ShadowProtect vs. ATI

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ErikAlbert, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Arg. Operation was a success, but patient died. Has anyone ever seen a BSOD when booting from a Windows CD. Thats what I am seeing. Says Plug and Play detected and error most lilkely caused by a faulty driver. Hmm.

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

and al the dudes who pushed you to do these things,feel sorry for you !

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That was the purpose of the test.
    Trying something to restore that is very possible in practice : one harddisk with 3 partitions : C, D and E.
    Some users separate their data files from system files and create on their only harddisk at least TWO partitions :
    1. System partition [C:] = Windows + Applications (+ FDISR)
    2. Data partition [D:] = personal files, emails, ...
    The restoration of both partitions failed with ATI and SP, which means high time for Paragon users to test this also, if they have the courage. :)

4. Peter2150

He didn't push me into anything I didn't want to do. I think this is another case off a badly screwed up partition table that windows just flat can't handle. If windows bsod's then nothing will help. IFD restores but to no avail, because it doesn't restore mbr or track0 stuff, so it restores, but doesn't work.

I am off to download Western Digitals zeroing utility(Erik don't you dare laugh).

These are learning and confidence building experiences.

5. Peter2150

Actually Erik what failed was either Acronis Disk Director, but most likely the way I used it. Never got a chance to put ATI or SP to the test.

6. ErikAlbert

Peter,
    My zero tool is only for my type of harddisks (WD Raptors), it's not a general zero tool.
    Why didn't you try DiskPart ?

7. ErikAlbert

You got that right. It's better to know this IN ADVANCE, than having this problem, when you really need it.

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Sooner or later, you have to 'bite the bullet' and do a thorough eval on the PC on which the disk-image program is intended to be used. Unless your Test PC and Primary PC are identically configured (OS, motherboard and ALL components), a disk-imaging program could very well work on one's 'testbed' but not on the primary PC!

9. pvsurfer

As with most laptops mine has but 1 HDD, so when I bought it a year ago I partitioned it into C:, D: and E: to separate my OS & Programs (C) from my Data & Docs (D) and Music & Photos (E). Since then I have successfully used ATI to image and restore all 3 partitions (Entire Disk) on a few occaissions... I can't understand Pete's difficulty in accomplishing the same thing with ATI, but it would be very interesting to discover why!

At this time, I only have a single partition HDD on my test system (with PHDM 8.5 installed), but over this weekend I will use PHDM to create 2 additional partitions on that drive and see if PHDM can successfully image and restore them.

10. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I sure did when my pc kicked the bucket 2 months ago.

11. ErikAlbert

Peter didn't even get to ATI or SP for restoration, he had another problem.
    So we still don't know if SP can handle such situation.
    Peter was also planning to try ATI, but ATI wasn't included in my request, but I don't mind about that, because ATI must also prove itself.
    According you ATI can handle such a situation and that's what I expected.

The test with multiple partitions should be done in two separate tests :
    1. First with restoration of the whole harddisk.
    2. Then with restoration of each partition separately.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  12. Peter2150

This is almost(not quite) getting comical. Can't use DiskPart, because the Windows CD bsod's before it gets that far. Downloaded the appropriate zeroing tool from WD, but it can't see the drives because of the nvidia drivers.

And you are so right. One clear lesson. I was able to clear up a problem with the Partition editor in the IT edition SP. But never again will I go near the one in Acronis Disk Director. Ouch.

Good to find all this out with time to kill.

13. Peter2150

Actually I can almost know the results now. With ATI I bet I could have selected the whole disk for restore, and then all partitions would be restored.

With SP they get done individually, although I bet a job can be setup that does them all, like the imaging.

If I am right, then note to grnxmn with a feature request.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

15. ErikAlbert

16. Peter2150

17. Peter2150

I got the partitions deleted, and no more BSOD's. Only issue left now before restore is secondary drive has changed from D to C. Hmm.

18. pvsurfer

Oops, somehow I misunderstood that... But I can assure you that ATI does the job 100% (that is with the version of ATI on my laptop)!

I will try both methods as you suggest, but won't get to it until tomorrow (at the very earliest) as I first have to first backup my test system's single partition, create the additional partitions and then populate them.

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

If you can get a hold of the Hiren's Boot CD 8.9 i use Active KillDisk to Zero all my Hard Drives with it. Theres an option to write randoms too which i use before writing zeros. Works.

20. Peter2150

Phew. Well back to normal.

1st. Acronis Disk Director Partition Editor can be deadly

2nd. BootitNG was the real hero. I was able to delete the screwed up partitions, and the restored my SP image

3rd. Although the drive letters got messed up a bit in the recovery environment, all was fine once I booted into windows.

Easter, I might check out that disk. Only problem is will it see my drives without the drivers.

The real scary part about all this, is that when I was messing with the killdisk trojan it messed up the partition table, but I was able to boot to the windows CD and use Diskpart. This time it was so bad, even the Windows CD bsod'd. Man if grnxmn hadn't clued me in to the use of MS routines to access the partition table, and how they couldn't handle corrupt tables, i wouldn't have had a clue as to what was even going on.

Although this was a 8 hour exercise, I at least learned how to handle what could be a disaster if it happened without my knowledge, at a time when repair was critical.

Thanks to all who made suggestions. We all learned something.

Pete

21. Peter2150

Couldn't find where to either download or buy. I wouldn't buy without trying as if it isn't a windows environment, odds are it wouldn't work for me. Nvidia drivers again.

22. ErikAlbert

The main reason why you should test the restoration of each partition separately, is this :
    A user usually creates two partitions, because his data partition requires a daily backup, while his system partition only requires a backup when it has been changed, but that doesn't happen every day.
    This means also that he doesn't have to restore both partitions, if only his system partition needs to be restored and that saves backup/restore time.
    You were smart, because you created a third partition to store graphical files, which also increase the backup/restore time significantly.
    I didn't need a third partition because I'm not interested in graphical files.

Of course it also depends on how big the volumes of each partition are.

23. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

On my 200 Gb Maxtor i have it sectioned into 3 partitions. The system partition C:\ (80Gb w/ 49.9% UsedSpace/Data), with MBR backs up and restores great with Paragon Drive BackUp Pro. I tested this yesterday, all day long. Also another partition of lesser amount done very well also. But i have one partition that throws up an error in Paragon every single attempt just barely into it at (2.31Gb) to a 32.7Gb image. I'm still looking into this matter and have questioned support for an answer or solution. At least my MAIN system goes off without a hitch.

Now the coop de gras will be to IMAGE the entire drive partitions and all and restore, several times. I am always greatly suspicious if just a single glitch or error rears it's ugly head and throws me into a complete panic. :eek:

24. Peter2150

What could possibly go wrong.:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

25. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well Pete, for me anyway, pc matters of critical importance such as imaging are improving much more than i been accustomed to in the past. In reality, enough time is passed where imaging programs have been able to overcome plenty of obstacles in XP. Now they have a whole 'nother hurdle to cross in Vista.

Speaking but briefly on Vista slightly OT, I already collected plenty of freelance developers latest creations, and not just those mediocre at best Vista Transformation Packs, but COMPLETE Vista features, graphical one's specifically, that been ported over very nicely to XP whereby my XP Pro has all the trappings as a Vista so far as looks without adding too many additional programs. The only enhancement lacking is the Flip 3-D. TopDesk doesn't do it for me, so i'm waiting to see what other alternatives surface. The Vista appearances and sounds are pretty cool though. I finally don't have to look at that silly flag anymore in IE but a cool spinning wheel. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.