Should I install Acronis TI Server on the C: partition?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by beac, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beac

beac Registered Member

Should I install Acronis TI Server on the C: partition?

My server is set up as follows:
    Two separate disk arrays in RAID 1. The first array under RAID 1 has two partitions, c: which houses the OS and system files, and partition d: houses database files. The second disk array under RAID 1 houses a single partition containing database backups and will contain the c: partition backup image. I just want to see if it matters whether or not I install the Acronis TI Server application on the C: partition or on the E: partition. My main concern in getting the server back up and running after a crash is to get the C: partition going with all of the original settings for the OS, FTP, Websites, etc… The database files on partition d: due to the size (about 40 GB), I don’t really want that captured in an image and will restore those from the backups that are sent to drive e:. If I understand correctly, I should be able to restore the C: partition without disrupting the D: partition…Correct?

Also, another question I have gathered from reading several other posts and some of the external links within those posts with regards to Dynamic drives is that there is a problem when restoring an image. Well, per my understanding and from viewing the drives via “Computer Manager”, the drives are set up as “Basic” and not dynamic. So in this case, I should not have a problem should I need to restore an image regarding destroying a dynamic link as it is not dynamic. Correct?

If anyone can through out any advice either in favor or against my thinking above, I’d greatly appreciated it.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello beac,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Backup Software.

It doesn't matter on what partition Acronis True Image is installed. Acronis exclusive technology allows you to back up drives with operating system and applications running. When you restore the image of a disk with the system partition you will need to boot from Acronis Bootable CD so again the installation folder of Acronis True Image Server doesn't play any role.

Since all your disks are set as Basic there will no problems at all after the restoration. However, even if you had Dynamic disks they just would be restored as Basic. But Windows allows you to convert them to Dynamic without data loss, so it is not the problem either.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. beac

beac Registered Member

Thanks Ilya for your reply.

Marc

4. 2marshall8

2marshall8 Registered Member

Here's my situation. I have a SCSI Hardware RAID controller which looks like one disc to windows and it is divided up into two partitions. One is the system (C: ) and one is the DATA drive (D: ). I have converted it into a dynamic disk and am planning on backing up the system drive (C:\ ) with a full backup on Sunday and differential backups Monday-Friday. If I goto restore this in the recovery CD will I be able to just restore the system drive (C: ) image, leaving intact the DATA drive (d: ) and then convert the disk to dynamic when I've entered Windows? What should I do in my situation and will this work?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 2marshall8,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows and Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows support Windows LDM (also called Dynamic Disks). However, as dynamic disks are organized differently than basic, physical disk drives, their backup has some peculiar features. You can create an image of a volume of any type and later restore the imaged volume back to dynamic or basic disk. There is one restriction, however. If you want to restore a system volume (the volume where operating system files reside), then the archive must not reside on a dynamic volume. Non-system volume images can be restored from anywhere.

If Acronis True Image runs in rescue mode (for example, booted from Bootable Rescue media), dynamic disks will be not accessible. Therefore, to be able to repair a system partition, you must keep its image on a basic, network, or removable disk. Additional information can be found in Chapter 3.7 "Using dynamic disks and volumes" of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows User Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.