ShadowProtect continuous incrementals

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mhob, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

This doesn't make sense to me. All the partitions have to be backed up in order to restore them to a new drive. The SP restore CD is no more than a WINPE environment from where SP runs and perform. If SP can not back it up, the WINPE itself can do nothing more.
    I've fed up with such kind of bullshxt by big companies like Norton/SP before. Their support ppl is typically incompetent.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think it is true. Can't do it with the new mother boards, but when I used the Winpe recovery environment, you could image the c partition, then delete the whole volume, and restore the c partition to the whole drive. It would automatically fix the boot stuff for you.

Pete

3. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

True for old BIOS based motherboards.
    For the new UEFI system, with GPT/secureboot, all 4 partitions have to be backed up in order to restore to a new hard drive and get the system working, because the EFI partition has all the boot information, and the partition layout has to be reserved in correct order.
    SP still has problems finding and backing up the Microsoft Reserved Partition, since that partition is hidden and RAW.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It seems that when a disk is initialized as GPT, the MRP is created automatically. But I don´t know what happens with the order of the partitions, because in this case the MRP would be the "first" partition, and this is not the normal order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.