Sharing NTFS-mounts over LAN

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by RMOP, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMOP

RMOP Registered Member

I'm trying out Paragon NTFS for OS X on Lion. It mounts NTFS drives on my triple boot Windows/OS X/Linux system fine. When booted to Windows 7, my NTFS drives are shared with other users over my LAN. When booted to Lion, those drives mount as expected locally, and can be SEEN but NOT accessed from Windows 7 machines connected to the Lion machine over my LAN. Is this a limitation of Paragon NTFS, or a configuration problem on my machine(s)?

If the former, would I encounter similar problems trying to share HPF+ drives over the LAN using Paragon HPF+ and booting to Windows?

Thanks.

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

The NTFS for Mac driver has nothing to do with network attached drives. The software recognizes locally attached drives only*** If you are having issues with network shares I would recommend checking permissions on your system, but that is not a Paragon issue.

3. RMOP

RMOP Registered Member

Thanks. Agreed, it's not a Paragon issue. It's an Apple issue.

A more fulsome and helpful explanation of the matter is provided on the Tuxera website's FAQ:

"Mac OS X 10.7 note: Mac OS X Lion includes a new SMB/CIFS server called smbx. Unfortunately this closed-source replacement for Samba doesn’t allow any other volumes than HFS+ volumes to be shared. It returns an error when you attempt to access any shares that are on NTFS, FAT32, exFAT volumes. Currently we don’t know any solution to this issue, so please contact Apple if you are affected by this bug."

The issue seems to be that Lion doesn't allow non-HFS+ drives to be shared over the LAN, even if third-party drivers such as Paragon and others do a fine job of mounting them locally. It's not a permissions issue, AFAIK, but a basic OS architecture decision made w/o regard for interoperability, or made to prevent it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.