shadow protect in every day use.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ellison64, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive had SP for quite a while now ,and keep two full backups of my C : drive on a S: partition (yes i know i should keep it on external drive and probably will shortly).My question is that if i want to test a new software ,but want to rollback in case of issues,what is the best way to use SP in that case?.A full backup takes around forty mins at present.I see differential backup ,in backup options but not sure whether to proceed as i haven't used that before ,or know how it works exactly.I think i have to pick a current full backup and then choose differential backup.In that case i suspect that only changes will be registered.But will it affect the full backup at all?.Can some experts show me the easiest and quickest way to use SP in software testing ,and whther the differential backup is better for that?
    tia
    ellison

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I separated system [C:] and data [D:]. So my system volume is alot smaller than my data volume.
    When I need to test new softwares, I restore a system image, not a system+data image and that doesn't take so much time, in my case 3 minuts + 3 minuts loading time of the Recovery CD.
    After all, I don't need my data to test new softwares.

If I have compatible problems with a software, I test the software also in a clean image that has only Windows. If the software is still not compatible, I ditch it. That happens seldom of course.

I can use VM of course, but then I need an extra software to do this, just for testing legitimate softwares.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi ellison

You are correct, in that with the differential only the changes are registered.

I am assuming you don't want to split like Erik, so I will go from there. Differential backup's take up a lot less space, but can sometimes take longer because of the compare time.

Let me ask 2 questions as there may be an idea.

First how often are you testing software.

Second. How much data is on your drive that the backup takes 40 minutes. That seems long.

Pete

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Ellison

A different approach-there seems to be something wrong here,some conflict or setting possibly,which might need resolving.

That would be my first priority.

What is the image size?

Otherwise,as Pete also said-do you think it would be possible to cut down this impossibly long time,by anchoring some data elsewhere.

For example if videos(always slow) are backed up,can these be moved to a different partition and backed up seperately.

I always use the full backup to restore after dubious testing and have done away with all troublesome ISR solutions-just SP.

In my case the times involved make this possible.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  5. ellison64

My C:drive which is what i backup is 91.7 gig with 193 gig free space.I have vista premium OS with intel core 2 duo E6550 2.33ghz.I have 4 gig of ram,so i dont have a really slow machine.When i back up i always shut down the av and mst defrag,and other apps that can be shut down.I could put data elsewhere i guess but im not experienced enough to do this.I test software quite often...maybe 4 or 5 times a week.Most software can just be uninstalled but if i get a major conflict (outpost 2009 + drive sentry ) i prefer to restore the image.
    ellison

6. Peter2150

You might try backing up from the Recovery CD and see if that improves your times. My times are about 9.5 minutes for 27gig. Time might also depend on your disk drives, data bus, especially if going to an external drive. I have to western digital external drives, and on the same machne one takes twice as long as the other to back up.

Pete

7. ellison64

Il try backing up from the disk next software i test.Ive noticed when backing up to my S: partition that disk write (in SP GUI)show around 7m/s (i think thats how its written)and gradually increases to about 21m/s,as its backing it up.Ive also noticed in the backup log that there seems to be a long time processing one event....(probing the target media for.4gig files support).Is that normal SP processing or is it an option i can turn off to save time?
    tia
    ellison

Attached Files:

8. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

hi ellison64

from my point of view if u test software in high frequency u better go for 2 great progs out threre 1. first defense isr 2. rollback/eaz fix

both take less time and even space to rollback to previous status.

i personaly uses eaz fix those days coz in single reboot u back to previous status.

if you consider stability in first class , u better go for first defnse ISR
    if time more important ( check software in high frequency ) go for eaz fiz / rollback rx

chers:D

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

But the OP is asking for a solution with ShadowProtect only with no other softwares involved than SP. I wonder how he is going to accomplish without separating system and data. I'm looking forward to another solution than mine. Maybe I can learn something new without wasting more time. :)

10. Peter2150

Not an option. What is has to do is make sure it can put a larger then 4g file on the disk.

You know one option you might consider is running a continous incremental job. That would keep an image up to date, and you would just shut it down, when you test a software, restore to the last incremental, and then turn it on again. The next incremental might take a bit longer, but then you'd be back on track.

