sfc.exe

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TomAZ, Oct 26, 2014.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Does sfc.exe work with both Windows XP and Win 7? If so, do you use it the same way on both OS versions?

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You use it the same way on both operating systems, but on XP, sometimes it will ask you to insert your XP CD. There are instruction here for XP users detailing how to have sfc load any neeed files from your hard drive, so you don't get prompted for the Windows CD.

On Vista and later operating systems, you are never asked for your Windows DVD.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

My - remote - experiences with sfc.exe were negative: it works restoring the system to the initial configuration and it sometimes make conflict with third part softwares that you installed. Don't ask me which softwares: unlucky I don't remember.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I never experienced any problems as a result of running sfc. But, on the otherhand it usually hasn't fixed problems either. It does not restore your system to the original configuaration. What is does is scan for and replace missing or corrupted system files.

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

If you suspect system corruption due to malware, for higher assurance that malware doesn't interfere with sfc, it can be run offline.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.