ShadowProtect - Desktop Edition [$67]

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by savalnc, Jan 15, 2015.

1. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Perhaps a no-brainer if you had to pay for licenses. However, I thought the question was which product you would choose if you were able to get a license (or as many as you desired) free of charge.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It was. But wouldn't you take the more expensive of the two?

3. prius04

Well, SP just happens to be the more expensive of the two but, having used it almost to the exclusion of all other imaging solutions for years, I would select SP even if SP were less expensive. I would bet there are Macrium users who would choose free Macrium Pro licenses over free SP licenses for the same reason. Now, if I were given an unlimited number of licenses and allowed to resell them, well......:)

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

In my experience using SP I've found it to be spot on first rate in reliability and also as Pete mentioned earlier in the thread, its continuous incremental cannot be beat. I use it sometimes but I also use a different, competing product, can't mention here, as well, for certain imaging situations, especially where Linux is involved.

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

LOL, why not mention the other one?
    I have the same need and I think its a legitimate question to ask: which imagers can do both Windows OS and Linux?

I have dual boot Win8.1 x84 and Ubuntu x64. So my choices are Acronis, IFW/IFL, DS, Paragon HDM and Clonezilla.

PS: Yeah I do realize this thread is about SP, however this discussion is still valid IMHO, since being able to image a LINUX OS is an important feature that every imager should consider to implement (again, this is just my opinion).

6. savalnc

savalnc Registered Member

One thing I did not like about SP is that when restoring a disk with multiple partitions (i.e Windows 8 )you will need to select each partition destination instead of just selecting the disk and having SP recognizing it and doing the restore.
    Also, I secure wiped my SSD and then I recreated partitions (UEFI, Recovery, Primary) using Windows 8 CD, then I tried to restore a backup that I made before wiping my SSD, it finished successfully but received blue screen after booting.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I'm guessing it's Terabyte's Image For Linux. ;)

8. wat0114

You guessed right :) Sorry oliver, I just didn't want to be accused of bringing another product into a SP discussion.

9. oliverjia

LOL no problem mate.
    SP is a great product for Windows for sure.. I'll use it as one of my top two Windows imagers if I did not buy IFL before.
    However for Linux I have to turn to other products such as Clonezilla and IFL, since SP does not support Linux OS.

10. wat0114

Believe it or not, some years ago I managed to successfully image and restore a Linux installation with SP. Somewhere in these forums I posted about it. That said, I use IFL for Linux.

11. oliverjia

I definitely think it's doable using SP - most likely the linux installation was imaged as "RAW" image. I think most imagers today can do the same with Linux installations. The problem with RAW images is that the size is the same as the Linux partition - no compression.

Currently I use IFL/IFW and Paragon HDM to image Linux partitions. Sometime use Clonezilla.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  12. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

is this available to UK or only US ?

13. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I would stay clear from SP : when I removed V4 from a Vista PC a while back, it totally destroyed VSS. I had to reinstall it to get VSS working again. Just my personal opinion...

14. Peter2150

That was a while back, Vista and V4. To assume the problem still exists is a huge leap. Actually on win 7 and V5 I have installed and uninstalled several time, with no issues.

15. prius04

Agree.....same result with v5 (installing/uninstalling) on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 - no issues.

16. MerleOne

That's good to know. I wish Acronis users could say the same, I have read so many horror stories about uninstalling it that I never even tried...

17. oliverjia

I installed/uninstalled Acronis on 2 of my 5 computers, no problems, even without the need to use its cleanup tool..

18. MerleOne

Great news. There was a time where Acronis filter drivers remained active after install and had to be manually removed by fiddling with the registry, which is risky. Funnily enough, the directions were given on SP support forum (because it caused issues with their own drivers).

19. estervantes

estervantes Registered Member

Can someone tell me if it Is possible to use just the StorageCraft Recovery Disc 3.5 to back up and restore on Windows 8.1 64? I previously did this successfully on Windows 7 32 many times without problems and now would like to use it on my new OS.

20. Peter2150

Just try it. See if it will boot, and then see if you can mount and explore an image. If so it will probably work. But why not just build a later one?

21. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Security Expert

Can SP image a larger driver to a new smaller drive on it's own. Post 31 from savaINC seems to indicate that it cannot. Or is it just that it requires technical understanding and providing switches to do it. Using diskpart one can resize the partition before hand but of a few tools used only TrueImage seemed to successfully resize on the fly and have a bootable new drive. Easy to resize with diskpart but nice to have a tool that can do it on it's own. Agree the price is certainly a deterrent though but so is TI for that matter.

22. Peter2150

I believe it actually can, but it isn't that straight forward. Alas it's been so long I have forgotten the procedure. You might either look at the documentation or go to their forum and ask.

Pete

23. prius04

I've never had occasion to do so, but it appears to be a simple procedure; mount the image as writeable and then dismount the image using the dismount wizard with the shrink option checked.

24. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Security Expert

Their KB says that it can but may not be quite as integrated as TI is.

http://www.storagecraft.com/support/kb/article/152

Thanks for the input.

Based on the IT Edition cost I suppose I'll need to continue using diskpart and Clonezilla for cloning. Then continue to look for something else like AX64 that has a better per PC licensing cost than SP.
    Great product offering but just way too expensive. Retail Price: $3,520.00

http://buy.storagecraft.com/Storage...Technician-Subscription-1-to-2-Years-P21.aspx

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  25. AlphaOne

AlphaOne Registered Member

Hi Pete,

I am very interested in what you say, but am not sure that this is the PM that you suggested. If not, would you be kind enough to PM me (and tell me how to PM here in the future).

Thanks,
    Ron

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.