Should change Avira9

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by century, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. century

century Registered Member

I am running Avira9 free version in my computer - WindowsXP SP2, 1GB RAM, Athlon3000 1.8GHz processor, Windows firewall.
    Is it neccessary to change over to Avira10 or Avast5 free edition?
    Any advice is welcome.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would upgrade to Avira 10.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Same here, with no problems :thumb:

No it's not neccessary, it's up to you. I havn't moved to v.10 yet as i was waiting for the teething issues with it to subside, before even thinking of moving. Things "may" be ok with it now, but i've no plans to change just yet. Also v.9 has been extended until next year ;)

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Things are ok with it now. At least on my Win 7 64 bit.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Out of curiosity, was there an official announcement about V9 being extended or was it something granted to whoever asked for it (I haven't read anything in their forum)?

The only problems perhaps still persisting with V10 are related to ProActiv which hasn't yet been implemented with the free version.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ProActiv should not go in the free version. Avira needs to learn from Avasts mistake.

7. The Hammer

What mistake was that? I don't follow Avast very closely at the moment..

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The Avast BB doesn't do much anyway, so I am not sure it was much of a mistake including it in the free version. Maybe I misunderstand your comment.

Personally, I would not use a free (or paid) AV without some kind of behavior blocker these days.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the BB and Sandbox should have been left out of the free version and the script shield added. Both have BBs that currently arent great, but that will change and be a add on that should be paid for.

10. The Hammer

Well if the BB is the mistake I'm sure we'll see improvement in that area from Avast.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

a good BB in a AV product is a big plus.

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I agree they will improve their BB in time. It will be a matter of survival, unless they focus more on the sandbox route.

I disagree with TRJAM that it was a mistake including it in the free version. I think any AV without a BB, or other advanced 0-day protection like HIPs, sandbox, etc. is very dangerous to use, and maybe even shouldn't be offered. It just gives newbies a false sense of security.

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yes official :thumb: I wrote a thread about it here - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276297&highlight=avira - and now there's at least one other happy bunny ;)

It's there, see the link in my above thread :)

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Just to know, how many had problem in v.10 free with ProActiv ?

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think my post was not so clear in terms of meaning: Avira10 free comes without ProActiv, Avira10 Premium and the suite, both have ProActive which in the beginning gave a lot of problems related to other modules (slow performance, long start up times, disabling the active guard).

These problems have been addressed successfully, ProActiv doesn't disrupt anything anymore, but remains quite idle despite its name.

16. century

century Registered Member

Thanks to all for opinions & advices.
    I found the license is upto 1st Sept. 2011, extended automatically, & it is running fine so far.
    BTW, is version10 better than version9 & in which way? Does it run lighter? Does it give better protection?
    I hope it is not a comparison between different AV suites & can be discussed without breaking rules.

17. CorbinDallas

CorbinDallas Registered Member

IMHO I found version 10 ran heavier on my system than 9 does. Boot times where slightly slower and when you run a scan it uses extra microsoft services, 2x dllhost.exe, vssvc.exe, msdtc.exe, that are apparently used to access locked files through shadow copies of those files. Does add a lot of processes in memory (even after a scan).

If you have a fairly fast system with plenty of RAM I doubt you'd notice but my system was fairly old hence my opinion only. I'm sure if you're unlucky enough get an infection then the repair function must be a plus point, otherwise I could not say if one was actually better than the other, but I do prefer version 9.

cheers

18. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi century,

Have a look here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.