Shared repository for trusted files (like Norton Insight)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Defcon, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

IMO if all the security vendors could agree on a standard way to identify and manage trusted files, like Norton Insight does in 2009 Symantec products, it would be a big win for everybody.

Having multiple vendors collaborate would significantly increase its robustness, make it less vulnerable to malicious spoofing, increase the data set by a huge margin, and of course let everyone get the benefits of decreased scan times. It would be open and available to the community, just like the various spyware databases which depend on user feedback.

I think its one of the best ideas in their new products. Having said that, I am sure Symantec has a patent on the technology and all this is just wishful thinking :)

2. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Wonder why nobody thought about bringing this to the consumer market first.

That said, Symantec needed a way to leverage 65 million Norton Community users.

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

If we are talking about sort of whitelisting of known good files, isn't that what Bit9 is for?

And if I'm not mistaken Kaspersky (at least) uses their data in the 2009 series of products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.