ShadowProtect vs. ATI

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ErikAlbert, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm trialing the full evaluation of ShadowProtect at this moment.
    It might be faster than ATI, but not as comfortable as ATI.

After zeroing my 2 harddisks, I tried to restore my system and data image, the same way as I did with ATI, but I couldn't restore any image, unless I created a partition for both harddisks.
    It took me awhile to figure that out, because I wasn't used to this.
    I don't have to do this with ATI, ATI only asks the source and destination and starts to recover. I wonder how much a total newbie would like this.
    Of course all the partition letters were wrong or gone, but I'm used to this because ATI has the same problem.
    The backup is a LITTLE more convenient and faster than ATI, but the restore is something else.
    All images were restored PROPERLY and even the partition letters were CORRECT. I wonder how SP got these partition letters right. :D The problem is that I didn't really see that my system image was written to [C:] and my data image was written to [D:] or I missed it.

Also the loading time of the Recovery CD lasts much longer than ATI and has too many waiting screens and
    they are confusing : scrolling bars, waiting messages, blank frozen colored screens without any processing info, ... until I finally got a real menu, which was a big relief.

So not everything is glamor and glitter about ShadowProtect. :)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello Erik,
    at least the shadow protect desktop cd boots.
    the normal TI one never did for me.
    are you using a bartpe cd for ATI?
    the shadow protect desktop recovery cd for version 3 is ment to be faster 2.5minutes instead of 5minutes.
    I felt alot more comtable using shadow protect desktop when using the trial.
    i never realy ever trusted ATI after about the second corropt image.
    if you use the normal linux based cd for ATI thats why the drive letters are wrong.
    the shaodow protect desktop recovery cd is based on winpe so it uses the correct windows drive letters.
    lodore

3. ErikAlbert

You probably never restored images on zero-ed harddisks otherwise you wouldn't talk like that. If you restore an image over an already installed harddisk, you don't have to create partitions.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i never trusted acronis to make a succussful image.
    if you cant trust it to make a sucessfull image your hardly gonna restore it.
    i have restored about 50 images with paragon with my old pc and it works flawlessly everytime.
    i have created around 10images with the shadow protect destkop trial and they restored perfectly as well.
    i might delete the c: partistion upstairs.
    create the partistion and restore the image.
    just to se if you need to tell it to create a partition.
    also ill do the same with shadow protect desktop.
    lodore

5. ErikAlbert

I'm not defending any software, I'm just telling my experiences with ShadowProtect compared with ATI and for the record, I never had problems with ATI.
    ALL softwares have fortunate and unfortunate users and what is common for all softwares isn't worth to talk about.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Eric, how fast is SP compared to ATI on ur system.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i do agree with that.
    there is one thing i didnt like about shadow protect desktop is that to restore a system partition you have to use the recovery cd.
    with ATI and paragon you can tell them to restore an image then it asks for a reboot then does the restore in a pre boot blue screen mode.
    lodore

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Eric, sorry as ur post is very ambiguous to me. I did not get anything.
    Can u explain it a bit please?
    Are not u contradicting urself here?
    What does it mean?
    I think they should have two CDs like paragon. If linux CD works on someone,s PC it will be fatser and he can use that.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

An OT @ ladore

U have not told us about WinPE recovery CD of paragon? It was long ago that u promised to tel us about that. OT closed!!

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Lodore The drive letter issue isn't because of the Linux disk. Using the same disk one of my computers reverses the c and d drives and the other doesn't.

Erik. The reason it ShadowProtect knows which drive is which is it is stored in the image.

