Shadow Protect Desktop

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Ptah, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Can any current users or people who have trialed it give me any personal experiences with this program.

2. satchmo

satchmo Registered Member

I have used their IT Edition for several months to take images of server 2003 and xp machines hot for my clients. No install. Therefore, I don't have to worry about introducing something to a server environment. It is the only program on the market that can do that. Incidentally, it is licensed using a technician license, meaning a licensed technician can backup as many machines (servers and desktops) as he can personally touch. When they released the dekstop edition, I purchased it for myself and will recommend it to my clients. Fast, nice recovery environment and has everything you need.

An interesting fact, StorageCraft owns the driver that is used in LiveState Recovery, Ghost and others so the most critical component is well tested. Several of the founders are formerly from PowerQuest (the original makers of this type of software. Up until V2i Protector and Drive Image, disk images of system volumes could not be done hot. Their snapshot driver changed disk imaging, allowing for it to be done while the machine was running.)

Try the trial version see if you like it. But my two cents are, it is stable, fast and has the core features done right.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi,

Can you provide a website link where I can download the software - i.e. not a direct download link?

-- Tom

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

5. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

I have used FirstDefense in the past, is Shadow protect compariable?

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm trialling this program and I must say it did a complete back up of my drive(to an external drive) in 7 minutes, no hassles no difficult options to choose from and when I decided to browse the back up image it was available within seconds.

I can only compare to Symantec Ghost 9 and 2003, a complete waste of money as they have never worked properly on my system, and it would take ages to back up.

My only concern is the price, 69 $ is a bit steep, and considering I've already bought one of their applications a bit of a discount would certainly help.

On their website they talk about a recovery CD. Is that included in the price or one as to order it separately?

7. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

I just installed and ran my first full backup, it around 15 minutes. I also to a quick mount to test the volume, everything was there so round one of test is complete.

Does anyone know if it plays well with FirstDefense or any other system recovery software. From what I have read this program is in the imaging catagory not something you can just boot into.

8. satchmo

satchmo Registered Member

I don't know about FDISR, but I would guess that you could try ShadowUser, since they make that product.

9. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

I've taken a preliminary look at Shadow Protect Desktop trial version. I couldn't be certain from the help file if the Recovery CD was required for a restore of the O/S partition, the restore being initiated from the Windows environment. I would appreciate if someone could advise me. -Thanks

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Works beautifully with First Defense. I really like Shadow Protect. Fast and reliable.

11. Peter2150

Recovery CD is available for evaluation but you have to request it. When you purchase you download an ISO file, which you burn to CD. That both installs the desktop program, and is the recovery CD.

Pete

12. Peter2150

First Defense and Shadow Protect are two different things. Shadow Protect is a disk imaging program.

Note to all: I use Shadow Protect with FDISR and they work fine together, but I did have to switch FDISR back to RSS.

Pete

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how many gb's did you backup in that 7minutes?]
    lodore

14. Peter2150

I am backing up and restoring 24gb in a little under 7 minutes.

Pete

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

holy cow!
    lodore

16. Peter2150

I think you misunderstood, and I didn't say it clearly. That time is for each operation. It's still great, but yeah, not 7 for both

sorry for the confusion

Pete

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

7 minutes for 24gb? i gotta try this program myself.

18. Peter2150

Hi WSFuser

Yep it's great. Doesn't include verify, but still that time is doggone great.

Pete

19. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Shadow Protect is the fastest imaging program I have used (and I have used many), solid as a rock and the recovery CD works geat with all my hardware unlike TI which had poor USB 2.0 drivers. Have not had a problem with imaging and restoring.

Gary

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

cool
    do they do deals from changing from another product?
    cos im gonna try this program out on my old pc to see how it works.
    lodore

21. autokilo

autokilo Registered Member

22. autokilo

autokilo Registered Member

They did a promotion a month ago - not sure if it's still running, check their website - where you'd get i think 50% off the price if you were migrating from another imaging software.

If not, you could always drop them an email asking them. They've been courteous and responsive whenever I've dealt with them.

23. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Yeah, you need to boot the the ShadowProtect recovery environment CD if you wish to restore a backup image of your windows boot volume.

If you ever wish to verify your images, you can use the VerifyImage.cmd script to verify your image file. This functionality will be in the user interface in the next version (in 3.0). Also, CRC32 verify is always performed, transparently, during any restore. If a CRC32 check fails, you will receive an error.

24. Reposed

Reposed Registered Member

From what I remember, the trial version doesn't allow a restore from created boot cd. You have to request a full evaulation version and download the iso image (that is both the boot cd and installation cd) from their website to do a full restore from the boot cd.

25. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

That's correct. To obtain access to a downloadable .ISO image file for the recovery environment CD (based on Windows PE) you must submit an evaluation request using one of the following forms:

ShadowProtect Desktop Full Eval Form:

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/Desktopedevalrequest.asp

ShadowProtect Server Full Eval Form:

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectServer/Serveredevalrequest.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.