Shaw Security Suite- Please help

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BornMember, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

Hi all

I downloaded and installed Shaw Security Suite (re-branded F-Secure 2005 & Adaware Pro re-branded) from the thread below (thank you SDS909)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=70679&highlight=secure shaw

It has slowed down my PC significantly (my spec. P4 2.8Gig with 1Gig ram (2x512) running XP Pro SP2))

1. Any suggestions on how I can speed up my PC?
    Maybe by disabling some features or someone suggested disable F-Secure real time and use another AV like Avast free?

2. I also have SPYWARE BLASTER, SPYWAREGUARD & WINPATROL running can I disable these with AdAware Pro running?

3. Can anyone suggest how I can test my RAM to eliminate that as the cause o_O

Any other suggestions are welcome

Thank You

2. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Though F-secure is a robust product, on some systems it works like a complete Bloatware.
    What is the total number of processes and resource consumtion?
    Can you list the processes?

3. BornMember

Sorry abhi_mittal I am not on my PC at the moment but I will list processes etc in a few hours when i get on, I promise.

But what I remeber from yesterday, if it helps, is that my CPU uasge was 100% and there were more than 4 processes for F-secure running (from tasklist).

Thanks

4. abhi_mittal

Please also let me know the memory consumption by the processes.

5. BornMember

Here you go

This shot was taken just after startup before I came online. If you require any other information I can provide it straightaway.

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. BornMember

& this is how it looks when I have Ad monitor enabled.

Attached Files:

7. abhi_mittal

As I see it, it seems there are around 10 processes associated with F-secure. They are using their usual memory. Seems like nothing wrong here.
    You may choose to disable the firewall, antispyware protection, anti-spam etc. to reduce the number of processes.
    But, given that you have a 1gb RAM, the entire suite should not ideally give you a problem.
    Try to disable some of the things that I mentioned and see if things work out.
    If they dont, you may have to choose a different product. ;)

Do let me know how things shape up on your side so that we can figure out the best thing for you.

Regards,
    Abhishek

8. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Any product that installs that many processes on my PC i'd boycott for life. Thats inexecusable.

9. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I must agree with SDS . And , Born . I have run F-Secure without the firewall and adware blocking and it STILL slowed me wayyyyyy down . I use one gig of ram as well . Some programs just react differently on different computers .

10. abhi_mittal

Born, if this is the problem, you have to shift to a different product which runs fine on your PC.

11. BornMember

Thanks Guyz really appreciate it!

Have noticed that my computer was not as slow when I started it today. After installation and update of the Suite yesterday it really slowed my PC down all night. Have taken your advice and disabled certain features like parental control, Spam control & dial up control. I need a the firewall so I still have it enabled.

BUT

Guess what? when I ran SPYBOT, it detected LSP.ShopAtHome and Shop at Home. Have fix LSP.ShopAtHome but cannot seem to fix ShopAtHome. Did not check exactly what they are just wanted to get rid of them. Has anyone else come across the same problem.

The latest Spybot scan does not show either LSP.Shop... nor ShopAthome. Do you think it will come back when I update?

I will stick with it and see how it goes. I will update you guyz in this thread.

and again THANK YOU very much;

HollywoodPC
    SD909

and especially ABHISHEK

I really appreciate it!

Born

12. abhi_mittal

Every program has its own pluses and minuses. Some fix this and some fix that. Thus, you need to maintain a bunch of antivirus, antitrojan and antispyware programs to keep your system up and running.
    I havent encountered ShopatHome...but here's a link about it with removal instructions...
    http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_SAHAgent.html

My recommendations for you...you may choose any number:
    Antivirus:
    Avast Home/Pro
    Bitdefender Free (ondemand backup scanner)
    Bitdefender Standard 8
    Antivir PE Free (no email scanner)

Antitrojan:
    a2 free
    ewido free
    TDS

Antispyware:
    Spybot
    Adaware
    Spyware doctor
    Spyware Blaster
    MS Antispyware (Beta)

Firewall:
    Zonealarm free
    Kerio

Try a combination that provides maximum security with system stability. Remember to have only 1 Resident AV, Antispyware program.

For any clarifications, do get in touch.

Take Care
    Abhishek

13. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I don't even think all of that is necessary..