I noticed myself for the first time, when I imaged a new IBM laptop, with the hidden partition, that when I selected both for imaging, SP actually created separate images for the c: drive and for the service partiton. I just restored c: first and then the service. In way this is more flexible since the service partition really doesn't change, I can just image and restore the c:

For what you want in software you may well just want to stick with the ATI version you have. There is something to be said for the IF it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Pete

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Acc to grnmx this feature is very easy to implement and initially it was supposed to be in version 3 but later he told it to be included at some later time( if added). They have their own corporate preferences. It was a show stopper for me. I hate to use recovery CD.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi aigle,
    I concider recovery cd's only to be used if windows wont boot.
    then you plug in the external harddrive,boot from recovery cd and restore image.
    lodore

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Again there is a degree of flexibility. I don't use another program to zero the drives, but when you delete the volume you do have to create the partition. Here again you have a choice. You can create an exact partition from the image, or create an extended one.

This might admittedly be somewhat confusing to a newbie home user, but remember SP Desktop came from the IT edition, and the primary target is IT people. Since these folks are mainly interested in server backup, Storagecrafts emphasis was on reliable hot imaging, in which they have succeeded. It may not be quite as user friendly as ATI. I don't know. I just know it's fast and reliable.

Pete

Let me also add a PS. I've used ATI, and actually it never failed. But I don't know as I'd do some of the stuff I've done, if all I had is an ATI image. Is that valid. I don't know, but it's the way I feel.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Me too!

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

After all why one should bother to zero his HD before restore?

16. ErikAlbert

aigle,
    When you zero your harddisks you don't have anything anymore on your harddisk, because everything is replaced by zeroes. So no partitions anymore and that is a problem for ShadowProtect to restore images, not for ATI.
    That's why you have to create each partition back in SP BEFORE you can restore the image, if you don't do this you CANNOT restore your image(s).

Because each partition is gone, there are no partition letters anymore, no [C:], no [D:], just "disk 0" and "disk 1".
    That's why I wonder, where SP got these partition letters, because they were restored correctly.
    I have A (diskette-drive), C (system), D (data), E (backup) and F (CD/DVD-drive) on my computer. :)

17. ErikAlbert

The killdisk virus or any other destructive malware will kill your harddisk.
    Didn't you read Peter's experience with killdisk ? He couldn't restore either.
    Now you are going to say "That will never happen to me." :)

18. ErikAlbert

You can whitewash anything with a reasonable explanation.
    The bottom line is that SP can't restore images if the partition isn't there or damaged, while this is not a problem for ATI.
    I've done this several times and ATI restored without creating partitions.
    I'm not defending ATI, I'm just telling my experience.

What you are telling is that there are two kinds of Image Backups :
    1. one for professionals and
    2. one for housewives.
    I thought Image Backup was for everybody, obvious not. :)

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Of course it got it from images.

BTW then what u mean by this in ur first post:

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Or after using PowerShadow version 8 I think. It writes to sector 15 that remians there!!
    KillDisk is still on my disk but tied with invisible chains.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree that SP must do this. It,s not good IMO.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Bump!

23. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Peter from your posts I can only assume "some of the stuff you have done".

I hope you will trust me when I say that my machines fail to boot on a regular basis following something I have tried. I make Acronis images daily and restore
    daily - sometimes numerous times.

Fortunately the day I loaded Acronis 6 - made an image - restored that image -
    I had not yet discovered this site and had no idea how dangerous my first system restore might have been. Since then it has been the only image I have relied upon. I now have FD-ISR on one machine but I still have an ATI image just in case I need to go back to a "clean" system before I installed FD-ISR.

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi aigle,
    i emailed paragon about two days ago about it and said the linux based cd doesnt see my maxtor one touch III usb 100gb drive.
    so they said it can be avoided by making a custom winpe or bartpe cd.
    they gave me a bartpe plugin.
    i couldnt get it to work since it had 44 missing file errors because i used a oem windows xp cd.
    i have replyed back saying it cant create a successfull bartpe cd.
    i will see if i can use option number 2 and ask them to create me a successfull winpe cd.
    i will pm you with any updates on that.
    OT off.
    lodore

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Same to me. ATI version 6 never failed, it was free. BTW paragon,s recent free offer worked well also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.