ShadowSurfer and symlinks...

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by cthorpe, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

So I'm currently playing around with an idea of how to make Shadow Surfer more usable, since it does not allow you to save anything from the shadow sessions from protected drives. My idea is to create symlinks to an unprotected drive for those folders that you want to be able to be retained. For example, I have a symlink from the updfiles directory in NOD32 to a directory containing all the updates on my D drive. That way, when I do boot back into normal mode, my AV will still have all the recent updates. Likewise, I have a symlink from my firefox profile to a folder on the D drive so that bookmarks and the like will be retained.

I am using systernals junction program to create the symlinks. My concern, however, is that I don't know how reliable symlinks really are. Am I risking breaking something using this setup?

Thanks,

CT

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One solution would be to use ShadowUser. It is designed to do what you want.

3. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

Yes, but ShadowUser is not free, and ShadowSurfer is right now. I've spent quite a bit over the past couple of weeks on programs for my home pc and laptop, so I'm looking to hold off on another purchase right now.

Ct

4. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I believe what you are doing should be OK.

Deep Freeze is similar to ShadowUser and the people who make it have a free program called Faronics Mapping tool (to use with Deep Freeze but it works on it own) which does what you want (i.e. allowing stuff that shouldn't be changed to be changed by linking/mapping it to an unfrozen/unprotected drive).

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Also isn't there some registy settings associated with having NOD32 updates stick through a reboot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.