I run Firefox (which eliminates MOST spyware/adware intrusion methods). If I have to load IE, I use Sandboxie. I run Dr.Web w/Adware+Spyware definitions (about 4,000 I believe now). I use a backend security product like Safe'n'Sec that stops almost every intrusion method that I can throw at it. (Plus SNS's backup AV scanner, which is BitDefender :cool:

I've not had a single piece of spyware/adware, or a trojan/virus make it on my box in years. Of course, I also inject a healthy dose of common sense into things. But i've had things get past Dr.Web, only to fail miserably at the hands of SNS.

14. abhi_mittal

Indeed Firefox is a Wonder Browser. Very safe & secure.
    I agree.

15. BornMember

Well I have used Spybot to fix LSP.ShopAtHome and now Spybot scan does not detect ShopAtHome anymore so I think it is removed. Do I still need to follow the removal intructions from the link above (spyany.com)?

I don't really want to install any more programs thats why I went for ShawSecure, however I will have a look at SafeNSec.

I do use Firefox as my web browser. These are all the anti-spyware and security programs I currently have;

[MOVE]Spybot, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, Winpatrol, AdAware (personal) & ShawSecure Suite[/MOVE]

My PC is not running too badly but not like its old self though.

16. abhi_mittal

I think you are clean. Your antispyware arsenal is good. Moreover Spybot is not detecting it now...while it was doing so earlier.

Abhishek

17. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Lol, I'm sorry but people go paranoid here :S

Shaw Security in realtime is enough, just update your SpyBlaster regular, and scan at least once a week with Adaware and Spybot, and you run clean...

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have no malware/spyware on your computer, you have tried to tweak the options/settings and the slow down is still apparent, my advice would be to ditch Shaw Security.

There must be some sort of conflict between this program and the other software/hardware on your particular system.

Although this program is apparently free and the F-secure AV is top notch, you need to have a good balance between system performance and protection. A 99.9% detection rate is still no good if your machine acts as if it is covered in molasses!!!!

There are plenty of other good AV's out there to trial which will not affect the performance of your computer.

Good Luck.

19. abhi_mittal

Completely Agree with you. Indeed, if system slowdown persists, it would be prudent to go for another AV program.

20. noone

noone Guest

F-Secure uses three different engines to provide an extra degree of protection,
    but that probably causes some extra lag too.
    If it's possible, try disabling all but the Kaspersky engine and see if that helps.

21. The Hudd

The Hudd Guest

I had an interesting experience with Shaw Secure. Thought I'd give it a try. Downloaded the install program, downloaded several megs of updates, went through the installation process and got a successful install message.

When I rebooted I found no icon in my systray, and almost no F-Secure processes loaded in the task manager. If I clicked on open Shaw Secure main from my start menu, nothing happened. I also discovered I had no internet connection.

Shaw Secure support is unavailable, which I suppose is to be suspected when they are giving away the product. When they asked for the province of my residence and account number I figured out I wasn't going to get to far.

I am a very satisfied user of F-Secure Internet Security 2004. Sure it has a number of processes running but very little impact on the speed of my system. At any event, I concluded that Shaw Secure was not for me.

Mike

22. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Shaw is nothing more than rebranded F-Secure, the programs are indentical, just a different bitmap in the internet.

I think F-Secure blows, so I wasn't impressed with Shaw. Not a surprise..

23. webster

webster Registered Member

Spybot flags LSP.ShopAtHome, and i am quite shure it´s a false positive. When you let Spybot fix the problem, it removes winsflt.dll, related to this content filter/parental control http://www.puresight.com/ apparently used by F-Secure.

LSP-Fix flags the dll for removal too, and HijackThis shows this:

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'winsflt.dll' missing

I am not shure about this, but it might have to do with the dialup control.

Since it is a part of the application, it should not be removed.

24. tkc

tkc Guest

Not sure if you've resolved the problem since this thread is quite old, but I disabled the real-time ad-monitor and my laptop seems to be idle more often and has better perceived performance. :)

25. BornMember

"Since it is a part of the application, it should not be removed." (webster)

Too late webster I have already removed it.

tkc same here after disabling some features it's now running quite smoothly.

Born

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.