addition to Returnil. I don't always have Returnil on and even when I do (which is most of the time) it is known that some malware can bypass Returnil's protection. Hopefully, TF or my AV will catch any malware that might bypass Returnil or attempt to get on my system while Returnil is not active. I prefer to keep some on demand AS scanners as well, as they take no resources (other than disk space) when not scanning.

I do not use Sandboxie, but those who run it in addition to Returnil do have that extra protection. That is unless they or someone else uses the computer and opens a browser or other internet facing app without sandboxing the session for some reason.

17. Someone

Hi

Why did you uninstall ThreatFire? It's a great app.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, someone there are so many applications are that are good but you can,t run them all. U have to choose some and drop some. I like so many products but ofcourse can,t run them all.

19. Someone

Hi

I know, but I didn't see any apps which overlapped/conflicted with ThreatFire.

Well except Comodo but wouldn't getting rid of Comodo be better?

Thanks

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

A couple of folks up above stated that the Returnil Premium license needs to be renewed every year. Does Returnil Premium stop working after one year if you do not renew the license, or are you just ineligible for new version updating? Thank you.

Acadia

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It all depends upon personal choice of a user.,

22. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi,

it was an impulse to uninstall TF - seriously, i have comodo firewall pro with enabled Defense+ so i think TF can be disabled.

I am also this interesting.

I find on this forum this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=207163 - about Returnil + AV updates, anybody knows how to setup R to proper work with Avira? Why im asking - today, when i power on form sleep mode (Susspend to RAM) i get few non-closing windows with Avira updates warnings about error update files: antivir3.vdf; aecore.dll; aeheur.dll; aescript.dll; aeset.dat; webcat.dat
    and then i must restart my computer, cause it stops to respond. Strange...

Next question: is Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Personal Edition the best software for image backups?

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Save disk space. Save a lot of time in updating them manually and then scanning ur system off n on. Lot of hassle IMO. One AV is more than enough I think.

24. ErikAlbert

What works on another computer, doesn't mean it will work on YOUR computer.
    You have to test the choosen Image Backup yourself : backup and above all restore and don't buy too quickly, use the trial period as long as possible.
    Paragon is a good one, but many others are also good as long it works on your computer. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  25. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.