Shadow protect questions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Dark Shadow, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hello I am having my first experience with shadow protect, well In fact new to any image software.To my questions I pretty much figured out most of the program with reasonable understanding, but however I really dont under stand mount or dismount image.
    1.Do I leave mounted after my full first full back up.
    2.I saved to my local C drive Is that ok or should I have saved else where.
    Well thats about it,I am a little nieve here to this type of programs so any tips would greatly appreciated thank you In advance.:doubt:Dave

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Dave

Your image isn't "mounted" perse after you created it. You can mount it any time, either as another drive, or has a folder. This allows you to explore, the image, extract files from it, and in fact even add files to it. THen once you are done, you should dismount it.

Saving to your c: drive, assuming you imaged your c: drive isn't okay. Whole point of imaging is if your your c: drive fails, then bye bye image. You want to save the images either on another internal drive or an external drive. Don't recommend DVD's.

Ask away as you go.

Pete

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Hi Dave

Mounting an image is done purely so you can recover files from an existing backup,or because you want to view the contents of a backup.
    There is no technical reason for leaving the mount drive active at all and you should dismount it when you have finished the viewing.
    You can do both operations from the SP Wizards-Explore backups and dismount backups.
    Dismount can also be done by right clicking on the mount drive and clicking dismount.

You should not save the backups to C drive,as the whole point of the backup is to primarily protect your C drive.
    If for example the drive fails mechanically ,or some serious problem exists,BSOD,MBR corrupted etc-you may not have access to an image to restore with your SP recovery CD.
    Backup to another disk-or buy one.

4. Dark Shadow

I guess Im stuck on stupid at the moment, I am clearly brain dead. one to many rock concerts I guesso_O

5. Dark Shadow

That all means I understand what you guys said And was not thinking,go head let me have it:oops:

6. estervantes

estervantes Registered Member

Hi Peter..Why not DVD's? I have just made an image and have stored it onto an external HD and, secondarily, to DVD's. I did this because I had more trust in the inviolability of the data on DVD's than in HD's. Is this not the case?

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

AFAIK among others it has something to do with the speed of backup/restore,which is slower with DVD i guess [i never did it myself] and if you have to split image into several DVD,its a hasle to close/open the player al the time,and maybe mistakes can happen with sequence of placing the DVD in there if you do a restore. just my two cents ! :)

BTW here in Europe prices for external harddrives drop dramatically,just bought a Toshiba 500 gig for 65 euro !

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Using DVD's as second backup is OK, DVD's as main backup is asking for troubles.
    I keep my external harddisk OFF-LINE. I can only backup/restore my system and data partition in my off-line snapshot, which has no internet connection.
    I only need to backup my system partition [C:] when it changed and that hardly happens, because it contains only Windows and Applications.
    I backup my data partition [D:] every day, but only the changes, using Karen's Replicator.
    So my daily backup isn't really a big or time-consuming job.

I use ShadowProtect mainly to keep my system partition in a fresh, unused and up-to-date state.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I too like and use an external HD for images, but have also used DVDs for over 2 years. It is a good deal slower but I have never made any coasters and found the method to be very reliable. This for both ShadowProtect and Image for Windows/DOS.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Part of the reason is time, but also reliability. In my case I would need 5 DVD's, and should there be a problem with any one of them, the whole data set is gone.

Since I consider my images extremely high value, I use both a 2nd internal drive, and two external drives. That might be extreme for many, but the cost of usb drives now is fairly low.

Pete

11. Dark Shadow

I think thats a valid point, DVD-CD can become damaged/Scratched to a point where It Is unoperatable,Even missplace.External devices other then DVD-cd are more a reliable source.

12. Hairy Coo

If you carry out a backup say every day,which you should at a minimum,if only SP is used,imagine the time,cost and inconvenience taken,feeding in one DVD after the other,then the next day-throwing the lot away!
    Using rewritable DVDs would make slightly more sense,but even then,time consuming awkward and potentially unreliable,plus you cant carry out incrementals.
    As Huupi said -just buy a cheap external drive,if you dont want to fit another internal,

13. Dark Shadow

yep,thats my plain this week try to find largest external dr at a reasonable price.

14. Hairy Coo

Try to get a SATA drive and enclosure with eSATA brackets included,rather than USB drive,as SATA is faster and more reliable for backups

All this is assuming of course,that your mobo will support SATA :)

15. Dark Shadow

Noted,thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.