Shields Up or Down?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Rico, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

ShieldsUp is very wordy about Network, complicated also;

When I looked at my network, I found"

Un-ticked "File & Printer Sharing for Micorsoft Network"

I then Un-Ticked "Client for Microsoft Networks"

Re-sart the browser, visit ShieldsUp & it identified me as:

pool-71-109-2.......net

Do I have more to do? Am I still vulnerable to the evils Steve Gibson wrote about?

Thanks
    rico

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I've now gone to the WINS tab & unticked "LM Hosts" & chose "Disable NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

Should I or do I need to install MS Loopback, which shields up talks about?

This is a stand alone PC, I don't think I need "NET BEUI" for file sharing, as I don't for see, using file or printer sharing.

Thanks
    rico

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

what are u trying to do?

pool-71-109-2.......net

the first part identifies your Internet connection, the middle part is your IP, and teh last part is probably a domain name related to your ISP.

if you have a dynamic IP, well then, the number will change but the other parts may not.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't see the problem. When I do a scan with ShieldsUp, depending on which connection I test, it's usually a generic name containing ISP name and IP. No problem with that.
    Mrk

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Messrs Fuser, Mrk

One of the threads here was talking about ShieldsUp & networking etc. I looked at networking there & found what was posted above. Mr Gibson is very verbose, & attemps to scare/shock. So I thought it would be nice if it could not see my IP address + reduce the vulnerabilities, Mr Gibson writes about.

Mr Gibson says all the connections are bound together, & for safe computing they should be un-bound. & certain ports closed, & that TCP/IP needs something to bind to, when un-bound. The new binding partner for TCP/IP would be the (user) newly created "MS Loopback." I probably have gotten some of this wrong, cause I don' understand it. But you can see it at ShieldsUp perhaps #2 or 3, Network Bondage, & What You Can Do.

I'm using a DSL connection & from my notes many years ago, I had from the WINS tab, NetBios over TCP/IP turned "off", but later I was told this is not necessary when using a router. So now I'm somewhat confused.

Also if you should install "MS Loopback" for TCP/IP's new binding partner, do you keep, Netbios over TCP/IP "OFF?"

Thanks & Take Care
    rico

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You need NetBIOS if you're sharing your internet connection.
    Furthermore, most decent ISPs block this port.
    Lastly, if you have a normal firewall, you should not be worried.
    Don't let the hype / hysteria get the better of you. Relax. Enjoy the world.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.