SG Downlod protection disabled

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by gdot, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdot

gdot Registered Member

My SpywarGuard download protection disables itself automatically o_O

I was unable to "reproduce" or to link this to any specific activity. Merely, I double-click the SG icon on the tray and the protection (able, for sure the last time I opened) is disabled.

Any guesses?

Abçs.
    g.

Guilherme R Basilio
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

3. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

I had a very similar problem, which I suspected had something to do with Real Download (it had crashed while dowloading a large file, and after that I noticed a number of seemingly unrelated problems with my PC - Ad-Aware caught a virus-like entry in the registry which I let it fix immediately, CPU usage reached over 30% without anything being active except the normal system processes, which normally took less than 5-8%, and of course SpywareGuard Download Protection was mysteriously disabled).

Everything got miraculously fixed when I uninstalled Real Download (and replaced it with Download Expert) and after uninstalling SpywareGuard (I had done a minimal install of SpywareGuard 2.2 over the older version) I downloaded the full installation package and did a fresh install of SpywareGuard 2.2.

Now I dare say that everything works like a dream again. :)

Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling SpywareGuard will help you too. But remember to disable it before uninstalling.

Cheers,
    BS

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi BlackSwan,

Could you elaborate on what "virus-like" entry you had AdAware fix.
    Read this to see if you would like to use the backup: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=12156&st=0#entry95420

Regards,

Pieter

5. gdot

gdot Registered Member

Thanks & Sorry: should have checked archives first.

Just registered service DLPROTECTC.DLL as directed. Still waiting... but I trully believe I'll wait for ever: silly of me not to have noticed dwnld mgrs might interfere.

Well, that's what friends are for: to reminf us of the obvious :doubt:

6. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Yes, Pieter, thanks for directing me to the relevant thread in Lavasoft Forums. I don't remember exactly what AAW caught, but it must have been similar to the one described there (I'm copying from the LS forum):

I didn't really notice anything going wrong after having AAW fix this entry. Funny thing is, just yesterday my sister had exactly the same problem with Real Download crashing during download, her PC slowing down due to unreasonable CPU consumption and AAW detecting the above alteration in her registry. She had AAW fix the entry, uninstalled RD and her PC is apparently just fine now. She's not running SpywareGuard, though (I'm trying to convince her she should).

Thanks for the advice anyway. :)
    BS

7. gdot

gdot Registered Member

Houston we have a problem... SG dwnld prot was found disabled again. Out-of-office day yesterday, only quick email check, no downloads, no installs...

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You'll need to describe the circumstances and your PC setup in order for us to try to figure this out...

First, what OS are you running and what are your core applications? Also, from what you wrote above, are you using a download manager (meaning, is one even installed)? If so, what is it?

As to the specific circumstances... Was the PC running all that time or was it off and SG was disabled only after booting (rebooting)?

It's probably a matter of figuring out what is conflicting with the download protection, perhaps software that is over-riding it.

9. gdot

gdot Registered Member

LowWaterMark at October 10, 2003, 06:26:21 PM

You'll need to describe the circumstances and your PC setup in order for us to try to figure this out...

First, what OS are you running and what are your core applications? Also, from what you wrote above, are you using a download manager (meaning, is one even installed)? If so, what is it?

- Win 2k SP4, patched to the latest patch.
    - MS Office
    - Get right (enabled full time), FlashGet (used when the dwnld site demands it), WSFTP
    - Main browser: IE6.
    - Opera and Mozilla seldom used for testing pourposes
    - Eudora Pro 6 (Outlook Express is there, never uninstalled, never used)
    - SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard

As to the specific circumstances... Was the PC running all that time or was it off and SG was disabled only after booting (rebooting)?
    It's probably a matter of figuring out what is conflicting with the download protection, perhaps software that is over-riding it.

That's the point. I've been unable to figure and, although alert over the last few days, I wasn't able to catch anything bloodhanded ;).

Booting/rebooting... any (sometimes the three at the same time) dwnld/ftp manager... navigating... email, nor any other traffic whatsoever...

Nothing seems "guilty"; it's just there: I open SG for checking pourposes and dwnld protection is found unchecked sometimes.

Still looking for the elementary, dear Watson. No doubt it's elementary, unhidden, just watching me all the time...

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

This is a rather strange problem.

I've been unable to duplicate it on any of my test systems and, as you said, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it suddenly becomes disabled. :doubt:

My only question would be: Would you mind trying to completely disable any and all download managers you have installed? Then, could you see if the problem reoccurs? Thanks in advance. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. gdot

gdot Registered Member

I'm used to "rather strange" problems and other poltergeists...

No pattern at all -- and I'm very careful at checking for inconsistencies. Which means nothing, indeed: most usually the pattern is right there, visible and obvious all the time. :mad:

There's only one "full time" dwnld mgr -- GetRight.

WSFTP is used for transfers and closed (and is not, properly, a dwnld mgr) and FlashGet is always disabled; I only use it because certain dwnld sites demand FlashGet.

Will uninstall (and fully un-register) and re-install one by one, then repeat in pairs to see what happens.

Back in a couple of days.

12. gdot

gdot Registered Member

Re:SG Download protection disabled

Back... in a couple of days.

Quite difficult to get to a pattern, but I think I got it: apparently, SG dwnld protection is disabled after rebooting after a download using FlashGet.

The sequence is:

- SG dwnld prot enabled

- Dwnld with FlashGet

- SG dwnld prot remains enabled

- Boot (a day or so later)

- SG dwnld protection now disabled

13. gdot

gdot Registered Member

Pattern above now confirmed to exhaustion.

- Download with Flash get (or merely running it)

- Reboot

- SG dwnld protection disabled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.