Shadow Defender alternative ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Ech0, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply, but I cannmot use VB as I don't have a proper W7 DVD, I only have HP Restore W7 DVDs.

By the way, what your thoughts about this? Seems a bit suspicious?

http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-time-freeze

2. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

I may be missing something here, but I don't see the problem. o_O

I don't see anything suspicious, but insofar as always being able to do what you requested, I don't see that it has any advantage over Returnil (can't install apps requiring a reboot).

Scott

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Scott, I want to use Windows 7, but have a security setup so if I want to install new program or drivers, that I can revert back if something goes wrong and messes up my W7. How will using Virtual Box help that, especially seeing I am unable to install W7 into VB. If a program and driver installs OK then I want to keep the changes. Using VB won't do what I need.

And that free version of Returnil cannot revert or rollback or restore my system to an earlier time if a program or driver messes up my system, understand now? I would need the paid version to work as I need.

Looking for a FREE alternative, know any?

4. Scott W

First of all, I've never had VBox mess up my system. That said, systems can get messed up for a number of reasons so you should develop a habit of making regular image backups. Win7's utility is safe and capable of doing that (or there a number of alternative disk-imagers).

Scott

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Scott, I cannot make backup images because Macrium, nor Paragon nor EaseUS can RESTORE Dynamic volumes/drives, hence, why I am looking for a free Returnil or Shadow Defender alternative.

W7 backup program says that it cannot work with my Dynamic drives, so I cannot use the W7 backing up program either :(

Secondly, I didn't say VB will mess up my system, I said I cannot use VB because I cannot install W7 into VB as I don't have the full proper W7 DVD.s. Besides, it's no good for my situation as I want to use my normal W7 system and keep any changes made that installed OK, but rollback W7 if any program or driver installed badly.

6. topguynow

topguynow Registered Member

Does anyone have a link to purchase a previous version of Shadow Defender? Perhaps the last two before the current version? I am looking for previous releases due to the controversy over the most recent version...However, is it actually a legitimate concern?

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

If you buy Shadow Defender, do you just pay one price and can then use it forever and get free updates? or is it like Returnil which you have to pay for every single year over and over?:cautious:

8. Scott W

Download links for older versions:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1704180&postcount=12

You can't purchase the old versions, but I believe a new license key will work with old versions.

Most "loyalists" question the current website and version (2011.3.31), but some who are using 3.31 say it works just fine.

Scott

9. topguynow

topguynow Registered Member

Thanks Scott W. Do you experience with any particular versions? Also, I suppose I simply download the version of choice form your link and use the license key I got with the new purchase?

10. Scott W

Nearly 2 years ago I ran SD (v3.25) for several months, but about a year ago I decided to try RollBack Rx. I found RB suited my computing needs much better than SD so I switched and haven't looked back. I've been told that SD license keys work with all versions but I don't know that for sure. Btw, if you would like my old SD license key send me a pm. ;)

Scott

11. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Just because "some who are using 3.31 say it works just fine" doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good thing to pursue...I am the ex mod from Shadow Defender forum and it doesn't look like the legitimate owner of the site or forum is in control now. Since the new version the broken forum has not been repaired and there seems to be no contact or communication with the usership and therefore no valid support. It could well be that the site is hacked and software cracked after it was known that Tony was missing, maybe just to make profit. Tony used to post on Wilders and I'm sure that if he noticed all the confusion and debate here he would have been in touch. There has been nothing to show that the site is legitimate so I would be very careful; short term "solutions" is not what this is about. A good security software needs to validated by it's maker/developer and support be given to those who purchased it and who may want to follow it's progress into further versions/upgrades.You cannot depend on someone who you have no experience of and who is permenantly absent and closed to communication.
    Look at the development of Sandboxie and you will see a good model of the best sort of relationship between developer and usership. A developer who is constantly open to comment, suggestion, user input and is always "present".

12. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Do you have any tangible facts to back up what you just stated? Have you tested SD 1.0.331 and are 100% and absolutely sure it's forged, or contains rootkits, spyware, or any kind of concealed mysterious software attached?

Because SD forums were closed and the former mods/members can no longer access the forum or the software developer went kaput does not necessarily mean that that software is evil as hell and should not be touched with a 20 feet pole.

All this looks like a conspiracy theory. It's like saying that man never landed on the moon or that a rapper named 2Pac is still alive and well.

Unless it can be proven beyond any reasonable doubt that SD 1.0.331 is a fake, all I see here is some disgruntled people spreading misinformation and frightening other people unnecessarily to keep them away from sponsoring that software.

Then, why reputable sites like Softpedia, Cnet, et. al host this file and even link to shadowdefender.com ? Even WOT [Web of Trust] doesn't flag that site as malicious. I'd rather distrust companies like Iobit because I know 100% beyond any reasonable doubt what they did to MBAM and even so Majorgeeks hosts Iobit programs for download. :eek:

You may have your reasons for doubts because there was not changelog for version .331 but, how may newer versions of many software out there are released and their developers don't even bother to post a changelog and even so people still download them?

I'm not by any means affiliated to the site that distributes SD and have no gain in this dispute. I'm new to SD and when all this .331 argument started and I wasn't even aware of the existence of SD but, all this old and long discussion is getting lame and tiresome. I got version 1.0.325 from Mediafire and I cannot even say with a 100% confidence that this version/installer is legitimate, can I? Windows 7 UAC behaves the same for .325 and .331 naming SD as Unsigned Application that wants to make changes to the computer when you try to run the program...why's that?

