SHELLEXECUTEHOOK.DLL at startup

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Cel, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cel

Cel Registered Member

XP Pro SP2 Startup Programs AVG Free, Zone Alarm Free, Winpatrol, Taskcatcher, BoClean, B9 and Spybot Teatimer.

I am currently using the Free Version of Ewido. I had started with the trial version 8/04/06
    The following Shellexecutehook.dll keeps running at startup. I disabled C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe in the services.

I have Winpatrol that indicates this setting is a default condition for Windows to operate normally and WP for my protection will not remove it.

How do I safely delete this dll? Will removing it once I learn how effect the running of my operating system. Will I still be able to use Ewido as an on call scanner.

Anti-Malware Development a.s.
    Version: 4, 0, 0, 172
    Copyright © 2005 Anti-Malware Development a.s.
    Startup Location: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\EWIDO ANTI-SPYWARE 4.0\SHELLEXECUTEHOOK.DLL

Date Created 6/16/2006 10:38 AM
    Last Saved 6/16/06 10:38
    File Size 73,728

Ewido installed as trial version 8/04/06

2. karl.ewido

karl.ewido former ewido team

This dll file should not be removed because it is used for the Windows Explorer Context-menu scan entry. If you do not want to have this 'Scan with ewido' entry in the Explorer context-menu, you have to edit the Windows Registry.

3. Cel

Cel Registered Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I do want to have the context menu. Someone in another forum that I posted in first before I found this official forum tried to tell me it was a keylogger. Glad to find out it is something good that I want. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.