Shadow Defender the same as Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by searaider, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. searaider

searaider Registered Member

Greetings, tell me, does shadow defender works like sandboxie? does both works in a similar way or if i have one i don't need the other? must say i do sensitive things on my computer, like banking and online shopping once in a while.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

they are different. sandboxie can virtualize individual programs, for example, your browser, so that when you reset the sandbox all changes regarding that program get wiped e.g. browsing history, cookies, any malware you may have picked up from the internet, etc. shadow defender virtualizes one or more partitions, so that all changes get wiped on reboot (or kept if you choose). i use both, but for online banking I think a good firewall and keylogger protection are more important.

3. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Yes they are different and I use them both also.

As already noted Shadow Defender is system wide virtualisation, Sandboxie per application.

The beauty of Sandboxie is the degree of granularity you can have. Among other things you can add:

• start/run restrictions that control what can run in each sandbox
    • internet access restrictions that allow you to control which programmes running in the sandbox can access the internet
    • full/read only and blocked access to files and folders
    • 'Drop rights' function to run programmes as standard user in Admin accounts
    Shadow Defender basically allows you to save files to the real system only.

In addition Sandboxie development is extremely active, there are big questions over Shadow Defenders current status let alone future.

Pop over to Sandboxing and Virtualization Forum here at Wilders https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98 for plenty of good advice on configurations for both.

Cheers

4. searaider

searaider Registered Member

You have mentioned keylogger protection, right now i'm using keyscrambler personal, it only works with browsers but is it enough? About firewall, as a matter a fact i'm behind 3 firewalls, first on my isp router, second on my wireless router (where my laptop is connected) witch is connected by cable to my isp router and third the kis firewall, do i need more firewalls?

5. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

No, you definitely do not need more firewalls. In fact, this would already be a genuine PITA to get some access from outside working in case it is needed for legit purposes, with 3 firewalls in place.

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

You do not need more firewalls. Personally, I'd only use one hardware firewall combined with one software firewall. But if it works for you, then I see no reason why you should bother switching hardware.

7. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Hi guys,

While I understand what is being said about the general differences between these two apps, from what's been said I'm left with one basic question:

Based on what I'm reading here (and like threads in this forum) SB is very configurable, actively developed and supported, whereas SD is none of the above. So why should someone who isn't yet a licensed SD user even consider it?

Seems to me that SB can provide all of the virtualized protection one really needs. :doubt:

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

SD is perfect to test software that don't need a reboot to install.
    yes, i could test and re-install an image after i'm done but using SD saves some times.

while it is perfectly feasible to use SD all day long as a security app i found it a little bit of a chore to commit stuff and come in and out of Shadow Mode as required.

9. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

moontan, thanks for your insight. So other than trying new software (which doesn't require a restart) do you agree with my sentiments?

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i would say so, yes.

SBie is rock solid, very stable and you will be served very well using it. :)

i bought a lifetime license and very glad to have done so, even though it is not part of my setup at this moment.

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree with moontan subject to one qualification.

If your system is a shared one, one advantage that light virtualisation programs such as Shadow Defender and Returnil have is that on reboot they will return the system to a known state, irrespective of what other users might have been doing.

I set up a new family PC a while ago for parents who wanted to lock down the system against misuse by their children. I configured Shadow Defender to always enter Shadow Mode on reboot and password protected it so that only the parents could unlock it for their own use.

If you are the only user of the system, or if the other users are all as security conscious as you and are disciplined enough to use Sandboxie when web browsing then yes, Sandboxie on its own should be enough virtualisation.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Sanboxie (Free or Paid)
    (+)
    Shadow Defender (Paid) OR Returnil (Free or Paid)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.