I think because we are a tad different from the average John Doe computer user [we're members of a security forum, right?], that makes us a little bit paranoids.

Thanks.

13. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Can I just ask the question on open forum? Has anyone (including new purchasers of 1.1.0.331) had any communication with the Shadow Defender developer recently (old, new, whatever)? I've not heard of anyone but I'd be interested to know what people think.
    I'm not trying to keep anything "hot" or promote conspiracy theories but I like to mention occasionally when people start talking about the latest version in the same vein as previous versions that there has been a schism in the usership relationship with the legitimate developer and that security software is not just about the download and whether it works or not.

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I had to do a restore, but I only have W7 restore. But it leaves the old programs folders in C:/Program Files.

So I guess that's why people use SD or Returnil? Do they backup the entire Program Files folder as well and not just the registry and some dll and driver files like W7 create restore point does?

15. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Since SD is not widely known to the general public [average John Doe computer user] beyond Wilders Security.

Therefore, I have to acknowledge that whether you're right or wrong about the “infamous” SD version .331, you definitely succeeded in one thing: spreading fear among users who frequent this forum and discouraging people from even touching that .331 version.

Best regards,

Carlos

16. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Have you ever trialed Rollback Rx? I did. My trial ended about 3 days ago and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a copy. It works better than SD in my opinion.

17. Scott W

Hi sdmod,

Please understand that i wasn't endorsing the new version or their website. I was merely stating what I have read by some users within various threads in this forum. Other than my experience running v3.25 for nearly a year, I can't speak to any other version with any personal knowledge.

Fwiw, I do understand (and share) your confusion about the developer's strange disappearance as well as your suspicion surrounding the new version. :doubt:

Scott

18. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

May be that the latest version of SD is "goodware". May also be that the lack of a changelog is no reason to worry.

But it is more than strange that the developer of the software (and owner of the site) disappeared completely and that the new administrators/owners (?) of the program and the website neither explained anything about the fundamental changes that obviously have taken place nor they seem to be willing to communicate with their customers. (I write "seem" because I cannot state it from personal experience but from what have written other people here.)

A reliable (possibility for) communication with the developer/seller of software is essential for me to trust it - especially in case of a security software!

How would you explain the silence and the "hiding" on the part of the (new) people behind Shadow Defender?

So I think that sdmod's (and other member's) reservations, doubts and even warnings are well-founded and useful to read - especially for people who visit this forum as SD-newcomers who do not know the history of this software. Finally anyone can decide by himself if he will trust the newer version or not - but he should be informed about all pros and cons.

19. Scott W

As someone who has used both SD and RB I can say from personal knowledge of the two that they are completely different technologies. It's not fair to say that one works better than the other, it's more a matter of which technology best fits your computing needs. RB turned out to be a better fit for me, but that's what trials for... ;)

Scott

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'll have to say something about comparisons between Rollback Rx and SD. They are not really in the same category, one is a light virtualizer (SD) the other is ISR. The results are somewhat similar, but their function is different: SD returns the system to its original settings within a reboot.
    Rollback Rx creates multiple snapshots of the system making it ideal to test new applications.
    SD is practically maintenance free, with Rollback Rx after a certain period, the hard disk needs some maintenance (this is the opinion of many users of it). Imaging with Rollback Rx is time consuming as the whole disk (even free space) must be backed up or the alternative is to uninstall Rollback, image the system, re-install Rollback.

I have been tempted to buy Rollback, but I haven't decided yet as my imaging system (ShadowProtect) can be used in a similar fashion as Rollback Rx (granted it takes a bit longer to restore).

Last but not least, SD is still unbeaten by malware, Rollback from memory has the MBR unprotected (although I think that it is very safe against most malware).

21. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

But does Rollback RX restore C:/Program Files folder?

22. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I know that. I've tested both software [and Deep Freeze too which behaves mostly like SD] and know they work differently. Whereas SD in “shadow mode” save the contents of your HDD to a virtual drive and any changes that require a reboot are discarded, RB Rx saves the changes [named snapshots] to the physical drive on a hidden partition so you can restore your PC to an earlier snapshot, somewhat similar to Windows System Restore but not identical. The only disadvantage I see on RB Rx is that if your HDD becomes heavily fragmented with the usage you cannot use a third party defragmenter and that if there is a hardware failure [e.g. HDD crash], everything dies with the drive unless you had previously made an image using whatever software you'd use to accomplish this [e.g. Acronis True Image] and saved it to a removable media [as I always do].

Anyway, I was trying to help the user who asked that question cause it looks he's kind of disoriented about what imaging solution would work best for him.

Regards,

EDIT: Thanks so much Osaban for weighing in regarding to how these two software work.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  23. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Yes, it does. The only thing about RB Rx is that one license for just one PC costs as much as an Internet Security suite for three PCs ;) [$69.00 + on top of that, you also have to activate the software like you'd do for MS Office]

Thanks.

24. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

RB Rx is too expensive IMO so I won't be buying it. They wanted me to pay extra for future upgrades as well.

25. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

You're completely right. SD has proven to be unbeaten by malware/rootkits that hide at MBR level. Although, I think that this RB Rx shortcoming could be compensated by installing a software to protect the MBR such as AppGuard.

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.