ShadowProtect (Trial/Evaluation) what's the difference?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Genady Prishnikov, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

I have read a lot of good things about ShadowProtect so I went to the StorageCraft website and see that they have a link for a "trial" and then an application form (!) for a "full evaluation." Does anyone here know the difference? I don't understand companies that want to make things as difficult as possible to evaluate and then purchase their program. I bought ShadowUser once upon a time and the experience of just purchasing the product was a nightmare. Anyway, I digress. What's the difference between a "thirty day free trial" and a "full evaluation" that requires I fill out an application form. Anyone?

2. chew

chew Registered Member

Perhaps you should also have a look at Power Shadow. It is still free and there is a long thread about it on this forum so check it out. Search the words "Power Shadow".

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Free trial, no restore feature.
    Full evaluation- restore feature works as well( as they use MS recovery environment and they have to pay to MS so u ned to fill a form for full evaluation, but it is worth the effort I think).

4. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

If you d/l the trial and decide to purchase you would have to uninstall the trial and reinstall the purchased copy. If I remember correctly you cannot do a restore.

You can request a copy of the*full evaluation where it fully functional and if you purchase you don't have to reinstall, just put in your key.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What on earth does Power Shadow have to do with Shadow Protecto_O?
    Chew do you know what Shadow Protect is. It is a disk imaging program.

6. Peter2150

Aigle hit the nail on the head. Storagecraft has to pay a royalty for every copy of a winpe setup they give out whether a sale or not. Thats why they can't just make it available for download.

Is it worth it? In my opinion yes. I have done some testing and in the process literally destroyed my disks. SP has never failed to restore them. I have probably done at least 200 restore's on my two systems. Not extra disks, but the system's disks themselves. Honestly I do restores of my system with about the same concern as I would have opening a word doc.

Pete

7. chew

chew Registered Member

D'oh! Sorry, was a bit excited about the Power Shadow and thought it was Shadow Surfer etc until I double checked ... arrghh h... Shadow this and shadow that ...

8. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

I see, Pete. It all makes sense now. I think I will apply. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. I use my old trusty Pre-Symantec Powerquest Drive Image 2002 (in my opinion, the best ever made) and have used IFW, which does an adequate job, but ShadowProtect looks interesting indeed.

Thanks!

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

LOL. I have done the same mistake somewhere here. It is indeed confusing with all the shadows :D

10. Peter2150

"Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men? The SHADOW knows"

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Good One Pete, I was going to type that. If you know that, well were dating ourselves. Excuse me while I get my cane, so I can have my Geritol.

Regarding ShadowProtect - Still waiting for the NEW & improved ver3. Then TI will go to my bit shredder, 1's & 0's go in & halves, eights come out.

Take Care
    Rico

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would also recommend ShadowProtect, rather than Acronis True Image, although I use ATI myself.
    I have the impression, that ShadowProtect has a support, that listens to its CUSTOMERS to improve it. I can't say the same about Acronis.
    But I have no good reason to ditch ATI, so I keep it.

13. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

The Trial version of ShadowProtect is the fully-functional installed portion of the product. It will expire in 30 days (after which you won't be able to take additional backups within your normal Windows environment, however you can still mount backup images, and I believe you may also be able to restore backup images as well). However, you can activate an installed Trial version using a purchased product key, which converts it into the full commercial version. There is no need to uninstall the Trial version in order to activate it.

The "Full Evaluation" of ShadowProtect is basically an .ISO file for the bootable CD recovery environment (which you download and burn to CD). This recovery environment CD is based on Microsoft's Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) which is basically Windows bootable from a CD. The idea here is that generally speaking you get the same device coverage (for storage and network hardware support) from WinPE as you do from regular Windows itself. This means that for most cases a WinPE environment will be able to see your hardware and be useful for restore purposes. Any time a WinPE distro is handed out, a royalty has to be paid to Microsoft, and this is why StorageCraft can't simply make this .ISO file available for general download. It's an unfortunate, but necessary, inconvenience. Sorry. :(

While you are evaluating various backup products, make sure that, before you purchase one of them, you check its recovery environment to make sure that you can see your drives/partitions/volumes within the recovery environment. If not, then you may have trouble restoring your system.

14. sukarof

That is quite generous. My 30 days of evaluation is ending any day now. Knowing that I can restore the images I have done during the evaluation period even after the 30 days is great. I didnt think that would happen. :thumb:
    That gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling, and whenever that happens that company can expect a new customer :)
    I have now done at least 10 image backups (including incremental) and no issues what so ever, so the reliability I am looking for sure seems to be there.

15. Peter2150

The reliablity sure is there. In some of the testing I've done, I've used, and totally abused my machines, especially with someof the hardware independent restore testing. And these are the machines I use in my business. I do this fearlessly, as Shadow Protect has never once failed to restore the disks back to their proper configuration. Doing image restores has become... well ho hum.

Pete

16. ErikAlbert

I hope you tested the restoration as well, because that is the most important one and the most exciting one too.

17. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

I thought I'd verify this for you all. After the trial expires, you won't be able to start any new backup or restore jobs using the installed ShadowProtect product. The installed product will let you mount any image, even after the trial expires, to restore individual files. Also, you can boot the recovery environment CD and restore images after the trial has expired.

18. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Pete: Would ShadowProtect live happily with Image for DOS? I'm a big IFD fan but the idea of blazingly fast interim snapshots is certainly appealing.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

when you buy shadow protect desktop is it a download or a shipped cd?
    or do you get an option for both?
    if you can get a cd is it bootable?
    or do you create a bootable cd in the program for the bare system recovery?
    i will probably test out shadow protect desktop for myself soon but not on my main pc.
    i just want to buy a cheap pc for myself and then install fresh windows xp on it and then test shadow protect desktop by creating the image then restoring it
    lodore

20. sukarof

Yes of course, I have done the restore 10 times too :) If it would have failed or given me any kind of grief even once, I would not trust it. As I said earlier in some thread, Image for Windows has set the standard in reliability for me.
    ShadowProtect has proven (for me) to reach that standard plus it has more options than IFW/IFD that I am looking for.

21. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

When you buy it, you are given a private custom link to download the .ISO for the retail recovery environment. Burn this ISO file to a CD and the CD is the bootable recovery environment. A tool like CDBurnerXP is good for burning an .ISO file to a CD. You can pay something like $10-15USD extra if you want the media to be sent to you. I'd just burn your own disc and save some money. :)

A note on the bootable CD recovery environment. You can actually take backups as well as restore when you have booted to this bootable recovery CD. That way if you really don't want to install anything, you can still backup and restore. Also, some people prefer to only backup from another environment, to ensure that the backup captures their volume(s) in a perfectly quiet state.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the information.
    on this pc i make the images in windows but i know that other programs can interfere that way.
    so when i build myself a pc i will make the images outside windows.
    on average how long does it take to create a simple 1gb image?
    or 1gb of an image
    lodore

23. ErikAlbert

You are a smart man. :)

24. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

That depends a lot on the speed of your source/destination disks. You'll probably spend more time booting the CD than you will backing up the volume. I'd guess it'll take about a minute or so to do the backup.

25. Peter2150

It sure would, but why bother with IFD. SP is so so much faster, and also gives you control of what you restore in terms of the mbr and track 0. In the area IFD is archaic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.