Should I Install PREVX To Compliment What I Currently am Using?????

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rob123, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob123

Rob123 Registered Member

I'm a bit of a newbie security-wise, so............

I'm currently running:

NOD32 (though I may switch to Avira)
    Comodo Firewall
    Webroot Spysweeper (I like the shields better than the detection)

I haven't been infected so far, at least not to my knowledge.

Would adding Prevx along with these be a good idea, or is it more designed to replace one of these?

And do any protect against Rootkits?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nod32 protects against rootkits. and if you switch the antivir so does that.
    i feel the shields of spysweeper are really heavy on rescourses.
    so i would use prevx1 as a replacement of spysweeper since prevx has better blocking protection and is lighter.
    since you paid for spysweeper you could still use it for on demand.
    lodore

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I agree with lodore, Prevx would make a good replacement for spysweeper.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  4. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

Antivir Personal Premium(not the suite), Comodo Pro, Prevx2(it's stable), Spyware Blaster, SAS free on demand, AVG 7.5 AS free on demand and limited user rights.
    They work together beautifully and virtually no slowdown.
    Good luck.
    Doc

5. Rob123

Rob123 Registered Member

Thanks guys......

Since my SpySweeper subscription expires in 5 days, me thinks I'll switch to Prevx2 about now. I'll try out Antivir free version, and if I like it, I'll buy the Premium.

6. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

Based on the latest tests, Avira appears to be the best AV out there (security and speed).

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Beware of alleged update problems with the free version of Antivir.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Have heard about them too. Not having such issues here tho.At least not yet. Very nice AV.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although Prevx has a good following here, I am unsure why. The October 2007 test by IBK showed that it was the poorest of all tested as far as detection was concerned. It missed 5 samples, and the only other that missed any was Cyberhawk which missed one. None of the others missed a single sample. KIS PDM detected all.

So the question is, "Why does one want to addd another security application when it has not proven to be even average in the only test I have seen?
    Sure they added the missed samples after the fact, but it was not all that hot. It is better to detect them than to add them after they were missed.

So if I wanted to add something, it would not be Prevx.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. The Hammer

You could trial Counterspy v2.1 for 15 days.

11. The Hammer

Because it's seen as a product on the rise. One that's only going to get better. At least I think that's why.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Hammer,
    I suspect you are correct. Whether the faith in it is well founded remains to be seen. And also is it good enough to add to a system when one has a good suite such as KIS?

Regards,
    Jerry

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Prevx is also easy to use.

As for pairing KIS with Prevx, its not necessary. The PDM would provide good behavior blocking.

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Prevx's detection mechanism is primarily based upon its vast community data base compiled with users' inputs, although it may contain some capability of behavior blocking. In other words, if the samples used by TEST have not been seen by users, then its data base would not detect them. But, things may change now after Prevx2 is released today. The new version will detect more by using more sophisicated methods, and time will tell.IMO, Prevx2 may not be a MUST HAVE app, but I would regard its presence as a BIG PLUS ASSET.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Since both NOD 32 and Avira were mentioned, I am not sure if they have something similar to the PDM of KAV/KIS. I would assume that good heuristics, which both have, would also detect the samples.
    So it might be doubtful as the whether PREVX would actually add protection. I wonder if anyone here had an experience where the AV missed something that PREVX caught?

Nothing against PREVX per se, but wondering if it is a "nice to have" that never catches anything that another application would not or has not.

Best,
    Jerry

16. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

@ OP:

you should not install Prevx, waste of time, resource and money if you paid for it, speaking from my personal experience, I had similar softwares.

17. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Rob123...I wouldn't make any changes for now as your firewall is getting ready to change. Comodo FW V3 is just around the corner. It is going to have HIPS functionality. With that additional firepower, you should be pretty well covered.

18. Rob123

Rob123 Registered Member

Well since I like the Comodo Pro firewall, I definitely will install the new version once it's released.

I've installed AntiVir and it seems to be pretty good, and light on my resources.

As for Privx2, maybe it's working good, maybe not. I mainly fancied adding HIPS capability, or actually any "HIPS-type" capabilty to what I had, as opposed to just running a firewall, bloated spyware program, and AV.

Not necessarily Prevx, but any good one. I simply have read good stuff about that one here.

Something that replaces SpySweeper is nice too; I love the program and it's shields, but does chew my resources a bit. I don't necessarily want to be running 55 separate pieces of security software alongside each other either :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.