Should i install something else?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Creer, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi,

i have these programs on my computer:

Antivirus:
    • Avira AntiVir Premium 8 [running]
    ___
    Anti-spyware:
    • SuperAntiSpyware (free) [on-demand]
    • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free) [ on-demand]
    • Spybot Search&Destroy (free) [on-demand]
    ___
    Anti-malware:
    • ThreatFire (free) [running]
    ___
    Firewall:
    • Comodo Firewall Professional with Defense+ (free) [running]
    ___
    Sandbox:
    • Sandboxie (free)
    ___
    WebBrowser:
    • Opera 9.5 (free) + http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

...and my question is, should i install to this configuration WinPatrol Plus?
    Maybe smth other? What is your suggestions? I want optimal security for me.

Regards,
    Peter

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi there, I can't answer the question about WinPatrolPlus as I'm not familiar with it and what it adds as far as protection to the setup you have. I will however say that the current list you have provides very very good coverage. Spybot though can probably be removed, I don't have anything personal against it of course, but most agree its usefulness died out some time ago. Both SAS and MalwareBytes will outperform on detections and cleaning by far. That part is just my opinion though :)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Minimum a reliable Image Backup software. This one will restore your system in the worst scenarios.
    Optional : a reliable Immediate System Restore (ISR) software.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

you are doing OK.
    I would even say that you could drop some apps.

Just think for a minute about you computing habits, determine the posible infection vectors and you'll be able to trim down your setup.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And in case anything DOES get past all that, the free version of Returnil will get rid of it upon rebooting because it virtualizes the entire system :)

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi,

thank you all for quick answers.
    ErikAlbert, can you recommend any Image Backup software?

PS. Should i install Windows SteadyState?

Regards,
    Peter

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

creer you only need sandboxie it will cover all of your needs plus more.
    you dont need all those antispywares and also antivirus that slow down your machine you could even get outbound protection for your apps with sandboxie.you coud add returnil for just in case some thing happen, nothing is perfect
    there is a new version of sandboxie 3.28.thats my advise.

8. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

You are running DefenseWall and ZA Security Suite and advising another user to drop his other defenses and only use Sandboxie? :doubt:

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have to change my signiture , alitle lazzy here but thats not my current set up.it is returnil sandboxie .

thats all a got,thats my new signiture and i hope i keep it alitle longer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ShadowProtect Desktop v3.2 = $79.95
    http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/

Other members might give you a cheaper or even free Image Backup Software, just keep an eye on your thread in the next days. :)

I'm not familiar with Windows SteadyState.

11. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

@jmonge

Ahh, OK, well I use Returnil too, but I still like to have an AV, AS, etc. There are times when the computer see the net without Returnil on. I feel more comfortable having additional securities anyway, especially since there are some malwares that can bypass virtualization apps.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, SandboxIE is NOT enough IMHO. We don't know what the posters' surfing habits are number one, so that information will go a long way in suggesting apps to run. I think you should always at the very LEAST have an antivirus and firewall/router in place. There is malware that can get by Sandboxie, and even if a program installed isn't real harmful malware, it can still create problems and that is where a program like Returnil or an imaging app can really do wonders.

13. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

although ShadowProtect is quite reliable,at this price,its mugging...u can go for paragon drive back up with half its price and comes with a great partitioning tool as well :)

14. MitchE323

MitchE323 Registered Member

Oh wow man, I didn't know that. Thanks. I'm just going to go ahead and uninstall SandboxIE based on that. Just out of curiosity, which malware are you speaking of? Your statement implies plural - maybe you can show just one?

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know and i agree that layer is important thats why i told him to add returnil just in case something bypass sandboxie which is rare.this sandbox is really
    strong and when you get to configure it it is even stronger.i know that from time to time software are bypass by malware thats why we need a second layer but my point is this:try to avoid all those mediocre security softwares that may confilicts each other acting even worse than any bad malware.
    i give my personal experience ,once and i mean i try to like comodo firewall
    and i always have problems with it,then i decided to get windows xp firewall
    which is kind of enough for my inbound protection then set up my internet explorer sandbox and only it to conect to the internet that way defeting keyloggersplus other restricktions.now antivirus only catch what they know
    by signuture where you have a sandbox can delete all kind of malware with
    a click of a mouse with out long scaning.to be honest i dont trust scaners.
    with sandboxing and virtualization you get more secure with out all haztle.
    note:adding a router firewall will help too.

16. practicalguy

practicalguy Registered Member

Maybe something like PasswordSafe not only to encrypt the storage but in order to copy paste your passwords and userids so keyloggers can't swipe them.

Although with your line-up don't know how a keylogger would get on your system. :)

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I better clear up what I said before I get accused of being untruthful. Recently it was bypassed by some malware (I THINK CleanMBR, cs.exe possibly, and something else, maybe KillDisk?) that was able to get around it and a few other programs, BUT, they may have been patched to get rid of those vulnerabilities already, I am not sure. There are a lot of new and even more malicious malware and viruses popping up lately, and they are getting to the point where they are able to bypass all of these otherwise great security solutions.

That isn't a reason to get rid of SandboxIE though, bypassing security software is just plain going to happen. Nothing is impenetrable, it just takes nothing more than time for the bad guys to get around protection. SandBoxIE is a VERY good program and WILL protect you from a lot, just don't expect it to be a magic force field that nothing can break. That goes for all security apps though :)

18. MitchE323

MitchE323 Registered Member

Oh ok, fair enough. Just for the record though, those cases did not bypass anything in the SandboxIE program. Tzuk has developed a piece of software and he makes decisions on what the sandbox will stop, and what it will not stop. SandboxIE is interactive with your system. Those avenues had never been used by malware previously, so there was no reason to block those avenues. It was easy enough to fix just by moving "the line in the sand" a little bit over. :)

19. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi,

ok, so i decided to add to my software Returnil Personal (should i install version Premium?), quite nice soft, thanks for clues.
    How often and when do you using this software, sometimes i need to safe smth on my disk but when i will using Returnil i understand that nothing will be save. Only i observe that i can save on second partition "D" it's right?

When i surf in Internet should i using Returnil or only Sandboxie? or both?
    I'm using my Windows XP on limited user account for daily work.

Oh, and i read some articles about image backup software. I find Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 Personal Edition is it better than ShadowProtect Desktop v3.2? Or maybe i should interested in Acronis products? I want spend my money best i can do.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i use both at same time for extra confort and peace of mine.
    the personal edition is free.and with returnil you could create a virtual partion where you can save you documents while protection is on with out loosing after reboot.
    the virtual partion default name is partion z or you can name it.i use the x letter.

21. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Same here I use both.
    Mainly SBIE for malware protection, and returnil for that AND protecting against any damage I might do during one of those long nights without sleep, or if somebody else uses my pc.
    Also it's useful to test things that don't need a reboot.

The main difference between free and premium is that with premium you can save changes to the real hard disk.
    A good approach would be stay with returnil protection on, and once a week, turn protection off and update everithing (shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes).
    If you have you data in a different partition than your system, you can do without returnil's virtul partition.

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, you can still save data with the free version, just point your downloads and such to the virtual partition Returnil installs. I use both SandboxIE and Returnil also. Returnil is probably the best investment I've made so far, unless it's just a major catastrophe, one reboot and it's as if nothing ever happened.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is returnil premium licence lifetime?

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, it's 1 year.

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

1 year is alot.after i will register again.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.