ShadowProtect incrementals

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by nexstar, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I'm trying to get my head around SP's incrementals, which backup strategy is best and how ImageManager integrates with the whole thing.

I've been playing around with SP incrementals for someone who I recommended it to for their web design business (a small, two person setup). They are not overly computer literate and so wanted something with the least intervention possible but that could keep them pretty much current in case of human or PC failure.

So, looking at SP's scheduling options, we've got:

Now - good but not automatic

Later- a delayed version of 'Now' ;) .

Weekly - You get the option to make a full backup on one or, slightly surprisingly, more days. You then tell it which days to carry out incrementals, between which hours and at what intervals. This is good and understandable. However, if you select multiple days for a full backup, what are the incrementals based on....or does it do parallel incrementals for each of the full backups?

Monthly - This gives similar options to Weekly with the possibility of multiple full backups. However, the incrementals only have a start time and no finish time. What am I missing here?

Continuous Incrementals - OK, the final option has me even more confused :eek: . I understand that this option will make a full backup first and then you have the option to make VSS incremental backups on one or more days, starting at a set time. Is this a one-off incremental? I guess it must be as there is no period between backups. You can then set other incrementals which will be between set times and at set intervals and which can be made using VSS or StorageCraft's own method. What are the diffferences between the two methods?

Also, with Continuous Incrementals it states that the ImageManager service must be used. Why is that?

I set up ImageManager and tested it out on some 15 minute incrementals. It was set to do this hourly. The odd thing was, it didn't seem to do it for the first 3 or 4 hours, but then it kicked in and started generating incrementals. But what is a good strategy for this?

I guess you would want to keep the 15 minute incrementals for a few days in case disaster happens but then a consolidated daily incremental may well be enough. The trouble is that a novice user looking at the backup folder would probably have a fit :) . It would be nice to move the 'keepers' somewhere else and named in a slightly more user-friendly way.

Any input an clarification on any of this would be greatly appreciated :) .

Graham

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi graham

The continous incrementals with image manager is the best option. What it does is take incrementals thru out the day. They are so fast and quick you never notice them. I was doing 15 minute incrementals, and they took an average of 7-10 seconds.

What you do is go into Shadowprotect, and create a new job.

1. Select your volume to back up.
    2. Select the destination on another drive and give it a file name.
    3. On the backup schedule leave it weekly and leave All the days checked.
    4. Select start and stop time. I use 9:00Am and 4:00PM
    5. Select Minutes between backup. I use 30 minutes
    (PS. I am setting up a new task as I do this. Since it's after 6:00 the first image will run tomorrow mornng at 9:00
    6. Now my Shadowprotect job is set up. So I close it.
    7. Now I startup the ImageManager client. You should have installed this with an easy to remember password.
    8. Note that when you start the client it says disconnected.
    9. CLick on FIle>connect to server. Only enter the password(which is case sensitive) Now it should say local host.
    10. On the policies tab click new.
    11 In the window that popped up browse to the path you set in shadowprotect
    12. Time of day. Since my last incremental is at 4:00pm I set this to 4:15pm
    13. Not sure what that Minutes between collapse is, so I leave it at 60
    14 I set the number number of days to the minimum which is done.
    15 Finally I don't tick that box, I let them get deleted.
    16. CLick okay, and close Imagemanager.

Here's what will happen. First thing tomorrow it will run a full image. Then it will take an incremental every 30 minutes.

Then at 4:15 it will build a daily incremental image. You will notice it didn't delete the 30 minute ones. Don't delete them.
    Then tomorrow it will again build 30 min incrementals and at the end of the day it will collapse it into a daily, and clean up the day befores incrementals.

At the end of the week, it will collapse the daily incrementals into a weekly, and at the end of the month make a monthly.

All Automatically.

If I haven't totally lost you, ask away.

Pete

3. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Thanks Pete, that was a lot clearer than the manual :) . So, in the weekly backup schedule, do you select a day to do a weekly backup? I noticed that it allows you to not select that at all in which case I guess it does a full backup as the first incremental. Also, if you create weekly backups, do the following incrementals belong to the latest weekly backup?

I need to do a bit more playing around with it but some of the features would take me a week or a month to discover :) .

Graham

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It does the weekly automatically. Tell you the truth, not sure where the latest incrementals, belong. Not sure it matters. You can always restore to any point. Actually every little bit, I'd just delete the whole mess and start over.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.