shadowprotect ,may i do a recovery usb ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mantra, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i have shadowprotect v3.3.0.16
    the iso has hash 4A4C2AADA0C7B98116C30F61C84E84E2

i did a search with google but did not find an easy way to make a usb recovery to boot via usb

does somebody know how to convert this iso to a bootable usb?

outside shadowprotect the only alternative is for me acronis because the last version has an indipendent hardware recovery and can build a resque cd/usb

shame there is not more the acronis forum here

thanks
    have a great day

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes thanks

but here there is a user with a crab like avatar ,that wrote a great tutorial

maybe he could help me with shadowprotect

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Actually, I asked this same question on another thread yesterday, as I prefer bootable USB flash drives over CD/DVDs. Currently this facility is not provided by STC. Since I like challenges, so I spent all last night trying to make the SP ISO boot from a USB and in the end I figured it out, though using a 3rd party tool, in just 3 easy steps. I successfully booted the STC provided ISO from a USB flash drive.

The only thing is, I do not know whether I am violating any software license laws here, so I am reluctant to outline the procedure. I am sure STC will have nothing against converting their bootable CD to a bootable USB, for after all they allow people the option to use a bootable media, changing the media should not be a problem??

Lets see what Mark from STC has to say about it.

5. DeathScreen

DeathScreen Registered Member

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but if i have a bootale usb , is there a way to make an image of it?
    wich program could i use to make a image of my usb bootable

7. Raza0007

I used UltraIso to make a bootable USB flash based SP recovery environment. It is a paid software but gives you a fully functional trial. After you make the USB bootable, make sure you make a backup of it so that if you ever need it again you do not need UltaIso. or you can buy UltraIso. It appears to be a good software.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    could ultraiso make a backup of it

by the way , ultraiso doesn't want to write!
    i tried several times , run like administrator but it does give me" the number of devices 0":oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

with the usb stick inserted , i tried many other usb keys

nothing
    i'm using ultraiso trial , do you run it under vista?

Attached Files:

10. Raza0007

Yes, I am using it under Vista 32-bit. On their website they say this error is related to the UAC and you need to be logged in as an administrator to run UltraIso. Are you logged in as an Admin on winxp?

and to your earlier question, you can use Shadowprotect to backup the usb stick.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i 'm logged like admin for xp
    i can use shadowprotect to backup my usb
    but ultraiso doesn't want to put my iso in the usb :( :(

12. Raza0007

Well, I am at a loss to understand what is going on. I just downloaded a trial version of UltraIso and installed it inside my VM running winxp sp3 and it recognizes my usb flash drive. So it is not a Vista vs XP problem. Wait for Deathscreen to come online maybe he will have some tips for you.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way thank you so much

14. DeathScreen

UltraIso should see your Usb stick only if it is formated (Fat32 or Ntfs does not matter).
    Can you see your Usb Stick within Windows Explorer or when open Computer ?
    If yes, I must work. If you can't see it, check if the number of letters assigned to your devices is great enough. i.e A-Z .

Sorry, I can't stay longer to night. Hope you solve your problem. :)

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you could always follow this

i know its intended for making windows 7 installable from usb stick but all you need to do is do step 1 and 2 and then create a shadow protect desktop recovery cd and copy the files to the usb stick and it should then work perfectly.

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i can and it works
    the number is F for the usb key

17. DeathScreen

Hi mantra,

I just check with UltraIso. In order to work, your Usb key must be visible into the left down panel into UltraIso. (Where other partitions are seen) and should have a drive number and name (optional).
    There is no reason not to see your Usb key in UltraIso unless if it has been used and formated as a Diskette 1.44mo. In this case you cant' make Bootable USB HDD. So, format it and use Windows Management Console to assign your key a new letter higher than your DVD/CD Drives.

Hope this can help .:)

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    the strange thing is that i can make an image of my usb with ultraiso
    i can see on the left , i mean my usb
    i have to say that i tried a program and http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives...image-to-usb-flash-pen-drive-kon-boot-to-usb/
    to make some tests

is enough use the explorer(xp to format my usb) or should i use another utility

ps ultraiso is in trial version

19. DeathScreen

Use Windows XP Format utility. Right click on the Usb key and format depend of the size of the key. Fat32 if you don't plan to use more than 2 go files , otherwise use NTFS.
    You don't need third party software, UltraIso in trial mode has all options on.
    It is very strange that UltraIso can't write your key. Are you sure it's not write protected ?

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i 'm sure
    because i can write with every software
    is there an alternative to ultraiso ? i don't remember the name but.. i was able to make floppy or cd image , able to make an exe to restore the image

21. Raza0007

You can not write an ISO to a USB flash drive without modifying it. It will not boot properly. ISO to usb tool actually adds additional information to allow ISO to boot from usb flash drive. This is the reason you need a tool like UltraISO. I am not aware of any other.

The puzzling thing is why UltraISO can not detect your usb flash drive. Perhaps their is some other software on your computer that is interfering with UltraISO. You can do one thing, install UltraISO inside a virtual environment, if you have this facility, and see if it is able to see your usb flash drive.

You can use virtualbox for creating a VM.

22. Raza0007

One more thing I wanted to mention here is, when you install UltraISO it gives you an option to install an emulator. sometome if you have multiple emulators installed from competing companies it creates problems. When I installed it I chose not to install this emulator. Try doing the same. It might solve your problem.

23. Creer

Creer Registered Member

24. samy

samy Registered Member

Hi Creer
    I performed as per the instructions in this thread but the the flash drive was not bootable

lodore
    Have you tested this method?

Thanks

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

may i ask a question?
    which are the setting of your ubs key?

optimise for fast removal or optimise performance

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.