Several Problems with new install of Process Guard

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by frogfoot, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

Hi,
    Yesterday I installed Process guard (full version) on my PC after several sweeps with online AV's, as well as my upto date version of Sophos AV, and several Trojan killers including TDS3(full), also spyware was removed using ADaware, Xcleaner,Spybot Search and destroy, Spywareguard, Spywareblaster etc however this is when the problems started.

1) When I shut down Process guard prompts for verification to close TDS3, (TDS3 has close msg handling enabled), about twenty times! Is it possible to give the 'closedown' service permission to override close msg handeling?

2) my Wacom tablet (mouse replacement) does not work if I have Global hooks disabled in the general protection options, but no errors or blocks are displayed in the log.

3) I logged in one time and Outpost firewall informed me that I had used fast user switching to change accounts and I could not access the firewall interface.

4) TDS3 will not auto start unless I remove the 'autostart' checkbox and add a reference to the 'Startup' program menu. It just hangs when loading Radius

I currently have the last three global settings enabled in process guard and the settings in the attached jpg.

I would realy apreciate some help
    Thanks
    Tom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  2. frogfoot

No one able to offer any help :'(

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Woops! we must have missed your post!
    1) When I shut down Process guard prompts for verification to close TDS3, (TDS3 has close msg handling enabled), about twenty times! Is it possible to give the 'closedown' service permission to override close msg handeling?
    You can click "OK to all" You may also get the HID when you shutdown your PC but you need not take any action as End Session will close your PC anyway.
    Are you sure that all the necessary Wacom .exe's are ont he protection list?
    Process Guard GUI will only be available to the first user that logs on, this is a windows bug so I guess Outpost suffers the same problem.
    It is not reccommended to start TDS3 automatically under XP due to the time it takes for the initial scans which can upset other programs. Process Guard will protect you much earlier. Better to start TDS3 it manually after other aurostart programs have loaded.
    TDS4 will address this probelm.

Sorry for the delay - Pilli

4. frogfoot

Sorry, but where is the "OK to all" button in PG's close down verification window?

Is it possible to give one of the Windows processes (the one which handles shutting down Windows) permission to close protected apps? as it is can cause corruption of Outpost logs and settings if the process does not end gracefully.

Yes, there is only one Wacom EXE that starts(TABUSERW.EXE), and I have given it all privs, I have also given the Tablet.exe (in system32) which also loads at startup all privs but the tablet still doesnt work. This problem only happens when Global Hooks are dissalowed. PG shows no errors or warnings in the log file, which makes configuring this realy hard.
    The Event Viewer shows that the 'The TabletService service terminated unexpectedly' and 'The TabletService service hung on starting.' on one or two occasions, but not consistently.

****THIS BIT IS INPORTANT****
    I noted another problem today, when shutting down a program protected with Close message handling, if you press 'cancel' in the 'Human Confimation Required' box the program shuts down! without me typing in the sequence of letters, sometimes it will re-prompt with a different sequence but repeated presses will always shut down the program. This seems to compleatly defeat the point of CMH as a Trojan could simulate this quite easily. Is this problem specific to my setup or is it repeatable on other machines? I would expect the 'Cancel' button to close the HCR window and leave the process running.

Thanks for the help by the way :)
    Tom

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Again frogfoot,
    No there is no close down all, if you have CMH enabled some prgrams will show an HID as windows tries to close down, then you can enter the code and say OK to all (for each individual program) - If you get time.
    Regarding OP2 I have no problems closing down Windows 2003 with CMH on Outpost.

Close Meassage Handling is still quite experimental so it can sometimes do strange things but Jason is aware of these problems, I am not sure if the next version will address these.

I do know that the Global hook problems are being addressed as are many other minor bugs.

We hope to be beta testing the next version later this week.

It may be as well to disable the General - Block global hooks on your system for now. You still have very strong protection from Process Guard without it. Not ideal but hopefully the new version will cure your problem.

HTH Pilli

6. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Hi Pilli,

Now I've got Wormguard I feel MUCH, MUCH SAFER. I wish I could use PG but I had problems with the user switching. Even logging off and then back on again to the same account caused the options on the pop up to disappear leaving me without any options to click on when a new application ran. Is this being fixed because I paid for it and really am keen to use it??

The blanked out tabs has been reported on other threads so it is not only me. Having this option work would make it worth installing but it does seem to get buggy sometimes. I have a new PC and even have 2 new drives but it always was buggy no matter which hardware configuration I had.

Also, do you know when there is a new version of PG coming - soon??

Thanks for your help always.

Regards

Dave

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Worldcitizen, SP2 will probably put the fast user switching errors right as there are known issues within XP, we are beta testing PG at the moment and there are many changes - Should not be too long now ;)

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Wont be any problems anymore switching users

I would suggest you unblock Global Hooks until the next version if experiencing any configuration issues. First make sure all processes which need to install hooks are added and given that right, but otherwise disable this protection and wait for the new version :)

9. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I'm getting excited because hopefully I'll be able to use PG when the new version comes out.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.