ShadowProtect Desktop Evaluation

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am a Home User and would like to evaluate ShadowProtect Desktop for 30 days rather than doing a Trial for 30 days. However, on the 'ShadowProtect Desktop Evaluation Request' web page it says "Home users interested in evaluating ShadowProtect Desktop please 'Click Here'". 'Click Here' is a link to download and older version of ShadowProtect Desktop (version 3.3x).

I would like to do a Full Evaluation (including WinPE boot CD) for 30 days. I downloaded and installed the version 3.3x, and I see no mention of how to get their "Evaluation" WinPE boot CD.

What do I need to do to get a Full 30 day Evaluation of ShadowProtect Desktop?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I would suggest you post this over at Storage Craft's forum. It's been my experience they get back with you within 24 hours. I would just copy, and paste your post so you don't have to type it again. If someone hear can answer your question that would be great as well, but I would go ahead and post it at Storage Craft's forum. http://forum.storagecraft.com/Community/forums/

3. timcan

timcan Registered Member

I believe you have to fill in all of the red * boxes required and click submit.
    Ignore the other stuff written above it.
    Some one correct me if I'm wrong. :)

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

timcan is right, you have to apply for it as if you were a company. They will get back to you (you may have to wait, it is not a matter of minutes)eventually with a link to download an ISO image to burn to CD/DVD (without it one can not restore any saved images).

5. TheKid7

Thank you.

I joined the Storagecraft Forum, made the Forum Post and they have already replied.

I made an Image of my System Partition with Image for DOS prior to installing the older ShadowProtect 3.3x. Therefore, I have plenty of time to obtain and perform the Full Evaluation. I will just Restore to Pre-ShadowProtect 3.3x, and then install the Full Evaluation ShadowProtect 4.x.

I am quite happy with my Image for Windows/Image for DOS/Image for Linux. The reason that I would like to do a Full Evaluation of ShadowProtect Desktop and their bootable Restore CD is to see how easy it is to use and basically to familiarize myself with it. I sometimes recommend to people that they should obtain an Imaging software and make routine Images of their System Partition (Most don't take my advice.). ShadowProtect Desktop looks like it could be a good choice for the home user, despite it being pricey.

6. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Except IT Edition's bootdisk, other editions need to pre-installed ShadowProtect in your OS if you want to use the HIR feature, it is no good at all! It's the only one backup/imaging software that I've seen needed to do so.
    Acronis, Paragon, Symantec and O&O are not needed to pre-installed if you want to use the UR/P2P feature.:D

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Shadow Protect is very dependable, and has never failed me in restoring my PC. The only thing is you have to use the recovery CD to restore your PC with SP. I also use Acronis True Image 11, and I don't have to use the recovery CD with ATI 11 in order to restore my PC. ATI 11 has always restored my PC without incident, and has never failed me. I also used Acronis True Image 2010, but it was not dependable for me at all. I received error after error message, and had to use my windows CD in the end. I do not recommend ATI 2010. Maybe they fixed those problems in ATI 2011, but i have not tried ATI 2011 so I have no way of knowing.

8. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

HIR. Not exactly SPD's most widely used feature. Furthermore, having to install the application shouldn't be a dealbreaker for the minority that do end up using this feature.
    If that's the best argument against SPD, and it's not ($$$), then they've done something really right.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

I should have mentioned earlier that Shadow Protect takes on average 5 to 8 minutes to restore my PC using a 16gb backup image. I believe that's excellent performance. It is to me anyway.

10. TheKid7

I do not fully understand the effect of the HIR feature and having ShadowProtect Desktop installed. Does it mean that if my hard drive fails and I replace the hard drive with a new one, I cannot restore an Image to the new hard drive?

Thanks in Advance.

11. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

It's simply this: in order to use HIR, you need to have SPD installed on your hard drive so that SPD will show as "installed" in any image you made of the (now failed) hard drive.

12. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Below is a link to a post by "Nate" explaining how to set up the recovery environment on your HDD (without using the CD). I haven't done it because, frankly, I just don't see the need but, apparently, the option is there.

http://forum.storagecraft.com/Community/forums/t/2664.aspx

13. samy

samy Registered Member

TheKid7
    Have a look to this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=264223

14. Cutting_Edgetech

I didn't know it was possible. I tried to restore my PC many times without the Recovery CD, and it failed everytime. I checked the forums for help, and no one could help me. Everyone told me I had to use the Recovery CD. Thanks for the post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.