Shadow Protect: Incremential same size as a full backup?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by sukarof, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Hi

I just did a incremential backup too see if I could save space on my USB-drive, but even though the help file says:

the size of the new image is the same as the full backup file. Not only that, it also took more than twice the time to make the incremential than the full backup.
    I am sure I have misunderstood something here...but what?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Sukarof

I was a bit confused at first also. Taking manual images that will happen, especially should you defrag.

What you need to do is go into scheduling and set up a job. I use Weekly. Then depending on what you want to accomplish you. If you really want manual, then set the time when the machine is off. On the backup jobs tab, the first button at the top is execute. Click on the down arrow, and from there you can choose either full or incremental.

Note, if you let it run automatically, and something messes up the last incrmental, on the next schedule run it will do a full backup. Also don't defrag between runs.

Neat thing is if on automatic, you will never feel them they are so fast.
    I have a job run on my business machine during the day, and I've had it to full and incremental backups. Never knew. Incrementals are small in size and time.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Pete

PS Neat thing is you can collapse them into one backup.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I see. I only boot into XP snapshot to do few things that I cant do in Vista so I cant use schedule yet. Looking forward for the version 3, not many days left now :)
    Until then I´ll just do full backups.

Thanks for your explanation.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Where is version 3?

Take Care
    Rico

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It will be posted some time today, according to Nate on the Storagecraft forum.

Also waiting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.