Should a Firewall allow you to check other things on your computer when it gives you

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by HandsOff, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

a block or permit decision.

I think that it should, for sure, but Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall does not seem to allow that. It pops its warning on top of your windows and you cannot check anything on your computer until you answer the question because it does not return the control of the computer to you.

I would call it a bug, but is this done with other firewalls too? If people here agree I will bounce it of Sunbelt and see what they say. Thanks.

-HandsOff.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

with LnS, the alerts stay on top but u can still click on items and check stuff.

3. HandsOff

Re: Should a Firewall allow you to check other things on your computer when it gives

Does that mean you cannot minimize it? I would be able to deal with that, but not this.

I can imagine all kinds of scenarios where someone could take advantage of something like this. If someone (bad) had a way to generate many many alarms then that would screw you pretty thoughly.

...Maybe you could switch back to the simple mode (i did not try) otherwise you may as well just pull the plug on the computer...or am I exaggerating the consequences? Not knowing exactly how SPFW is blocking access I was thinking that maybe all of the individual warnings could start consuming your resources until none are left, maybe? and until they are all answered theres not a thing you could do...maybe. I just don't know.

-HandsOff

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Re: Should a Firewall allow you to check other things on your computer when it gives

Although I'm not familiar with Kerio, you might try moving the alert off the screen except for the very top (so that you can drag it back).

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yea u cant minimize the alerts. with my windowblind theme, i can do this:
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1627/looknstop5gj.jpg
    but thats it.

6. HandsOff

Notok-

I guess I did not word it right. The minor aspect of the problem is that it is on top. The major part of the problem is that I cannot access the other programs until it wrings and answer out of me. (after re-reading, I'm still not sure I made it plain enough. If I click on any other thing on the task bar nothing will happen. Not until after I answer the Permit/Deny dialog!)

Understand, that far from being a computer expert, there is a pretty significant percentage of times that I am not sure whether to allow the activity or not. What I want is to be able to do just a little looking around to try and find out what the the thing is, and who is using what port, what's running in task manager. Often I am still just guessing, but at least it is not a completely blind choice.

Where I draw the line is denying everything, and then checking. Now that's something that can have unintended consequences, plus it seems more like work, than just looking something over briefly. And, like I said, the darker side of this is that I have no control. What do I do if the questions keep coming? What if I got messages from my AV? would I even be able to read them? Clearly this seems like a bad behavior for a firewall, or any program really. But, again, I am no firewall master. There could actually be a good reason to do it that way. On the other hand my old firewall did not do this, and neither does yours. This is making it seem pretty unlikely that this is a really good (or even intended, maybe) feature. I think at this point I will probably voice my concerns to Sunbelt..., still I wouldn't mind hearing from other people if their firewalls behave this way, or if they think I am jumping at shadows.

-HandsOff

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If you would try Outpost Pro, it has Block Most Mode, which does not allow firewall asking anything, so everything will be blocked except allowed. When an user wants to create rules for a new program, he can switch to Rules Wizard Mode or if some software is not working, the user can check logs for blocked connections. I can not imagine using different mode. :)

8. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am using Kerio 4.2.2 with Win 2k. When Kerio pops up the window stays on top, but I can move it to one side and access any other program, such as explorer or control panel etc. Maybe it is something in your settings that is preventing you doing the same.

I am currently running the free version.

9. HandsOff

Thanks for the responses, especially djg05 since it indicates that there is a conflict in my set up. I am now thinking it could be related to a Microsoft Update / Nvidia Driver / vercslid.exe security update. Unfortunately, it looks like a convoluted mess to me, involving at least five updates, some of which replace other updates. For example:

********************************************************************************************
    EDITED TO ADD THIS MESSAGE

This is turning into a pretty specific problem, but for the record:
    -I guess I was right, it is not normal or acceptable behavior
    -If you do have this problem see MS06-015, and go from there.
    -the EFFECTED VULNERABILITY IS CRITTICLE, [the effected vulnerability: Windows Shell Vulnerability - CVE-2006-0012]
    (if you cannot get this fixed MY INTERPRETATION is that you need to shut down the "Webclient" service IMMEDIATELY!!! this doesn't have any bad effects on my computer, I'm still on the web, as you can see)

the symtom we get with the firewall is because of certain HP software and NVidia drivers and others not listed. Most people aren't effected

See:
    -http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-015.mspx
    -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

I'm going to delete the rest, since you will be better off going to the source and following the instructions
    ********************************************************************************************

-HandsOff

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.