should i delete the guest account?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i found this tool that will delete the guest account for me on my computer. i have never used it and if a friend needs to use this computer which is very unlikely to happen i can let them use my account, as long as i'm watching over them. the only time that has happened in the past was when my sister's husband needed internet access to use web-based email. i wouldn't mind letting him use my account for that again as long as he is careful with attachments.

so can you see any reason why i shouldn't erase the guest account? thanks
    http://ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/delguest/
    this is the page it was linked from, there are some more things there i haven't looked at yet.
    http://ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Why not just disable guest account?

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can close the guest account through xp user accounts

Attached Files:

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have it disabled already. do any of you rename the guest account to admin account and give it very reduced rights so if you are hacked the hacker will work on the guest account thinking it is the main admin account?

anyway, i will never use the guest account and i would like to delete it. but, what i would like to do is use something like regshot and see what it does in the registry to delete it, that way if i want to replace it again in the future i can

EDIT i think i will also use my un/installer software, which is like Total Uninstall so it can be replaced again that way.

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

You better just disable it, so logon is impossible. There might just be a process that needs it (sometimes a printer needs sort of a guest account access).
    Renaming is not the answer. The visible name is just that, the real identified is the security id (sid). That's a fixed number for the system accounts. A real hacker would check the sid of the name before attempting to crack it.

6. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks :) i have decided to just keep it disabled, thanks for the help :)

7. n00b

n00b Guest

Can I ask if anyone out there has used DelGuest successfully to remove the guest account? I really want to get rid of the Guest Account annoyance and I don't feel that disabling the account is enough. Any opinions (or advice) at all welcome.

8. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Perhaps Delguest does more, but the following may be of interest for those that just want to turn the 'Guest Acct.' off:-

"Even if you select "Turn Off The Guest Account" it will only be turned off in terms of its ability to log on directly to Windows. In the background, the account will still be functional because Windows XP Home uses the Guest account to authenticate users connecting remotely to shared resources on that machine. It is virtually impossible to truly disable the Guest account and doing so would cause a number of problems on a Windows XP Home computer."

http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/windowsxp/a/aa042204_2.htm

9. n00b

n00b Guest

eyes-open,

Thanks for the link. Can't understand why this hasn't been made more obvious in XP. I'd still like to hear from anyone who has successfully (or unsuccessfully!) deleted the Guest Account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.