ShadowProtect Update (v3.5.1)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by prius04, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

ShadowProtect version 3.5.1

Fix for a rare bug, primarily, but not necessarily limited to Vista, Windows 7 and Server 2008/R2 was resolved. This bug could result in incrementals which do not include all changes to the file system meta-data since the last backup. Affected incremental images, when mounted, will contain chkdsk errors. This issue affects incremental backups only and not full images. It is recommended that all users apply the 3.5.1 patch, reboot their system and start a new backup image set beginning with a new full image.

http://www.storagecraft.com/software_update.php

2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

The ISO needs to be redownloaded too?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

There is no new ISO yet to download.

After installing the 3.51 update it seems that I can no longer activate SPD. I sent a support request but I don't know if this an issue with 3.51 or just a glitch with my system.

4. prius04

It *must* be an issue with 3.5.1 because I'm experiencing the same anomaly. The s/w will not accept any of my serial numbers. Instead, it simply informs me that "there are no activations remaining for this serial number...".

I hope this gets fixed or else it appears as if I'll be calling support on Monday. :rolleyes:

5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Any idea if a restore would work if run from the ISO file? Or possibly restoring from an FDISR archive might get things working again...not sure how their activation works.

6. prius04

I'm not at all certain. I suspect, though, that I could restore one of my images and it would work fine (i.e. no activation issues). Problem is I'd wind up with the last build (3.5.0) rather than the latest.

At this point, I'm sure the activation issue is the direct result of some glitch in the new build. You experienced it on your machine and I have the same issue after installing it on *two* separate machines. Gotta be some problem with this build and their activation servers, or the like. Hopefully, they'll rectify this on Monday.

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I just did a quick backup and restore of a small partition after booting with the ISO file and it worked fine, no activation issues as you said. We'll just have to get it sorted out on Monday.

8. prius04

Yep, Monday. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not going to be forced to jump through all sorts of hoops on this one. I have no idea why the s/w is indicating I have "no activations remaining" when I only activated the s/w **once** (immediately after I first purchased the licenses).

I will say this, however: If I have to spend an inordinate amount of time getting this resolved, I'm going to seriously consider buying another product. I am of the opinion that, after paying top dollar for licenses, we shouldn't have to be thoroughly inconvenienced when developers' activation schemes implode.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I had the same no activations remaining issue with the previous version, and I was able to sort it easily enough by e-mailing support.

10. prius04

Yep, done! ;) Again, however, it's a shame doing so is necessary in the first place, IMHO. Anyway, lesson learned: don't upgrade on a weekend (or late Friday) and SC should probably think twice about releasing new versions on weekends as well.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I agree. I don't really like the licensing guidelines Storagecraft imposes on its customers, especially for a product that costs $80 US, although I have no problems with the cost, because it's a great product, but that should be it - a lifetime license with no activation restrictions.

12. prius04

Absolutely - couldn't agree more! No activation hassles......not at these prices.

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't and will never use the incremental function of SP, so I'm not going to update. I should also add that I find it more and more of a pain to download the ISO whenever there is an update, create a new recovery CD and eventually new backups.

Obviously the update is not mandatory.

14. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I too tried to update : the activation wouldn't work, because I need the german language version, which is still in 3.5.0. Too bad !

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Great concept, never happen. Unfortunately, the real world of piracy etc, drives activation issues.

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

One thing isn't clear to me. Major Upgrades (v.3->v.4) are not free (unless you have that yearly subscription thing). Minor updates like this one are free right (till major v.4)?

17. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I'm thinking about buying SPD right now, and I wonder when they will release 4.xx version, I asked about this on SP forum - without any answer from development team :doubt:

18. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

According to SP, if you do not have a yearly subscription, you are not entitled an update.

See here

Under "Sales & Ordering" see, "What is '1 Year Maintenance', and should I purchase it?" and "What does 'upgrade pricing' cover?"

This should answer your questions.

19. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

So without the year subscription this minor update because of the incrementals is not free?
    Sorry i dont understand this.

20. Raza0007

Yes, this is what it says. You can only get updates if you have an active maintenance subscription. If you do not then you can purchase the update separately.

Let me quote below

21. prius04

....And THAT appears to have changed since I first purchased the s/w. I'm going to quote part of a post by Nate from the SC forum:

We typically provide all minor version upgrades free-of-cost to existing customers. In other words, if you paid for version 3.0, and 3.1 becomes available...then existing 3.0 customers will receive 3.1 for no cost. However, when major new features are added to the product the product receives a major version increment (such as 4.0) and in this case an existing 3.x customer would not automatically receive 4.0 for free. However, at the time that you purchase ShadowProtect you can pay some additional amount...to receive "Maintenance"...

22. Raza0007

When I tried SP v3.3 about 3-4 months ago, they had the same policy that I quoted previously. In fact, this was the reason I did not go for SP as it was too expensive for me.

I am currently trialing the 30 day free evaluation of v3.5 and had 14 days still left. I installed this update v3.5.1 and it reset the clock back to 30. So, I have restored to an earlier image and will probably install this update when my 30 days for v3.5 run out and get another 30 days for free.

Also, I have tested it in Vmware. Versions 3.3, 3.5 and 3.5.1 do not carry on each others licenses. So, if I install 3.3 over 3.5.1, I will get another 30 days free evaluation period.

23. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

The good thing is that v.3.5 works good for me. No bugs here.

24. Raza0007

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. The bug probably is only applicable to windows 7 or only if you try to mount your incrementals. I have done 3-4 restores with v3.5 on Vista and the image set had chained incrementals and had no problems. But I never mounted my incrementals, so maybe the bug only prevents you from mounting.

25. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I make incremental Backups/Restores in Win7 without problems. And im not afraid :)
    But since i have a new big hdd i also have a Full Backup made with Image for Windows, just in case ;).
    Both take around 10-11 minutes (each) to backup so its not a big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.