Shadow Defender or Sandboxie: If we choose

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ocsi, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

Shadow Defender or Sandboxie: If we choose. If you have to choose between the two products? W?hich is the choice (If you must choose one of them)?

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if i had one to chose...
    that's a tough one.

i think i'd go with SD because it "sandboxes" the whole computer instead of a selected app.

the only thing is that you have to set-up exclusions files/folders and/or remember to commit.
    SBie has its inconveniences as well.

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I have lifetime licenses for both Shadow Defender and Sandboxie, currently I'm running Shadow Defender without Sandboxie.
    But when I do occasionally change my setup and add Sandboxie I also run Shadow Defender alongside. Sense purchasing SD a few years ago it's been a part of my permanent setup and running in shadowmode 99% of the time.

4. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Why not both?

I am a happy user of Shadow Defender (Shadow Mode on all the time) and Sandboxie, maximum security!

5. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

Why both? Because they do the same thing! Or ... almost dries!
    Why Firewall if not change the registry? Combine: Avast!6 Free + Windows Firewall XP SP3 (Router firewall set: WPA2-PSK) + Malwarebytes on- demand scan it is OK?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  6. moontan

unfortunately all those security apps have idiosyncrasies that you have to deal with.
    it's the ever present conflict between security and conveniences.

some people have different levels of tolerance for this stuff...
    mine is pretty low. ;)

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Not necessarily. SD has two options when setting up exclusions. One is commit now which you do have to remember to commit to the real disk before rebooting to save your work or changes. If you do not click the apply changes button before rebooting then all your work will be lost. There is no prompt to remind you to commit the changes before shutting down or rebooting. This is the one that moontan has already mentioned. The other is place the file or path in the exclusion list which will automatically save your work or changes without having to remember to commit them to the real disk. It just exempts that patch from being ran in Shadow Mode. I use this option for my bookmarks, and the folder I use for downloading from the net. It works great for me.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

You could just use both. If your set on just using one then I would say SD. Its protection is unsurpassed!

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sandboxie, because it includes restrictions which makes it more secure, and is in active development.

10. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Sandboxie is more suitable for me, its strong, highly costumizable, and very active in development.
    As I replace SD with imaging app

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I agree. Sandboxie on its own is more than enough in terms of security even against key loggers to a certain extent. I do like them both, but I use SD only for specific situations nowadays. I hate to think what would happen if Tzuk stopped developing SB, it is the kind of program that needs constant attention from its developer.

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If I had to choose one, it would be Sandboxie.

Both are very good, so the decision must be based on the users scenario, not which is better than the other (besides, they aren't the exact same thing, so you can't compare them like that).

I can do more with Sandboxie. Flexibility trumps reboot to clean system for me.

Sul.

13. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Discovering, realizing very quickly how good it is and choosing to use
    SBIE has been a blessing for me. Using SBIE has changed my internet
    experience, making it better, safer and more enjoyable than it was
    before I started using it.
    For this reasons, choosing SBIE over SD is easy for me. There is a
    before and after Sandboxie on my book.

I don't use Shadow Defender but I know its a great program and if I had it
    on my machine, I would use it for trying programs. That is the purpose that
    I see that kind of program perfect for IF you are a SBIE user. I have Time
    Freeze and that's how I use TF.

Bo

14. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Nicely summarised. I use both SBIE and SD but SD for me is only a convenience. I can always restore the system from an image if necessary.

15. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I use both system wide virtualization as well as application virtualization. Sandboxie is preferred application as it can be configured to sandbox/protect vulnerable applications only (like browsers, PDF reader, office, multimedia players, etc.) while rest of system works as normal. If I have to choose system wide protection, I will prefer Deep Freeze to Shadow Defender due to active development and support.

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

On a Laptop, I use Both of them...
    If I had to use ONLY one,
    I would have chosen Shadow Defender.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  17. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

They are different. This is not an 'apples for apples' choice. Both are great but SBIE for me every time if forced to choose. Reasons:

Active, committed developer
    Superb support via the SBIE forum and here
    Choose what to virtualise rather than what not to
    Empty Sandbox on demand/close rather than re-boot
    Choose not to empty if required supporting testing over multiple reboots
    Drop-rights
    Start/Run Restrictions
    Internet Access Retrictions
    File Access Restrictions
    Registry Access Restrictions
    Built in templates to improve compatibility where required
    SBIE can be used to prevent infection, SD merely removes it on reboot

If find SD convienient if I'm trying new apps that don't need a reboot and comforting if surfing on the dark side but find SBIE essential. If properly configured SBIE need be the only third party app you use, I think most would agree you require something else to prevent infection with SD during virtual sessions rather than just removing stuff at reboot.

Given you don't actually have to choose you can use both succesfully if you use SBIE to restrict and SD to reset the system at boot.

Cheers

18. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

If I had to choose, and I actually have chosen already, it would be Sandboxie. Two big reasons: Sandboxie is actively developed, and it only affects certain programs. I don't like to virtualize my whole computer when only internet-facing programs need it.

19. ExtremeGamerBR

Well, I do not care one whit in using them together, in fact like the idea of ​​all back when I restart my laptop, I think they complement each other.

Also because antivirus constantly fail, because SB + SD are extremely reliable, especially when they form double! :thumb:

20. moontan

they're both great apps really!

these days i mainly use SD as a souped-up uninstaller or to test something potentially dangerous.
    it's not as important for me to much anymore because i can restore an image in less than 4 minutes.

but as a front-line defense, SBie is top notch. :)
    i bought the lifetime license which is a heck of a deal!

21. ExtremeGamerBR

My lifetime is also worth every cent!

22. roady

roady Registered Member

Also have a license for both,but if I only could have 1,it would be SandBoxie....it's much easier to play around with your system with SBie installed,than with SD installed....software updates,installing new programs....by every move you make you have to remember to check SD's settings,or you can start all over again....:D
    And yes,you can exclude folders or apps from SD's virtual shield,but what's the point of virtualization if certain directories are still accessible because the user wants to make critical (or other) updates more convenient......

23. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

I use neither, they both suck! :p
    If i had to chose one it would be Shadow Defender, only for testing software, not realtime

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

And why do you say that?

25. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

The other magnificent posters have said it all.
    A complete thread`s worth of excellent comments and exactly what one would expect from Wilder`s.

I have no idea at all about Shadow Defender, but the posts here all praise it`s performance.

My security is in the hands of SBxie and has been for about 12 months.
    I have had no trouble of any consequence, perhaps a few compatibility problems with other programs, but nothing I could not handle.

In all the time I have used SBxie, I have not had a single infection on my PC. Every time in the many AV and AM scans I have carried out, the result is clean. My sandbox is auto emptied on browser closure.

I cannot answer the actual thread question, but my experience is given to support SBxie. Some of the benefits that SD has may well provide excellent service to those who dig deeper than I into PC and Internet contortions.

I am no geek, but have wandered all over the web time and again, thick and thin, good and bad, the VERY bad and come out of the Valley of Death without a scratch.

John

PS - A good thread this. Should have included Returnil to complete the set. I hope many more posts are made on this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.