Shadow Defender 1.1.0.258 and other minor change releases

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by pidbo, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

To me, it is still the best product for 2008, and we still have 6 months to go. I think the next 6 months will be interesting, especially at the pace he is working.

Moral: Piss someone off, and you just never know how fruitful they can become. LMAO

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

v1.1.0.264 conflicts with MapleStory game, get disconnected with message saying "due to attempting to hack, etc":mad:

Uninstalled this version and revert back to v1.1.0.259 which is working well with MapleStory. No more disconnects, hacking messages, etc.:p

3. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

i had another bug and reported it to tony
    nanana1 , have u reported this bug to tony ?

4. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Version 1.1.0.265 - July 7, 2008

» Shadow Defender V1.1 Change History

Version 1.1.0.265 - July 7, 2008
    Fix: Force Shadow Defender not to run as a limited user.
    Fix: the installation will not be finished correctly if enter shadow mode immediately after installing softwares.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

New build again ? I just updated to 264 couple days ago.

The fashion SD is taking to update itself looks like beta version evolutions.

By the way, I learn from other forum that all SD versions released up to this date are ALL betas, is this true ?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would say no, as there were several intermediate builds that weren't released. those I'd call betas.

As to the fashion the updates are taking. Are we saying that it's bad to immediately fix bugs and do a release. Not sure that makes sense. Certainly preferable then to say ProSecurity.

Pete

7. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

I must admit that I like this progression by tiny increments and the involvment that allows. It gives the opportunity to feedback as it grows and develops. It doesn't seem like beta software where maybe parts are missing and you don't have a fully working software sometimes. I like this "finger on the pulse" approach.

8. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

As a SD newbie on the 30 day trial, can the new builds be installed over the top or is it an un-install / new install job?

Ian

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Real SD-users might give you a different answer, but I would never install a new version of SD over an older version of SD, not with this type of software. So I would uninstall the older version first and then install the new version.

10. Peter2150

Totally Agree. That's what I do with SD

11. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

I agree...complete removal and fresh install for me.

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

v1.1.0.265 installed okay and working well for me now:D

13. ErikAlbert

I have a few questions regarding SD. I have two internal harddisks :
    1. System Partition[C:] = Windows + Application + SD
    2. Data Partition[D:] = documents, spreadsheets, emails, etc.

I noticed that SD handles more than one partition. I know how it works for [C:], what about [D:] ?

If [D:] is frozen :
    I assume I can change anything in [D:], but all changes are gone after reboot ?
    If a virus infects my data files, all infections are gone after reboot ?
    If a virus would try to destroy [D:], something like killdisk, will it succeed ?

Do I have to reboot to change [D:] from "frozen mode" to "normal mode" or can I do this without reboot ?
    Do I have to reboot to change [D:] from "normal mode" to "frozen mode" or can I do this without reboot ?
    After all [D:] is not a system partition.

14. Peter2150

SD works on D: just like on C: I have my d: protected and changes are wiped out on it the same way. Only thing I do is exclude my vm data directory since it is almost 60gB.

I don't know if you can unshadow D: with out a reboot. Reading the help file it may be possible. I've never tried.

Pete

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I would very much doubt it. All unshadowing with SD will require a reboot.:cool:

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Wrong. Only the system partition requires a reboot. All the others can enter and exit shadow mode on the fly. No reboot is needed. :thumb:

I had requested this feature from Tony back on settember and was extremely happy when it was implemented. :D
    It can be very usefull if you shadow your external usb harddisk and then you want to unplug it without rebooting.

Panagiotis

17. pandlouk

Yes, everything is gone. Even the fragmentation that occurred during that session.
    Yes.
    Maybe. SD protects from some types of malicious tools. And Tony is doing a great work to keep the program updated.

No, you don't. You can freeze/unfreeze no system partitions on the fly.:thumb:

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

WOW !....didn't realise it. Happy to be corrected, that's one step closer to exit shadowmode without reboot.

Sir EricAlbert find it interesting to protect his data drive, enter and exit shadowmode on the fly:cool: provided he truly wish it:p

19. ErikAlbert

Pandlouk,
    I changed my data on [D:] in "normal mode".
    If I go from "normal mode" to "frozen mode" in [D:] without reboot, I assume changes are done and all changes after frozen mode are gone ?

I changed my data on [D:] in "frozen mode".
    If I go from "frozen mode" to "normal mode" in [D:] without reboot, I assume changes are done and all changes after normal mode are done ?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  20. pandlouk

Actually you have the freedom to choose if you want to retain the changes or to discard them all. ;)

Take a look at the attached images.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      86.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      76.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  21. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Panagiotis, that is good news, I didn't know about that function.

22. pandlouk

Hehe,
    You will love this ability.

ps. I edited my previous post for modifying the images. Pay attention at the partition [D:]. It is where I have my temp folder and this is the reason I had to select force dismount volume. And all was done as I was navigating in the wilders forum. :D

Panagiotis

23. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

Could you explain what this means.
    If i check (or uncheck) this option when deactivating shadow mode in C: (System partition), what´s the difference??

24. ErikAlbert

Pandlouk,
    Thanks for the explanation. I always seem to forget that "commit"-function in SD and Returnil. (not available in FDISR) :)

25. Firephoenix

Firephoenix Registered Member

Hi, I have been using SD 1.0.0.130 with no problem.

When I tried to upgrade to SD 1.1.0.248 or later versions, there were numerous Application popups during startup ( Windows - No Disk : There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR4, etc). Cancelling the popups enabled loading into windows. It seems to be related to USB ports when no USB is inserted.

The highest version upgraded without the above problem is 1.1.0.246. Has anyone come across such problem and how to solve it ?

My computer is Compaq Presario Desktop PC, installed with windows xp home sp3, outpost firewall pro 2009, avast 4.8 pro, power shadow 2.8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.