shadowdefender.com is down

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by sdmod, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Just a note to Shadow Defender users and interested parties.
    shadowdefender.com is down/not accessible today 24/12/2010. I logged in last night without a problem. I will post here if there is any change.

Patrick (Shadow Defender global moderator)

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Not good news, but thanks for the heads up.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Well, you mean the forum link, right? Yup, got this error:

The SD home page is still accessible from what I see.

4. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Nope, the whole thing was dead but just checked there a couple of minutes ago and everything seems to be back on the track again.:)

5. sdmod

Yes, to confirm, it's back up again :)

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Patrick, it's a shame all the hard work you've put into shadow defender, and the developer has gone AWOL.

I sent the company who process the transactions an email asking if they've heard from Tony, they said they'd look into it, but they've had no reply.

This mystery will do anyone's head in.

But if he's logging into the forum and not posting, having you do all his work, but he's receiving the income from the sale of the product, having people waste their time sending emails to the support inbox, it's flat out wrong.

He's a good guy, I like his product, I wouldn't have re-wrote all the text on his home page if I didn't appreciate his program.

But talk about jerking people's chains. Tony, if you're reading this, quit ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ around and start posting/replying. Once a week, once a month, just clear the air. #$%^! :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Considering the fact that he's from China, there's always the possibility he got arrested for some reason, maybe pertaining to his work. :blink:

8. Saraceno

True. I was a little on the angry side when I wrote that. Personally, as with other sole developers, I think he just needs time away from working long hours for possibly not much pay. I just think if he did have five minutes spare, a message like, I'm taking a year off from this work, would be perfectly fine. Luckily SD is still a program which runs well, and should continue to run well without official support for quite awhile yet.

9. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

Although this is not a far possibility given China's authoritarian government, I would say it is highly unlikely in his case. His software is being used there as commonly as institutions use their equivalent of deepfreeze here in the US. If the Chinese government had something against his product, his site would have been erased from the planet along time ago. I am pretty sure he has taken some time off and abruptly decided to stop visiting the forums.

This is weird, but a plausible possiblity nonetheless.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Another possibility is the fact that to manage directly an international forum, might be seen by the Chinese censorship as potentially a dangerous vehicle to export/import vital information in code, so as a precautionary measure he might have been asked not to participate anymore to the forum in exchange of receiving the proceeds of SD sales.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If that's the case, where he isn't allowed to communicate via the forum, maybe he could issue an upgrade to let us know he is still there.

12. sdmod

Thanks for your comments guys. No word from Tony yet, my own view is that he would have contacted me/us if he was able, he was communicating in a normal way before the sudden stop, no indication of stress or worry, I sent photos of my home town etc which he commented on and seemed ok.
    Sareceno, My own little contribution (claim to fame :) ) to the Shadow Defender site was recomending the change from "SHADOW DEFENDER The way to a safe world" to "SHADOW DEFENDER The way to a safer world" and a few other little changes within the prog. Shadow Defender is still for sale as far as I know and the domain is active until April this year (Godaddy). Apart from the steady flow of spammers (shoes seems to be a big thing) )))chuckle((( that we have to delete on the forum everything seems to be running ok.

Patrick

13. Saraceno

You've done a lot for the program, just by helping new users out and steering discussion.

I understand though, if he is ok, it's sometime difficult to come back when people have been asking a million questions. My brother is a moderator on a popular forum (and actively posts), and when he was away in hospital, a lot of people asked where he was. Could he have told me to log in and post he was ok? Probably, but he didn't as his mind was on getting better.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, as I always have. Seeing that post that he may have replied to someone kind of annoyed me, but I got over it five minutes later. ;)

He may surprise us all with a new version and new features. Eg. like to see the list of changes (registry/system) that you haven't committed and will be discarded. Kind of like a log file of what has happened while in shadow mode.

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

v.1.1.0.326 the latest Non-Official version:

32-bit

64-bit

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

What's new in .326? Where did it come from?:)

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

That was the latest Unofficially-Released version (Official is .325)
    Check HERE
    They fixed some bugs of .325 I guess...
    .326 does Not write BETA though.

This is what I use without a problem.
    dja2k uses it, too.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks. :)

18. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Oops, I didn't know it wasn't official. I just installed it yesterday on my new Win7 Ultimate x64 PC. I hope it'll be OK. :D

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I've used the 32-bit version without a problem.
    I wish you the same...:)

20. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I've decided to dump shadowdefender untill thing's are clearer.

What's the point playing guessing games as to when the guy is going to return. With no accountability at the moment anything could happen.

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

SD works, you paid for your copy. If you uninstall it you may not be able to get it back again.:doubt:

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I've used Shadow Defender v1.1.0.326 (32-bit)without a problem. :thumb:

23. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

To those using Shadow Defender v1.1.0.326, you might want to re-consider and use the last official version instead (.325) since it 'failed' under certain tests whereas v1.1.0.325 'passed'.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1706511&postcount=66
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1706951&postcount=106
    -http://ssj100.fullsubject.com/t166-light-virtualization-software-partial-sandbox-test-

Note that I'm just giving heads up...nothing more than that. Feel free to use whatever version works right for you. After all, Tony is MIA and who knows what the future holds...perhaps future tests with newer threats may show opposite results. It's all a game of gamble since nothing is ever 100% fool-proof.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  24. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Thank you for the Heads Up! :thumb:

We can easily go back to the
    Last Official version 1.1.0.325

25. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Does one purchase (USD 35/-) cover both 32-bit and 64-bit versions or each version must be bought separately ?

Is SD licensed per computer or per user (one key can use on both desktop+laptop) ?

Thanks for any guidance,
    SKA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.