Pete

11. ellison64

I changed to SP after having to reinstall my OS because of rollback rx (i havent tried eaz fix),and apparently FDISR is not sold in its pure form any more hence my question regarding SP.
    ellison

12. ellison64

How did you seperate system and data/Was it difficult?.Could this be accomplished without having to reinstall?What was your method?
    tia
    ellison

13. ellison64

It asks to install image manager to accomplish this.I'm not exactly sure what it does or the effects of installing it.Have you installed this?
    tia
    ellison

14. Peter2150

On your recovery CD which is also the install CD is the install for Image Manager. If you decide to install it let me know. I'll walk you thru it. One note should you do it, it will ask for a password. Just give it something simple you can remember.

Pete

15. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Ellison,

Your speeds are too low-I have similar specs to yours and prior to installing RAID 0(which catapults the speeds) was achieving more than double your speeds from Windows.

You should be achieving /averaging around say 40mb/s with a dual core CPU and no more than 15 mins or so for the complete job.
    Previously when the actual amount prior to compression was about the same as yours and was compressed down to an image size of about 30gb,it generally took me about 12 minutes..

Difficult to say exactly where the problem is-could be some software conflict.

Otherwise as I said,some data is slower to backup than others-videos /graphics etc seem the slowest.

So you should really move the logjams during the backup process to your S drive

It is pointless to constantly backup the same thing like static data,which may be the problem and doesnt change,but is only added to.

This should be moved S and can be backed up seperately but much less frequently

The easiest way to move to another area is use an app like
    HERE which also moves drive to drive.

If you can get the speeds right,there is really no need for ISRs-they all have problems!

A (very ) long shot-try re installing SP,but be sure to deactivate first otherwise you will have to re apply for activation.

16. Peter2150

Ellison, are you backing up to an external USB drive?

Pete

17. ellison64

No.. i backup to a partition which ive called S: .As i mentioned i would do this from windows.I shut down all sytem tray stuff such as av etc but i guess services are still running when i backup.
    ellison

18. ellison64

The speed issue is interesting.Did you backup in a similar fashion to me...from windows or from the disk?.I havent tried backing up from the disk yet,but will do so at next opportunity.Its only my c drive that i backup.I would not know what is considered to be static data(other than obvious stuff such as videos ,of which i only have 1 and pics again of which i dont have many).When i install a program ,i was under the impression that the program (as well as registering in program files) may also affect windows files ,registry etc.Ill have to look for an app to see whats takinhg all the 90 odd gig up.When i had w2000 with practically the same programes running and installed that i have now ,i was only using around 7 gig tops.By the way...can you recommend an app or test site that i can check my DISK SPEEDS?
    ellison
    ellison

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  19. ellison64

Mmm strange my c drive is now showing that its only 27 gig and not 91o_O .The only program ive tried over the last few days is outpost 2009 which is now off my machine.Ive either made a mistake in saying 91 gig initially or using outpost took up an immense amount of drive space?
    ellison

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  20. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Just started trying ShadowProtect. At the moment I am just using it from the Recovery CD. ie not installed.

I have a question about the file explorer feature in ShadowProtect.

I can explore files whilst just using the Recovery CD but is there any way they can be saved or does the product have to be fully installed?

Thanks

Terry

21. Peter2150

Hi Terry

You can save files by cutting and pasting. For example I sometimes mount the image and cut and paste it to the desktop for a test. Then doing a restore it should no longer be there.

You just have to remember that the Desktop on the recovery CD isn't the same as your windows desktop, so do to what i do you would have to go into the c:>documents and settings>username>desktop to put a file on the c: drive.

I'd experiment to see how it all works.

pete

22. TerryWood

Hi Peter

Thanks for that. Will do

One last question.

I noticed on a restore that there was the option to restore MBR (I think it means Master boot Record. Whatever that is)

I did not tick this option and it appears to have restored OK.

So the Questions are:

Why would I need to restore MBR?

Should it be the standard to restore it?

Could you explain in very layman terms what MBR is and does?

Thanks for your help

Terry

23. Peter2150

Hi Terry

THis link will provide more then you ever wanted to know about the MBR.

On a routine system and routine restore it doesn't matter. There was nothing unique about your mbr so it doesn't effect anything..

I always restore the mbr from the image. I also restore the disk signature, and track 0. The other thing I do routinely is when I first get to the destination menu, I right click on the disk I am restoring to.(not ticking the box). I then select Delete the volume. This has the effect of leaving your disk unformatted with no partition.(you could recover with a partition recovery program)

I then right click again and select create an exact partition from the image. This recreates the partition from the image. I then tick the box and go on.

This isn't always necessary, but also doesn't hurt anything. I just do it out of habit since I sometimes do things that makes it necessary.

Pete

24. TerryWood

Hi Pete

Thanks Very much

Very useful

Terry

25. Peter2150

Your most welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.