Several Important Questions about Truecrypt Hidden Operating Systems

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by DesuMaiden, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Oh gods of Truecrypt, please help me!

I originally wasn't planning to create a Hidden Operating System (I just wanted to use Full-Disk Encryption) but I accidentally created one. Once I realized that I was creating a Hidden OS, I also realized that I cannot finish my Hidden OS procedure without fulfilling several important requirements. These requirements are the following:

1) How do I check which kind of Hash Algorithm my Truecrypt Hidden OS is using? That's because I want to make sure my Decoy OS is encrypted by the same Hash Algorithm as the Hidden OS. Otherwise, the Decoy OS will have a different bootloader than the Hidden OS thus rendering the Hidden OS unbootable. The Decoy and Hidden OS need to use same bootloader with the same Hash Algorithm. On the Truecrypt window, I right clicked on my Hidden system partition (which is the in C drive) and then left clicked on TrueCrypt Volume Properties. Is that where I can find my hidden OS's Hash algorithm?

I suspect the following

Property
    PKCS-5PF

and

Value:
    HMAC-RIPEMD-160

might be my Hash Algorithm. Is this correct?

2) How do I check if my Outer Volume is NOT formatted in NTFS format? I need to make sure the outer volume is NOT formatted in NTFS. NTFS formatted Outer volumes require the partition for the Hidden OS partition to be at least 2.1 times larger than the system partition. According to truecrypt, my Hidden system partition is ~235 GB (after the cloning my original OS to the D drive). My D drive (where my Hidden OS now resides) was 380 gb according to My Computer (before I started creating the Hidden OS). What size should my Decoy OS's partition be? Btw my computer's harddrive is 600 gb.

Do I need to use partitioning software to finish creating my Hidden OS?

Or I just need to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on my C drive and encrypt it with the same Encryption and Hash Algorithm as my Hidden OS? Do I have to make sure the Windows 7 I use for my Decoy OS takes up the exact same harddrive space as my Hidden OS partition which is 235 gb?

3) Do I need to install the same version of Windows 7 for my Decoy OS as my Hidden OS? So if I use Windows 7 Office Edition for my Hidden OS, then I must use Windows 7 Office Edition for my Decoy OS. Is this correct?

4) Does anyone have step by step instructions for installing a torrented version of Windows 7?

Greatly appreciate help from more knowledgeable members of this forum. I don't like leaving anything half-done. Initially, I didn't want to create a hidden OS, but I might as well finish creating the Hidden OS.

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I assume you can get into the Hidden OS part, correct? I also assume you've made a Rescue.iso and saved it somewhere else or burned a CD, Correct?

You should be able to tell the Hash Algorithm by opening the TC GUI, when in the Hidden OS, and it should give you the Hash and Cipher used - it looks like you did this.

As far as your Outer Volume, *I think* if it completed, you are good and it is FAT. Read the documentation to be sure, but IIRC, it will complain if you try NTFS and don't have enough room.

You can install Windows on the decoy partition, and open up TC Portable version from a USB stick, and check the Outer Volume that way...before you install TC on the decoy.

BTW, you don't *have to* encrypt the decoy if you put your current Rescue.iso on a bootable external device (and can boot from it via BIOS). But that is a modification, and not Dev supported.

To be honest, You may want to pull all your important info off of the Hidden OS, or image it in the clear...and start over (Which will have to be to a network location IIRC, as the Hidden OS prevents writing to any local media that isn't also a Hidden device/container...but I *think* a LAN device is writable)...or decrypt. Up to you.

Your Hidden OS should be activated, other than that, you can run any version for the decoy (BUT NOT WINDOWS 8!!!!!!). Be aware that using different versions may compromise plausible deniability.

No clue on Torrent stuff. It should activate just fine, as it's identical hardware...just looks like a re-install. If it's anonymity you want, pay cash, far away, for a copy.

No size requirements for the decoy, other than it has to accept a regular Windows install. Size requirements for the Hidden OS are because it's actually a Hidden Container with an Outer and Hidden portion, and the file system has to be taken into account.

PD

3. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I greatly appreciate your help!

Apparently I can't create a Truecrypt rescue disk from the Hidden OS. I need to boot the Decoy OS in order to do that, which hasn't been created yet.

I am not extremely tech savvy so what is GUI suppose to stand for? What does it do?

That's good because if I used NTFS format then my Hidden OS will be too large relative to the Outer Volume.

Since I am not very tech savvy, I will not even think of doing this. I am so technologically inept that I am struggling with creating a simple Decoy OS :-0

Do I need to do that in case if I accidentally format the D drive (where the Hidden OS resides) and thereby eliminate all important files in the Hidden OS? Maybe I should back up all the important files in the Hidden OS.

By the way, it is not possible to decrypt a Hidden OS unless the Decoy OS is installed (which it hasn't been yet).

How does having a different version of Windows 7 compromise plausible deniability? Good thing I am using the same version of Windows 7 for the decoy and hidden OS.

If I torrent my windows 7, then would I have to burn the ISO image to a DVD in order to install Windows 7 from the pre-boot menu?

An important question about installing Windows 7 on my C drive:

when I am installing I must make sure that Windows 7 doesn't format my entire HDD am I correct? If it formats my HDD in the installation my Hidden OS (which is in the D drive) will be erased am I correct? As long as I don't click on the format option for installing Windows 7, then my D drive (and the Hidden OS and Outer Volume) will remain in tact am I correct? I hope that's the case because the last thing I want is to format my HDD and erase the Hidden OS in the process. In case if that happens should I back up all the files in my Hidden OS?

How do I back up all the files on my Hidden OS? Do you have any good source where I can learn how to properly back up my files?

Thanks for your help.

Hope I wrote down the correct password for the Outer Volume. I have the correct password for the Hidden OS (it is written down since I am still in the process of memorizing it), but what if I forgot the password to the Outer Volume? I am just crossing my fingers that I wrote the correct password for the Outer Volume.

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

To be honest, I don't really have the time to reply properly to each of your questions. My suggestion is to pull all your personal data somehow, and start over. The step by step in the TC Graphical User Interface, is pretty fool proof. Just follow it and have a pencil handy to write down all your choices. The only prerequisite is that you have your single drive, partitioned properly for the Hidden OS - ie. a 100GB C:\ and a 105GB D:\ (or whatever 5% or whatever it is that the Hidden OS requires extra, for FAT), and have some decoy files handy for the Outer volume. You most definitely are prompted to create a Rescue.iso on initial encryption of the first OS - that is then cloned to your second partition...but the Rescue.iso *is* created before the clone somewhere. IIRC, you'll make a second one after Decoy encryption...but I don't encrypt the decoy, so just follow the directions. (That's how I know you create a rescue before the clone). Good luck.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.