Shadow Protect Scheduling Stopped Working

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by LenC, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I've been using the same schedule for quite some time - weekly full backup with daily incrementals. All of a sudden, it has stopped working. I have sufficient space on the target drive and I'm not seeing anything in event manager. The machine is not in sleep or hibernate mode. I can execute it manually and it works fine.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't see anything obvious. Try rebuilding the job and see if that matters. If it works, chalk it up to computer magic.

Pete

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Hi Peter -
    Yep, I tried that - it didn't help.

Prius04 -
    I plan to do that.

Thank you.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Now it seems to be working. I've been waiting for it to not fire up so I would have a recent occurrence to discuss with Tech Support. I'll just be keeping an eye on it to see what happens.

The only thing different is that I have been going portable with the laptop more than I used to do. So I've been unplugging and replugging the external hard drive. Whenever I replug it, I always check to see that it is being recognized by the system (displaying properly in "My computer".

Maybe the rebuild fixed it, as Peter suggested.

6. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi LenC :)

You mentioned about going more portable lately, perhaps a schedule failure during a time when your external drive was unattached?

Glad it is working again, I just wondered if maybe it had tried to run the schedule in between the external being attached.

Thank you for updating us on how it is working.

Jim

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

No - it runs at 4:00am and the computer is always docked at that hour. On a rare occasion in the past when I did forget to reconnect the ext HD, the backup started and then crashed with an error message that the destination file could not be found (or something like that).

This is different - there is no indication that the program fired up - a log file was not created.

8. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I think I know what the problem was. When I disconnected my external HD, the ShadowProtect.exe process stopped. (I verified this in task manager.) So it seems to me that whenever I disconnect and then reconnect my external HD, I must also restart shadow protect. That's no big deal - I can live with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.