shadow protect and solid state drives

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Long View, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Placed an order for a 30gb OCZ Core V2 30GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive this morning- to arrive tomorrow.

I would like to use this as C: Xp and programs.

Has anyone used Show Protect or any other imaging software with SSD ?
    If I have an ordinary image of current C: and want to restore to the new C: do I have to do anything other than check HIR ?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Longview

I would assume you can treat that drive like any other. Just keep in mind the definition of assume.:D

Pete

3. Long View

Hi Peter

I have never tried HIR - Is that all you would do ? make an image of hard drive C: and then check HIR when you restore to another drive ?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

surely it would be reconized as a standard sata 2 drive and wouldnt need hir?

5. Long View

Have no idea. At the moment C: is a seagate ST3160815AS drive.
    everything else is to remain the same. So far Storagecraft have not been able to confirm or deny that it will work at all. I'm guessing that I will have to do sector images in any event - hence the small size of the drive.

6. Peter2150

I wouldn't think you'd need hir, unless it uses special drivers and even then. How big is your current drive.

Pete

7. Long View

drive is 160 gb but I have a system partition of 25 gb. I really only need an 8 gb SSD but this 30 gb was the cheapest I could find. may use it in a laptop eventually. main reason for buying is to see if it works. should be faster as C: keeping a WD hard drive for data. Also want to see if I can get it to work with whole drive encryption and imaging.

8. Peter2150

I'll be following with interest. Keep us posted.

Pete

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Longview,

This was discussed in August HERE and the then current SP couldnt backup flash.

Just did a backup test on a flash stick-success!.

So the current version of SP (3.3.0.16) obviously has been improved.

Looks like you are in luck!!

10. Long View

SSD arrived. I now have to get some brackets to hold it - far smaller then I have anticipated. good to here that SP now works with flash.

Overall good news so far.

SSD with brackets fits neatly into the place where a floppie would have gone. disconnected sata cable to C: and then found I could not get power to C: and D: so just ran the new C:
    Using an Old SP image and and checking HIP just in case I restored without issue. Although things seemed to work I think the fact that D: was no longer installed may have caused problems.

So Next I installed Win Xp SP3 slipstreamed and made an image in 32 sec 1.35 gb compressed to 850 mg restored in 42 seconds.

Previously I had been able to reboot in just over a minute. now it takes 40+ seconds.

so SP works -- some extra speed and no heat from the drive

SSD now set up in another pc. Shadow protect HIR worked fine. Unfortnately Windows is now complaining and wants to be re-activated.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.