ShadowProtect 3.1

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by egghead, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Hello,

On the moment I'm trialing SP and I'm very impressed with it's speed.
    It also seems a reliable proggie: the creation/restoring of images went flawlessly. I'm most likely going to buy SP.

Am I correct that you can't clone a HD with SP or am I looking with my nose (as usual :rolleyes: ).

cheers

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you mean essentially copy from A to B with both disks in the machine I don't think so. But for sure you could restore to the new disk.

But you are for sure right about reliablitiy. Be sure to check out the continous incrementals.

Pete

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Pete
    Am I missing something,but would have assumed that in order to copy or clone an image to a new disk(hardware),just use the HIR function,save the resulting HIR image,then restore the HIR image to the new disk ,after ensuring that the new disk is recognised.

To copy or clone to an existing disk,how about using the disk map-delete volume and then restoring the required image.

edit; What SP doesnt have is a proper Restore Files and Folders,just an ordinary copy and paste function.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  4. egghead

My understanding is that you with HIR can transfer an existing system to a very different machine (take an image on one pc and restore it to another that has entirely different hardware).

What I mean is this:
    Can I copy my internal HD (consisting of 3 partitions) in one go and put it in one go on e.g. an external HD. Or do I have to create 3 images and put 1 image at a time on the external HD.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  5. Hairy Coo

Egghead-

Not really sure how HIR would perform in this case.

The assumption would have to be that HIR could be used for a new disk which should be the same conditions basically as a new machine ,or even an existing disk on the original machine,as long as the disk is formatted.Then you could transfer in one operation.

Worth trying ,if you can backup the external before formatting,otherwise of course you would have to restore per partition.

6. Peter2150

Don't have time now, but will post in some detail later.

7. Peter2150

Not sure I can really address the cloning situation. as I've never had a need to clone drives.

You right there is no restore files and folders, but why is it really needed. Just mount the image and you can retrieve whatever you need. The extra functionality gains nothing and is bloat in my opinion.

Pete

8. Peter2150

Absolutely, I've done it.

This is a bit different. If you have 3 partitions, you can image in one go, but you will end up with an image for each partition, and to restore you will have to do 3 restores. While this is an inconvenience, in a way I like having the separate images. When I got my new IBM tablet I imaged the whole drive. Since I don't do anything with IBM's partition, but didn't want to delete it, I just saved that image and work with the active partition. If I ever need the other one I have it.

On the separate question about HIR and different hardware. It works and works well. When I tested it I did some stuff that had no right working and it did.

9. Hairy Coo

Except if you want to restore an app. file,you cant do it by copy/paste.
    Admittedly doesnt happen often but Ive had to do it with ATI,which restores it to the original position ,plus all the dependent bits and pieces.
    You can only copy/paste data successfully with SP, as a single function.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

My wishlist for SP:

- Ability retore image on a smaller partition( not yet supported if I am not forgetting).
    - Ability to boot n retore without CD.
    - Ability to flush empty space while imaging in raw mode

11. egghead

I like to see the option of enabling "verify image" during the preparation of the backup job.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Its sad that verifying good is no promise for a smooth restore,i donna scare you but a more sure way is a restore immediately after backup,so you know for sure that the image can be restored or not in the future. Luckily SP has a solid reputation on these so don't worry to much if you do a restore.

But as with everything nobody can give you 100% guarantee.

13. Peter2150

Actually I likewise don't really bother with a verify. I just mount the image extract an archive, make sure I can recover something from it, and then immediately restore the image.

Pete

14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

If the verification goes good, it means that you have a solid image. Failing to restore it might involve other factors. So, I prefer to do both, verification and restoring. I also store checksums (CRC32, MD5 and SHA256) of my images in a text file to do on-demand integrity checking.

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Curious about the " other factors " . Diskrot come to mind,maybe there several more ?

BTW in my eyes if you have solid image then there is no need for restore afterwards.

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Hardware factors causing corruption in the data stream, corrupted data in partition tables, bugs in the imaging software, etc.
    But yes, a verified image should restore fine in 99.999 % of the times. This has given me the confidence of defragging images and moving them around.

17. blarson

blarson Registered Member

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I have no SP install,just the recovery CD ,good enough for me,and yes blasingly fast !!

19. Hairy Coo

Great review from a respected source-hopefully this will be accepted by those who say SP isnt faster-only on your machine etcetc blah blah.:)

20. blarson

blarson Registered Member

Yes, that makes for a very reliable backup; however, to use the Hardware Independent Restore (HIR), you must have ShadowProtect installed inside the image before creating the backup.

21. Peter2150

No arguments from me.

22. spm

spm Registered Member

Question: Does ShadowProtect support command line backup and image verification operations? No mention of it in the User Guide, and haven't received an answer from StorageCraft.

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i like it tooo
    but i can i test ito_O?

in the trial version is there not the ability to make a bootable cd to recovery the backup , so how can i test it?

24. Peter2150

Go to this link. Fill out the form. They will send an email with a download link. Ignore the warning in red about being an Enterprise version.

Pete

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks and can i backup & restore with the cd?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.